p grill guestions?

BZEKE

As the P grill is an anytime dinning, are all the tables for 2 or the number in your party? I enjoy

the MDR because I like to meet people. Also how friendly and fun is the P Grill? I don't want

to pay more for stuffy.

Thanks

Bob

As the P grill is an anytime dinning, are all the tables for 2 or the number in your party? I enjoy

the MDR because I like to meet people. Also how friendly and fun is the P Grill? I don't want

to pay more for stuffy.

Thanks

Bob

As it is smaller, it has a different atmosphere from Britannia. It's not stuffy, just quieter. There are tables of various sizes. I was at a table for 6 and found my tablemates very pleasant, although not inclined to go out after dinner.

Because Britannia is much larger, you can change tables and won't be too conspicuous. In the Grills, however, it would be awkward I think. I was lucky a few times to have congenial tablemates in Britannia, or on occasion one of those tables with a fantastic group with whom to have drinks and go dancing and to the theatre. The Grills are a bit more sedate, it's true. But the cabins are much nicer and far more spacious.

Otherwise, in terms of people, I think there is a variety in all the dining levels, a more or less similar mix.

to pay more for stuffy.

Thanks

Bob

There are tables for two, four and six in Princess Grill. Anytime-dining (or single-seating as Cunard calls it) is great, very flexible. Having said that, the night when everybody dined at the same time (after the Captain's cocktail party) had an extra vibrant atmosphere which wasn't present some other nights.

The smaller Grills restaurants lend themselves to breakfast and lunch. We felt very comfortable in this space during these meal times. Of course during dinner the magnificent Britannia Restaurant must be amazing but the excellent service in the Grills more than makes up for it - I believe.

We found the Grills to be very friendly and not stuffy at all. Of course, this is heavily dependant on the patrons. If you don't like your table mates than move, or wait for them to move. Chances are, if you don't like them, they also don't like you.

We have dined in the Princess Grill many times on Queen Victoria and the Queen Mary and never once found them at all stuffy. We always have a table for 2 but as the tables are positioned fairly close together it is always possible to chat with your neighbours. We have met some lovely people in PG some of whom we are still in contact with and we are meeting up with some friends we made on a previous voyage who will be also travelling on the Queen Elizabeth in early October.

additionally. there are tables for eight in the grills restaurant.

we have always been at the largest tables and the tablemates have been so congenial that most evenings we never went to the shows as our group was much more entertaining.

I've heard there are tables for 8 in Queens Grill but I didn't see any in Princess Grill.

...there are tables for eight in the grills restaurant...

Not at the moment in the PG. I'm on the QM2 now and all PG tables are for 2, 4, or 6. On the British Isles portion of the voyage this worked negatively for me. One couple appeared for the first time on the 2nd night at immediately asked to dine by themselves. This effectively left me with a table for four with people who came only for dinner, where one couple come only very late.

Not at the moment in the PG. I'm on the QM2 now and all PG tables are for 2, 4, or 6. On the British Isles portion of the voyage this worked negatively for me. One couple appeared for the first time on the 2nd night at immediately asked to dine by themselves. This effectively left me with a table for four with people who came only for dinner, where one couple come only very late.

This seems to happen quite often in all dining categories. My PG tablemates were nice, but there was not much group camraderie. This has happened to me in Britannia too. Sometimes you will have people at your table who only want to speak among themselves (a couple, for example).

The luckiest breaks are when you find that table of sociable diners where there is a really good vibe, and you then have a group of shipmates and pals for the entire crossing. It makes all the difference in how much fun you have, very particularly if you are traveling solo. Otherwise, if you are a bit shy with strangers, like me, you might end up wandering around the ship like a ghost for the whole voyage.

I am guilty of table hopping a time or 2 to find a congenial group of tablemates. But then you become a bit sheepish if you run into people from your old table...:p

I have no idea why people do this. I get to eat with my partner every night - it's nice but nothing new anymore. Going on a cruise and have a table for six is an opportunity to meet other people - hopefully nice ones.

Additionally, why pay all that money for the Grills and then have breakfast and lunch elsewhere?

Like in the Britannia, the experience depends on the guests. I have been in Britannia on a stuffy table but have been on a table in the Grills with some lovely people. Luck of the draw. However we now take a table of 3 in the Grills just because we eat quite late. A few years back we had a table of 8 and the other 5 people ate very early so we never saw them. Consequently we were all sitting in a line facing the rest of the restaurant. Since then we have requested a private table as we tend to go to dinner around 8.45. If you all get on and arrange to eat at the same sort of time, it can be great fun though.

We were just in PG on QV. Gorgeous dining room, lovely food and good service. We were on a table of 8 by choice as we like to meet others. 6 of us ended up meeting for drinks before dinner but the other 2 tended to eat early and we would briefly coincide. Perfectly amicable but it seem a bit odd to ask for a table of 8 then studiously ignore that we were all trying to be sociable. Ah well. Takes all sorts. BTW we have also been on a table of 8 in QG. I suppose they make them up according to passengers stated wishes. If no one wants a large table then they dont make one up. Congenial dining companions are just a lucky dip! Good luck all

We usually travel with family in a party of six, or four.

Elderly parents are very hard of hearing, which makes conversing with

other passengers quite difficult and can be misunderstood as being

'aloof' or ignorant. This is not a snub to other diners, and we still

have chance to 'interact' with fellow passengers in other areas of the ship.

Either way, dining is such a lovely occasion in any of the restaurants.

to pay more for stuffy.

Thanks

Bob

We usually went to dinner about 7PM. We normally choose to dine at a table for 2. In the Grills, it's always nice & comfy, plus you can frequently chat with those around you, as the noise level is quite low. You should be able to sit at a table up to 6. Because it's dining from 7-9, you should try to set an arrangement in place as to when to dine. Do remember that all members may not always arrive at the same time. Shore excursions can really tire some folks out, so they may arrive later or even dine in their stateroom.

We usually went to dinner about 7PM. We normally choose to dine at a table for 2. In the Grills, it's always nice & comfy, plus you can frequently chat with those around you, as the noise level is quite low. You should be able to sit at a table up to 6. Because it's dining from 7-9, you should try to set an arrangement in place as to when to dine. Do remember that all members may not always arrive at the same time. Shore excursions can really tire some folks out, so they may arrive later or even dine in their stateroom.

Isn't it 18:30 - 21:00? That's what I remember as the dining room hours.

Isn't it 18:30 - 21:00? That's what I remember as the dining room hours.

I think you are right. It's definitely last orders at 21:00 because we are usually racing down to get there at about 20:55! I'm not so sure about the earliest time though.

I think you are right. It's definitely last orders at 21:00 because we are usually racing down to get there at about 20:55! I'm not so sure about the earliest time though.

This is the info from Cunard's faq.

What times are the dining options?

Britannia Restaurant - Early sitting is at 6.00pm and late sitting is at 8.30pm.

Britannia Club - Single sitting dinner from 6.30pm-9pm

Princess Grill - Single sitting dinner from 6.30pm-9pm

Queens Grill - Single sitting dinner from 6.30pm-9pm

These times relate to the Grills and Britannia dining in the main restaurants. Opening times of any of the other dining venues vary throughout the day.

I remember dinner commencing at 18:30 in the Grills but a lot of people seem to be saying 7pm.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dining_times

Archived