15 days til our first cruise!! Few last minute questions...

firstcruiseoct11

I have to say I found Cruise Critic a few weeks after booking and have learned so much already. Now that it's so close I have a few questions that I would like cleared up. Thanks in advance.

1.) Can we do a cash only sign and sail account? I don't want to give them my card at all!!

2.) We have decided to sail with our birth certificates :eek:. I went to our local vital source and got the long form of our BC. I am also brining my marriage lic. just incase!! Is this all I need? I would hate to get there and it not be the right form!!

I'm sure I have more questions but can't think of any right now. Any other first time cruiser help would be appreciated!!

I have to say I found Cruise Critic a few weeks after booking and have learned so much already. Now that it's so close I have a few questions that I would like cleared up. Thanks in advance.

1.) Can we do a cash only sign and sail account? I don't want to give them my card at all!!

2.) We have decided to sail with our birth certificates :eek:. I went to our local vital source and got the long form of our BC. I am also brining my marriage lic. just incase!! Is this all I need? I would hate to get there and it not be the right form!!

I'm sure I have more questions but can't think of any right now. Any other first time cruiser help would be appreciated!!

Not sure if you just forgot to mention this or if it was just a given but you need government issued photo ID to go along with your birth certificate.

YEP, it's what I do.

YEP, It's what I bring. Getting my PP next time though.

Ask em when ya got em.

1) Yes--just tell them at check-in that you are paying with cash. Then you may have to go to Guest Services onboard and give them the cash to apply to your card.

2) You also need a photo id along with the birth certificate; those two combined should be enough. Marriage license may be needed if anyone has changed their name to show a link between the birth certificate name and the photo identification name.

Your going to have a great cruise! Love the Ecstasy. :)

To answer your 1st question, yes, you can use cash. That's how I've done on both of my cruises. You can ask Guest Services to let you know your balance available at any time.

On your 2nd question, I'm not sure the answer on that. We use passports. I believe the BC must have the raised seal to be the correct one, but hopefully someone will come along with the solid, correct answer. :)

As stated already, you should be fine with what you've got.

However (excuse me while I climb on my soapbox) ...

I understand that sometimes time constraints don't allow you adequate opportunity to obtain a passport before you leave. Our first trip to Mexico, my wife and I didn't have ours either. It all worked out, but it was a little bit of a hassle. When we got back from that first trip, my wife and I, and all the kids (4 total, all but one is a legal adult now), got our passports in order to ensure there would be no problems on future trips. We keep them all together in one envelope in our little fire safe. No hunting for birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. Yes, we still keep the adult children's passports too.

I would recommend planning for the future and getting those passports when you get back, just so you have them before you actually need to have them. Who knows? Maybe you'll want to revisit one of those fantastic exotic ports and spend more than just a few hours.

Have a fantastic time!!! :cool:

I'm traveling with several other families who have their own confirmation #'s but limited access to computers (or just don't know how to run them). How do they set up passport info & S & S info? Can they do it at check in without printing out the Fun Pass?

OOOO...bad move not to do it ahead of time. This will add to the wait because they will have to fill it out there before they can get on the ship. You might want to have a document party and get everyone done at the same time. Make it a family affair:D

Some ports ask to see the fun pass to even get in the building. I know for a fact Charleston and Tampa do. I was behind someone in Tampa that did not have it and they were pulled out of line. They eventually got on but what a hassle to be seperated from the rest of your party.

I'm traveling with several other families who have their own confirmation #'s but limited access to computers (or just don't know how to run them). How do they set up passport info & S & S info? Can they do it at check in without printing out the Fun Pass?

Did they book thru a TA? If so just call the TA and they should be more than happy to help download the required docs for your family/friends.

This will be VERY time consuming at the pier...maybe the TA or the PVP can do it for them. Or maybe you can all get together and do it at your house or their house so you can help them...I don't recommend going to the port without this info filled out. Don't get me wrong, you CAN but you won't be very popular with the rest of the line...

I can't believe what a do-fus I am......but..... in May, I printed everyone's FunPass EXCEPT for mine:mad::mad::mad:. I couldn't believe it ...and took quite a razzing from my fellow cruisers for this.

Fortunately, we arrived at the pier early and were directed to a lady, who was ouside of the terminal that had a list of all of the guests, who took care of us in minutes. I was freaking out, but she said it was not a big deal. She gave us a signed piece of paper that we took to the area where you get your SNS card.

Also, in regards to what info you need....Carnival sent me an e-mail a few days ago, (I am cruising in February) that stated EXACTLY what ID documents are required for my particular cruise. Since I have a passport, I deleted it, or I would have shared.

I thought this was a nice added touch, espically for those that are not sure (such as yourself, OP)and would still have ample time to accomodate. I don't recall ever receiving that e-mail on any previous cruises, so I am not sure if it is something new they are doing:D.

When we first started cruising we did Birth Certs and pix ID. Later got passports and on one cruise we were notified that my wife's Mom was near death and we flew home from Puerto Vallarta. Don't know what kind of hassle that would have been without Passports. OBTW Carnival did an absolutely super job in helping us with this emergency.

Header_CTA_CarnivalLogo_Blue.gifHeader_TopRight_Blue.gifimp_notice.gifInformation regarding Cruise Documents

September 20, 2011

We know that you must be bursting with excitement in anticipation of your upcoming cruise! Guess what? We are, too! We have many fun-filled and memorable activities planned for you and can't wait to welcome you on board.

Now, since we cannot spell FUN without "U", we want to take a moment of your time to remind you of the travel documents you will need to sail with us.

If you are a U.S. citizen, we strongly encourage you to bring an original, valid U.S. passport as this will expedite your debark process and will be required if you need to return home by air due to an unexpected emergency.

Alternatively, you may also bring one of the following acceptable travel documents:

• Passport Card
  • Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)
  • Original Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Enhanced Tribal Card (Native American Indians)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Originals or copies of the following will NOT be allowed:

• Baptismal Certificate
  • Hospital "Certificate of Birth"

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests 16 years and older. For more information on Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant documents, Click Here or visit us at carnival.com.

If you are a Non-U.S. citizen, it is important you contact your travel agent or consulate.

Also, don't forget to pre-register online since it will speed up your check-in process at the pier and get you onboard faster. To do that, visit us at Carnival.Com/BookedGuests. From there, you will be able to print your boarding pass, luggage tags and other cruise documents.

Thanks for choosing Carnival and see you soon!

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President, Guest Services

Carnival Cruise Lines

Archived