San Francisco Cruisers

aaerobear

Yes, we are back to reality...and not easily, either. Eggs benedict in the Crystal Dining room on disembarkation morning, followed by Hamburger Helper at home for dinner! Talk about a riches to rags story.......

A fabulous cruise on Crystal as DESTCRZ and JohnM reported. FOD parties, terrific weather, great scenery, yummy food and phabulous cocktails. And by the way, the martini story by DESTCRZ is twisted, but consider the source....... JohnM....you and Bob appeared to be having the time of your lives. Is that a safe assumption? Is Crystal a 'good fit' for you ?? !! ??

Until the complete photos get published on the World Wide Web, here's one for the time being........

1380327383_alaska2005132.jpg.4e364200da916de42b4dc87db4368d9f.jpg

Forgive the ignorance (keep still, DESTCRZ) but what DATE is "Pink Saturday"? If there's a gathering at Martuni's, we wanna be there if at all possible!

Tedson and/or Blazerboy.......I'm 99.9% positive we can't do the 6-night Infinity cruise, but what's the dirt on the BIG fare reduction? I love that itinerary...and love that ship!

In response to BEAV's question, Crystal is a 'FABULOUS' fit for us. If you have sailed on one of the mass market lines and then on Crystal the differences markedly favor Crystal. I took the six classes to learn how to play Yamaha's keyboard given by the wonderful teacher, Robin Clary. She got a free cruise, along with her husband, to provide six morning and six afternoon classes. I bought a Yamaha keyboard on our return which should arrive here in the next few days. Everything about Crystal was done with an understated elegance. Bob and I are tyring to decide what our next cruise will be. We are looking at Serenity 5323 in the Med; however, the jury is out until our TA can provide info on airfare. Celebrity Century also has a Barcelona to Miami in October which looks good but I think it is sold out at the point because they were offering free air.

Beav,

Pink Saturday is simply the Saturday before the Pride Parade on Sunday (this year, June 25th). I think the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence run it as a fundraiser, and they basically close down the Castro for traffic, and it's one big street party...and when I was younger/single, I never missed one, but now, I plan my life around missing it, thus the drinks at Martuni's outside the Castro on the early side, followed by dinner down near the Embarcadero for us! Not to say you shouldn't go to Pink Saturday- just not my thing anymore.:)

Re: 6-day cruise (8/28 on Infinity, Vancouver to S.F.)- First it's a repo cruise, and some people avoid those. Also seems as though the ports aren't very inspiring to those who like a port-intensive cruise, and it's not a longer cruise for those who don't like shorter cruises, and it's too short to attract too many people from other parts of the world. It butts up against Labor Day Weekend, when others have plans with families, and it's immediately after a (Gay) charter. I think these things all combined made it a real bargain in the first place, and still not selling well, an even better bargain now. Someone just booked a Sky Suite, and got one of the really popular ones, so last minute bargains might available- we were able to get the really large CC on PH deck, which is usually booked as soon as they open bookings. So there you go. I posted over on the Atlantis thread for the Alaska crusie preceding this one that this would be a nice option to extend that cruise and end up in S.F for Labor day weekend, and several guys said they were looking into it. Other than that, I know of about a dozen guys going on this one. Should be a fun, quick, cheap, relaxing cruise! And starting at less than $95/night pp, should be very tempting to S.F'ers- Wait, do I sound like a Celebrity shill? :D

Andrew

Welcome back, Beav! Sure we can't tempt you to take an "Infinitely" great cruise??? Andrew, I'm still getting through the huge roll-call thread for 8/28 (up to 4/15 right now)...is Brucemcdou still going?

Tedson,

Haven't heard otherwise, but you'll see my comments a few times through the thread that this isn't a cult, and people can participate as much or as little as they want in both Rollcall and organized activities. I think that Bruce and his partner, as well as another gay couple, are taking the wait and see attitude towards participating before/during the cruise. It's what Ed does, too. Me, I expect to know half the ship by Victoria!:D. Different cruising/posting styles for us all.:) It's actually why cruising suits us as a couple, because I can be out there socializing, he can rest, and we can still spend lots of time together with out major logistics challenges that land-based vacatons would provide trying to accomplish the same thing. Our friends, Adnan and Paul are joining us, but politely declined to participate in cruise critics- just not their thing, but it's all good, as they say.

Andrew

Is anyone working on a possible date for a 'San Francisco' cruise critic get together. I thought I read some interest earlier on this post. My partner and I would like to be included. Those FABULOUS guys in the East Bay (maybe also girls--I don't remember) had a get together which worked to their satisfaction--perhaps in Walnut Creek and perhaps at a Starbucks? I think we should do it and invite all to our great city to enjoy each other's company. I will be happy to do whatever for planning purposes. If Starbucks is the venue, I know there is a Starbucks in the Castro. Please advise if anyone has interest. Tks

John, the only proposed meet and greet so far is the get-together at Martuni's (On Market St., at Valencia for the uninitiated) on Saturday, June 25, from 5 to 7, and in the back room by the piano, if that room is open. Hope you (all of you) can make it!

Andrew

BLAZERBOY--Thanks for the info. Bob and I will be there. I hope the cruise critics from the East Bay, and all other Bay area guys & gals will join us. I think that day is Pink Saturday and the day of the Dyke March which I believe starts at 6PM or thereabouts. But, I digress! Bob and I will be there. P.S.--A cetain note to West Virginia cruisers (who we just met on Harmony--they know who they are)--we will not be wearing Piggy and Kermit costumes! Nor will I be wearing a certain blonde hairstyle as worn by Ms. Jeckle/Ms. Hyde on our last Harmony cruise. I hear from my husband that she attacked him (due to his cowboy wear) after severe--eal cocktails. Then we heard that she was not allowed to continue for a back-to-back on Harmony. We don't know if it was decided by her patron, her husband (most probably not Crystal)! Inquiring minds want to know the REAL truth!

Hi All--We had the pleasure to meet DESTRCRZ (Mike and Bob) from West Virginia and again meet BEAV (Brian and Gary) from Walnut Creek on this cruise. Don't tell anyone, but Brian and Gary celebrated their 10th anniversary on this cruise!!! How great is that???

Aren't they all just the best guys you've ever met on a ship? :D

I can't even tell you the number of laughs we had with them, both on our cruise and since in emails !!!

I did NOT know however that this was the big 10th anniversary for Brian and Gary. Our belated congratulations go out to them -- we'll see if we can't think up something 'real special' for you guys when we see ya in October!

Dave and Paul

Jeff and I plan to be at Martuni's on Saturday the 25th, and are bringing a couple more of the SF cruisers with us. Looks to be a fun get-together. i will probably wear one of the polo's or baseball caps I have gotten on our cruises.

Also look for the baseball cap that says "aaerobear" now that is a good give away

Ed/Jeff

Wish we could join everyone at Martuni's, but we will be flying to Vancouver on the 25th to sail Infinity on the 26th. She is a great ship.

We have lived in San Francisco for 28 years and this is the first Pride weekend we have ever missed! Love Pink Saturday in the Castro! It's like the weekend before Halloween when the locals and fun loving people actually party! Have a blast everyone. Enjoy the weekend.

Hope to make the next meeting of Bay Area Cruisers.

Les and David

"We have lived in San Francisco for 28 years and this is the first Pride weekend we have ever missed!"

I've lived here nearly 40 years, and have never gone to the parade! Watch it on TV from time to time.

Tedson,

The TRUE, genuine SF cruisers probably gave up on the thread after those of us surburbanites from the East Bay orchestrated the 'hostile takeover' !!! Did we rain on their parade?

Would LOVE to crash the party at Martuni's this Saturday, but will be out of town. Otherwise, we'd be there with bells on (not to mention a few other accessories!).

Hope ya'll have a PHAB time at Martunis! JohnM, Bob, Tedson & Blazerboy....each of you have one for me, okay?

Thanks for all the greetings and well wishes. Gary and I celebrated in the City last night. Nice dinner along the Embarcadero at Tonno Rosso. Perfect table along the sidewalk, with the doors open as it was a nice, sunny evening. Not sure if it was the wine or the cute joggers waltzing by that made the evening magical. Perhaps both !!!

Happy Pride weekend everyone! Remember, for those that want to join in, some of us are meeting on Saturday, June 25 from 5 to 7 at Martuni's (Market @ Valencia) for a San Francisco Cruisers informal gathering. Everyone's welcome. If it's open, we'll probably be in the back room near the Piano. And, Yes, I'll be in a blazer!:D

For a visual for those I haven't met, there's a photo of me with the dog on my profile page, to make meeting at Martuni's a little easier (wish I still looked that good- a dear friend saw that photo and asked how much vasseline was on the lens, or did I use Photoshop? - if he didn't have a house in P-town on the water that I'm using this summer, not sure I'd still be talking to him!):eek:

Andrew

Les & David, Dave & Paul,

Have a wonderful cruise on the Infinity :)

Andrew (and anyone else attending the festivities tomorrow),

There's 4 of us going...Larry (who you met at the C6), my parter Ralph, our friend KC from Berkeley, and me. If you see 4 guys walk in with blazers, flag us down :D