Venice hotel for family of 7?

World Gallery

I have checked out a few hotels mentioned here but we are having a hard time finding one for a family of 7: 2 adults and 5 kids ages 10 - 17. We need a triple and quad fo rone night (some I contacted have a 2 night min.). Any suggestions? Nothing fancy, just AC, good location with easy access from the airport and not too far from the cruise pier.

Which ones have you checked? (so that people don't keep recommending them as an option)

With a family of 7 if you might consider travelling by water taxi, then you can pretty much stay anywhere that's within a block of a canal. The water taxi can take you to the pier as well. It would be 100E+ from the airport, but the airport express bus is 5E pp. Try this site for a cost estimate. http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/

This hotel is by the train station, just across the canal from Piazzale Roma. From P Roma you can take the People Mover to the pier for 1E or your ship's shuttle if they provide one. (Or a taxi if you can't manage your luggage) So a convenient location.

http://www.hotelslucia.com/rooms.htm

The hotel Venezia in Mestre has quad and triple rooms and is convenient for the airport. It is a short taxi ride to the port. Before people say "but this is not in Venice itself" I have suggested it purely because it meets your criteria plus it is a very pleasant hotel. The restaurant is excellent & the hotel has AC. There is a bus stop into central Venice from just outside should you want to do sightseeing. It may be worth you googling it.

Which ones have you checked? (so that people don't keep recommending them as an option)

With a family of 7 if you might consider travelling by water taxi, then you can pretty much stay anywhere that's within a block of a canal. The water taxi can take you to the pier as well. It would be 100E+ from the airport, but the airport express bus is 5E pp. Try this site for a cost estimate. http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/

This hotel is by the train station, just across the canal from Piazzale Roma. From P Roma you can take the People Mover to the pier for 1E or your ship's shuttle if they provide one. (Or a taxi if you can't manage your luggage) So a convenient location.

http://www.hotelslucia.com/rooms.htm

Hi Mapleleaves, did you stay at the Santa Lucia hotel? I have booked it for our upcoming 3 nights in Venice in October. I chose it because of price and location (have an early train departure). I have finally learned that I usually pay way too much for a hotel with all the bells and whistles, only to never use the facilities because we are out touring/sight-seeing all day! I would be happy to hear of your experience here, and I am more than happy to post my experiences upon my return!

my family of 6 is staying in a 3 bedroom apt for one nite pre cruise in Santa Croce for 200E. Venezia Rezidencia or something like that.

you should be looking for apartments..go to booking.com.. hotels.com

no prepayment and cancellation with no fees up to a day before.

mrgreyhound, I must confess; I didn't stay at the Santa Lucia but I did check it out!

I tried to economize for our trip last yr because we had a 1 week cruise plus 2 weeks land travel, with 2 separate stays in Venice. I narrowed my choices to 2 budget hotels: the Dalla Mora which had a view of a small canal, and the Santa Lucia. I chose the Dalla Mora because of the view. Wrong choice.

I stopped by the Santa Lucia to check it out as a possibility for the next trip. I wish we had stayed there! It's a basic, no frills kind of place, but very clean, family run and has a lovely garden. (and friendly staff). I liked what I saw; if I return next spring, I plan on staying there.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Please write back after your stay and let us know.

mrgreyhound, I must confess; I didn't stay at the Santa Lucia but I did check it out!

I tried to economize for our trip last yr because we had a 1 week cruise plus 2 weeks land travel, with 2 separate stays in Venice. I narrowed my choices to 2 budget hotels: the Dalla Mora which had a view of a small canal, and the Santa Lucia. I chose the Dalla Mora because of the view. Wrong choice.

I stopped by the Santa Lucia to check it out as a possibility for the next trip. I wish we had stayed there! It's a basic, no frills kind of place, but very clean, family run and has a lovely garden. (and friendly staff). I liked what I saw; if I return next spring, I plan on staying there.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Please write back after your stay and let us know.

Hi Mapleleaves, glad to hear that you checked it out in person! I did look at the reviews on TripAdvisor and actually contacted one reviewer in regards to the breakfast. The hotel seems to be accomodating, in the fact that once you are there, you can decide if you want to have their breakfast (10 euros) or not. Cost is per night, not per person - the reviewer said he did not have the breakfast at the hotel but went to brek (cafe down the road), so I may look at both options! I hate to pay for something if I am not going to have it, so the saturday when we have the early train departure - I have already informed the hotel that we won't partake, and I can stop in Brek to get my coffee on the way to the train station. While it is not a lot of money, I still try to always get value - and again, this hotel seemed to fit my needs since I know we will be out all day! I will be more than happy to come back and post with actuals! thanks again!

I don't know if you've looked in this site yet, but here is a short list of places near the train station. Some have triples. (Also try al gallion. They'll put an extra bed in a triple.)

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-railroad-station-hotels-3.htm

Have you posted to tripadvisor for suggestions? The destination experts there might be able to offer new options. That's generally my first choice for any land-based information.

And don't rule out Mestre. It's on the mainland, across the causeway from Venice so an easy 10 minute bus or train ride away for easy access.

We stayed at the Antiche Figure in July for one night before a cruise. There were four of us in one room. It was a little tight, but manageable for one night. The breakfast was very good - great capuccino. It was very clean and the staff suggested a really good restaurant around the corner for dinner.

My daughters are 16 and 19 and we walked to the pier in the morning with our luggage.

It was a nice hotel in a perfect location. We'd stay there again.

We booked the Hotel Arlecchino. After looking at the limited options for a quad and triple, then ruling out the hotels that were booked for our date (June 2nd), it was somewhat easy to chose.

I found it be using the link Mapleleaves posted:

I don't know if you've looked in this site yet, but here is a short list of places near the train station. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...n-hotels-3.htm

Thanks!

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Arlecchino? Any feedback?

tripadvisor and venere are good sites to read hotel reviews. Reviews are so subjective but often times you'll find a common theme or description. (I tend to dismiss reviews written by people who've only written 1).

At least you have rooms secured so you don't have to worry. And if you want to look for something more economical you've got lots of time to do so.

veniceby.com is another site to look at. I entered 4 adults just to see if quads showed up and several did. The site includes reviews as well but you can also check the reviews in TA or venere.

http://www.veniceby.com/cgi/intsearchpowerwide.cgi

Archived