What does Carnival do with lost children?

slotten

I saw a program sometime ago about telling kids who to ask for help in when lost.

It was something like this:

First choice, ask a person in uniform, police, crew, security, etc

Second choice, ask a woman with children, a mother or grandmother

Third choice, ask a woman, any woman

Makes perfect sense to me.

My youngest DS (Now 18) was notorious for roaming away and getting "Lost" when he was little.

In the second it would take to pay the cashier , he would be on the other side of the store.

In a department store , the first place we would look was the toy department and he would would always be there. But with all our kids we always set up a meeting place.

It does scare the hell out of you when they go missing .

I saw a program sometime ago about telling kids who to ask for help in when lost.

why did you remove the men/man?

you might consider an ID card. Sometimes you can get one at the DMV. A non driver type. go to the pursers desk and get them to punch a hole and get a lanyard. I would then threaten the childs life if they did not have it on. It can be worn like a necklace under a shirt and shown to a crew member. You might make a card with Mom and Dads name and room number on it and have it laminated. One of those stretchey snug fitting braceletts might work for older children.

Or send them to me I need lawn workers;)

why did you remove the men/man?

Because I am a little fuzzy about the last choices. It was not any man, or any father. There were some more qualifiers, age, whether there was a woman present, blahblah. And there was a type of men a child should avoid at all cost but I don't remember what. So wouldn't want to give the wrong impression.

Also, the program also mentioned it's important not to give too long a list which would confuse the kid. I remember the top three very clearly and think they should be good enough on a cruise ship.

As the Mother of an autistic child I have more paranoia than most! DS has slipped out of my hands more than once. when traveling or going to crowded places when he was small I used hospital type blank armbands available online. you simply write whatever info you need to with a sharpie. I used my cell #. on the ship you might put your name and cabin # so you could be paged or the child can use it to remember the cabin#. you can also order temporary tattoos with a spot on them to write info. these work well as they last several days and the child cannot remove them. on a carnival ship, most children are enrolled in one of the kids programs, I believe if found they are brought to the approprite program for identification and reunification. Makes you wonder though, how many parents might be tempted to wait a little while before claiming their child!

On my first cruise, I was afraid that my son would not remember his room number if he got

separated from us. I wrote his room number in ink on his belly, upside down so he could read it if he picked up his shirt. It seems kind of silly now, but it gave me some piece of mind.

This is a serious question but the title does make one feel compelled to seep sarcasm. My first though was "Lock em in a closet ? ". Prevention is worth a pound of cure. I started with my child as soon as he could identify numbers looking for addresses, office numbers, hotel rooms and cabins. Every time we cruise I make him find our cabin and only follow his directions and he figures it out pretty fast .. Avoiding the getting lost problem. Should we get separated he knows to the first public area he sees and find a uniformed person and stay there until I get there. If asked to go with uniformed person politely so no and wait. Just because they are in a uniform doesnt automatically give them nice person credentials. Start practicing now when you are shopping and in public areas... NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR CHILD. but let then lose site of you. Make it a game and it will give them convidence to handle the situation and know what to do with out being scared.

We will be on the Legend during Thanksgiving and I am wondering what Carnival's policy is if a lost child is found. 1 1/2 years ago, when we were on the Disney Magic, I was finishing filling our sodas and my son walked out to the elevator, pushed the button and got on it. Then just as I was walking out there, the doors shut!! Luckily he had his wristband on from the Kids Club, and their policy was to take any lost children to the kids club. I looked for him for a bit, then went to the kids club and found him there. He had taaken the elevator from the pool deck all the way down to the 2nd floor!! He was located by an employee and taken to the kids club. I don't expect this to happen again, but would like to know ahead of time just in case. On Disney, the wrist bands have a chip and are scanned and the employee can get their info that way. (Parents have a matching band). I have read that Carnival only gives their muster location on the wrist bands, so I am trying to figure out if I should add something to that wrist band or have him wear another with our boooking number or something. Any thoughts from other parents is very much appreciated.

Hmmm, as the fuel tax isn't applied - row - row - row the boat (ship)....

I think your correct, with your first choice, I am not sure for second and third.

But I guess there are no woman listed on any of the sex offender websites, in the news for child abuse, and never break the law.

Or are there?

I think the best thing would be don't forget you have your kids with you and keep an eye on them. Remember You brought them, You watch them. Or leave them home.

The "stranger danger" thing is probably one of the biggest reasons for childhood obesity today (that, and the strange idea by many parents that their job is to stuff their kids full of food and electronic entertainment). Seems like we'd rather have the kids stashed away in their virtual rooms than experiencing real life, real people, and a real world.

It's silly to think that a kid can't simply ask a person for help, especially on a cruise ship where there is so much camera surveillance. In that situation, the biggest risk is to the person who is asked, for fear of being accused of ill-intent if he so much as guides the child to the purser's desk.

The idea that most people - particularly men - should be considered threatening to kids is silly and doesn't have any statistical evidence to support it. That's not to say it never happens, but kids are most likely to be harmed (or killed) by things such as bicycling without a helmet, getting into an automobile, parental neglect and abuse, and congenital defects and cancer. Look up CDC vital statistics sometime. I recommend reading "The Culture of Fear - Why Americans are afraid of the wrong things."

i've heard similar advice, and it was because some very high percentage, probably like 95% of child molesters are men, so statistically telling a child to look for a woman is a lot safer ...

yeah, but what percentage of men are child molesters? SHEESH!

and i always heard there's an extrememly high percentage that the molester is some one you know!

and in these new pc times, what happens if chaz bono is on your cruise?

Thank you to everyone for all the great ideas. I think I am going to get the wristband to put info on as that will then always be on him. My concern with him having a card on a lanyard or wristband, or a cell phone/two way radio, is that he would forget it somewhere. Putting something in his pocket would be great, but he doesn't have pockets in many of his shorts. I figure if I make sure the first day he knows how to get to camp carnival from many different locations, and knows what floor it is on, we should be good. As long as it doesn't make him think it is no big deal for him to wander off!!! Again, thanks for all the wonderful ideas, some great ones to use on land vacations as well...

yeah, but what percentage of men are child molesters? SHEESH!

I've read that 75% of child molesters are white males. That still leaves 25% for others (black males, women, etc.) but that is probably why the poster recommended women with/without children as a 2nd choice. Makes sense to me.

Personally I like the idea to have my child stay where he is at and count to 100, though after that I would suggest he find a person in uniform and not try to find our cabin on his own.

I've read that 75% of child molesters are white males. That still leaves 25% for others (black males, women, etc.) but that is probably why the poster recommended women with/without children as a 2nd choice. Makes sense to me.

Personally I like the idea to have my child stay where he is at and count to 100, though after that I would suggest he find a person in uniform and not try to find our cabin on his own.

please reread my question.

I believe a set place is best..if feasable..change set place as you go along too..when necessary...and then again when kids are to young stay put is good...

Our very rare oldest kids fly with folks trip to east coast...Washington DC day..Camera gets left at Church of the President's pew..we are in Smithsonian Cafeteria...Dad realizes...gets steamed runs out and Mom says "where will I meet you"..dad yells back in anger .."at the Smithsonian!!!!!" LOL..Kids want to die..people rolling eyes..audible in restaurant.."that's blah blah number of buildings..."

So we spend all day with mom at the coins because she knew that was high on his list..dad and retrieved cam. spend all day at the dinosaurs knowing little sis wants that....great thread..good question..

I am really looking forward 40 years later to seeing more of the Smithsonian...LOL..Sarah

A few years ago we were on a cruise and I was standing near an elevator waiting to go wherever. A young girl, about 9 or 10 was standing there all alone and crying. I asked her what was wrong and she said she was lost. I asked her if she knew her cabin number. She said no. I asked her if she knew where her parents were going. She said no.

I was really worried and tried to talk to her and calm her down. There was a phone nearby and I told her to stand there and not talk to anyone that I was going to call security. She was afraid to stand there alone, but I didn't want to have any problems having her move to where the phone was. I told her I could see her from the phone and not to worry. She was such a sweet little girl and I was worried about her.

I started to walk to the phone and someone else decided to call someone on it so I had to wait. All this took about 10 minutes. I went to the phone eventually to call security. Just then the elevator opened and her parents walked out. Not a care in the world. I wanted to wring their necks! They just walked up to her and went on as if she wasn't lost or alone or anything.

I guess what I am trying to say is be sure the child knows to go to the guest relations desk or some place you feel is safe. I don't know that having a young child know the cabin number is the way to go as a predator might then be watching the cabin. I know I asked her the cabin number as I thought I would call the cabin and tell her parents that she was upset.

please reread my question.

no ... the logic is as follows ... that if a very high percentage of child molesters are male, then you have a much higher chance of the child connecting with a BAD ADULT if they talk to a man than if they talk to a woman.

it's not making any claims about what percentage of men are child molesters ... but given the chance that it's a .00001 percent chance that my child talks to a child molester versus a .0000000000001 percent chance, i'm going to direct them to go for the lower-risk scenario, and talk to a woman, preferrably one with kids.

no claims were made about what percentage of the general population -- male or female -- are child molesters. and honestly, my gut instinct is that it's a ship, it's a closed box, and a missing kid can't really get far even if they evade a watchful parent's eye. but since the OP asked for suggestions on how to instruct/label/protecct a little one ...

no ... the logic is as follows ... that if a very high percentage of child molesters are male, then you have a much higher chance of the child connecting with a BAD ADULT if they talk to a man than if they talk to a woman.

it's not making any claims about what percentage of men are child molesters ... but given the chance that it's a .00001 percent chance that my child talks to a child molester versus a .0000000000001 percent chance, i'm going to direct them to go for the lower-risk scenario, and talk to a woman, preferrably one with kids.

no claims were made about what percentage of the general population -- male or female -- are child molesters. and honestly, my gut instinct is that it's a ship, it's a closed box, and a missing kid can't really get far even if they evade a watchful parent's eye. but since the OP asked for suggestions on how to instruct/label/protecct a little one ...

Like response..this is not being abusive to men..but percentages..yes low percentages of women abuse to this degree we are speaking here..often as couples with a guy however, especially with strange kids....or just their own kids...but again more rare odds.

On a ship some other options we have spoken of here are good too..there are a percentage of wackos on every ship..matches the population and is and there is an attraction to them due to easier access and not as tough of laws..and more ways to play the game, I like another mother and child the best.....Sarah

Check out some places with officers and stewards and the kiddie areas for rendezvous places and navigating to them if kid is savey enough...the coffee shop girl you may like...get a feel for some safe workers and use your gut for good rendezvous areas and practice confidence in your kids getting there.

The link CoonCat provided is good and it does give an answer to the question everyone is beginning to argue about:

"Statistically, a mother with children is the safest bet for your kid," Wilson says. "Women will generally commit more time to helping your child because men are afraid that if they help they'll be targeted as a predator."

That said, if the OP comes back to this thread, please do read the article referenced. It gives good suggestions. I'm not sure I would tell a 5 year old to find any particular meeting spot on a ship; that's too difficult when they are lost and scared.

Knowing your REAL name and calling out for you will absolutely get someone's attention (you probably should tell him to go to the nearest area with people in it, as opposed to standing alone in a hallway) and get him some help.

Archived