mom had hip surgery-when can she cruise

seaofblue

my parents are booked for their first cruise ( 7 day-legend dec 11 ) my mom fell and broke her hip and had hip replacement 5 weeks ago- her next next doctor visit ( X rays ) is not until after final payment is due--anyone have experience of cruising/flying 3 months after major surgery?:confused:

depends on how well your mom pushes during theraphy, the first 3 months are the most important while the bones are setting.

My sister fell the morning we were boarding conquest and broke her shoulder .. we still did the cruise. Heck if it had been her leg, Id have gotten a wheelchair and pushed her around for the rest of the cruise. will your dad do that some times if your mom needs it.

a lot depends on your parents.

iv had several friends get hip replacement surgery. One did a Hawaii cruise less than a month later and said it was the best theraphy possible to push herself to walk.

Our friend had a hip replacement the last week of August. We went to New York with them the week of September 10th. We flew Pgh to Boston, Boston to New York, then New York to Pgh. He had no problems flying whatsoever, except for the special search at the airport.

He walked all over the place. I guess it depends on the general health of your mother.

I had hip replacement surgery and cruised 9 months after. I did a horseback riding excursion and I was really nervous but everything was great. If your mom works really hard on her PT and does all her exercises, she should be fine as long as she doesn't overdue it on the cruise. You might think about requesting a handicap cabin. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

like others are saying, either check about travel insurance that won't consider this a pre-existing condition or move up the doctor's visit.

it really depends on your mum's healing speed. one of my friends had a hip replacement in her late 30's -- ack! -- and had all sorts of complications involving throwing blood clots. a cruise would not have been a good place for her because of the severity of the complications, but i've known older people that had no real complications. it all depends on the universe and luck and health.

good luck on your mum's healing.

I had knee replaced in early Nov and cruised end of March. Knees are more difficult than hips. She will probably be fine, although should get the doctor to ok it. It will be 4 months, mine was 5. How is she doing now? That should give you some indication as to how she will be doing. It also depends on how old she is of course.

This is a question right up my boat. No pun intended. I have been an Orthopedic PA for the last 4 years. Going by the experience I have had with the doctors I work with, she should be cleared and able to go on the cruise. Usually by the 3 month period we remove the hip precautions from a patient. Probably as you know these are sitting on low toilet seats, not bending or crossing legs, and using high seats. Once you have a hip replacement you are always at risk for dislocation but with the technology and surgical procedure being done now that risk has decreased.

Please realize the overall say goes to the physician taking care of your parent. If he or she feels that she isn't ready to cruise you need to be ready for that. It sounds like you are worried she might not be ready and you might lose your cruise money. In this respect I would move the appointment up so it is before the final payment due date.

Finally, for your sanity I would ask the doctor for a note saying that your parent has a hip replacement for the TSA to read. They will probably screen her parent differently because of that. Also it won't cause weird looks at the checkpoint if the medical detector goes off.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask them here. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Finally, for your sanity I would ask the doctor for a note saying that your parent has a hip replacement for the TSA to read. They will probably screen her parent differently because of that. Also it won't cause weird looks at the checkpoint if the medical detector goes off. ...

From my experience- don't bother. They don't want to see it. Tell them you have a new hip (knee, etc), if you are using your cane you will go through handicapped (Yea- much quicker) screening, mention it as you make the machine beep, and I try to get in the machine lines- easier than a pat down.As my doctor noted- how easy it is this days to come up with a fake note saying you have an artificial joint. They see artificial joints all the time and know how to determine if it is that or something more sinister.

my parents are booked for their first cruise ( 7 day-legend dec 11 ) my mom fell and broke her hip and had hip replacement 5 weeks ago- her next next doctor visit ( X rays ) is not until after final payment is due--anyone have experience of cruising/flying 3 months after major surgery?:confused:

My uncle had hip surgery 4 months before cruising and he got off at the 1st port and flew home.He used the CCL guarantee,but it was really because he did not feel safe and secure with his balance as the ship moved.He is also overweight so that affected his walking,getting up,sitting down....you get the point

travel alot with my best friend and her daughter - mom has 2 knees, hip and shoulder replaced - daughter has 2 hips. yes they are screened differently but we all get through without too much hassel. travel with a pacemaker friiend also. tsa loves us!!!!

Your best bet would be to consult with your doctor and let them determine if your mom will be healed enough to fly/cruise.

Best of luck and hopefully it works out for you!

Finally, for your sanity I would ask the doctor for a note saying that your parent has a hip replacement for the TSA to read. They will probably screen her parent differently because of that. Also it won't cause weird looks at the checkpoint if the medical detector goes off. ...

From my experience- don't bother. They don't want to see it. Tell them you have a new hip (knee, etc), if you are using your cane you will go through handicapped (Yea- much quicker) screening, mention it as you make the machine beep, and I try to get in the machine lines- easier than a pat down.As my doctor noted- how easy it is this days to come up with a fake note saying you have an artificial joint. They see artificial joints all the time and know how to determine if it is that or something more sinister.

I agree, TSA doesn't care about the card my DH carries.

He had total hip replacement surgery almost 2 years ago. We did the Pride of America Hawaiian cruise 4 months later. This involved long flights from Florida to Hawaii and back along with the cruise. He did great! He even climbed the ladders in the USS Bowfin.

My advice, go for the body scanner. He hasn't set that one off. It is so much quicker than a pat down.

A friend of mine just returned to work after being off three months due to a hip replacement. She has a bit of a limp and I dont think she would want to do a lot of walking but I suspect she could hold her own on a cruise. It depends on the person, but I wouldnt rule it out yet. I hope your mom has a swift recovery!

A lot depends on which type of replacement was done. There is a fairly new procedure called the anterior approach which means that they go in through the front of the hip and not the back. I had this type done a couple of years ago and it is great! My incision is on the outside of my upper thigh. This way there is less damage to muscles as they go in to replace the hip. Also there are no restrictions as to sitting, bending etc. like there is with the back approach.

If you want more information Google Anterior Approach Hip Replacement. I'm so glad that I found a surgeon who is trained in this procedure.

I was driving in 10 days, had no pysical therapy and within two weeks I was much better walking than I was before the surgery.

But as others have said, ask her doctor.

I have two knee replacements and my husband, a hip replacement, and before I even go through the security machine, I just tell them I have replacements, so when it goes off, no surprise. Not embarrassing at all. I like the new machine where they scan your whole bady, that way there is no touching, but the pat down does not bother me, as I know the security people don't get any thrill out of it either.

Depending on your mom's age, healing may vary but I do not think she will have a problem, just no horsebacking riding or segways(sp?):D

Archived