Upsells

barb-ottawa

Luck? Mostly past history or type of party with you.

I agree, pure luck. This is my 9th cruise with NCL and I have never got an upsell call from the Fairy Godmother. I am not sure how it works, but my last cruise was on the july 29th sailing and someone from our roll call got an upsell call (balcony to suite) and it was their first time crusing with NCL. I also met some passengers who received an upsell many yrs ago, so it happens to be all luck, or maybe there is a computer program that randomly selects certain state rooms....

One will never know the mystery,,

Lisa

Luck? Mostly past history or type of party with you.

I agree, pure luck. This is my 9th cruise with NCL and I have never got an upsell call from the Fairy Godmother. I am not sure how it works, but my last cruise was on the july 29th sailing and someone from our roll call got an upsell call (balcony to suite) and it was their first time crusing with NCL. I also met some passengers who received an upsell many yrs ago, so it happens to be all luck, or maybe there is a computer program that randomly selects certain state rooms....

One will never know the mystery,,

Lisa

I have gotten the call a few times, but I have sailed on Ncl and other lines, I tend to overspend onboard, I book high level rooms regularly.

I talked to someone that got an UPSELL the day before the cruise, outside to 2 bedroom. They had a family of 4 and were with other people in suites. They were first time cruisers.

My husband and I will be going on our 4th NCL cruise in October and wondered about upsells. We have never had a call from the "cruise fairy" as I've heard them called and wondered if there was any secret to getting these upsell offers.

Since we began booking suites, we've been called every cruise. This makes sense because NCL wants to free up lower level rooms by moving people to higher categories and it is easier to sell lower level rooms at the last minute. I suspect that it has little to do with luck and more to do with the stateroom category you initially book. There may be an element of luck if you book inside staterooms only, as you'll be lumped in with everyone else who is in your category level. I had someone from NCL explain it to me once and was told that they start with upsells within the suite categories before offering balcony staterooms an upsell to suite level and so on. As they move down in the category levels to offer upsells, there is less likelihood you will be called because there are far more low category rooms than higher category rooms.

Since we began booking suites, we've been called every cruise. This makes sense because NCL wants to free up lower level rooms by moving people to higher categories and it is easier to sell lower level rooms at the last minute. I suspect that it has little to do with luck and more to do with the stateroom category you initially book. There may be an element of luck if you book inside staterooms only, as you'll be lumped in with everyone else who is in your category level. I had someone from NCL explain it to me once and was told that they start with upsells within the suite categories before offering balcony staterooms an upsell to suite level and so on. As they move down in the category levels to offer upsells, there is less likelihood you will be called because there are far more low category rooms than higher category rooms.

This makes sense to me. The only time we got the call was when we booked a suite. Went from SF to CV.

It all starts with price drops. If your cruise has cabins dropping in price up to the 7-14 day mark before the cruise then your chances are better. NCL is going to try to get as many people as possible to upgrade on their own and try to entice the last minute deal people in this way.

Once it gets to crunch time for them, which is up to interpretation, I'd imagine it could be anywhere between 14 and 0 days before the cruise they try to up-sell the passengers that are already booked to more expensive rooms at a discount, because they would rather have people in the more expensive rooms than empty.

Then I'd imagine they start with who they deem most likely to take the up-sell. They are not going to call an inside cabin on an up-sell to a GV. They most likely call the mini-suite guests to upgrade to full suites as they have the most expensive non-suite cabins and would be most likely to take the up-sell.

Then they go on from there. My TA told me that NCL never calls them for up-sells for their guests. Not sure why, but eh. I'd rather have the perks.

Archived