First post -- but second HAL Alaska cruise -- depart 13 May 2005

BIWOZ

G'day!

My name's Bruce. My wife and I and another couple are booked on the Statendam for our second Alaskan Inside Passage cruise, leaving Vancouver on Friday 13 May 2005. Friday the 13th! :eek:

Can hardly wait. Our first cruise was on the "old" Westerdam; a ship we loved because it was a ship and not a floating gin palace. :D

We know nothing about the Statendam (except the dry statistics, of course). Has anyone cruised on her lately? Please, please tell me she preserves the HAL experience! And that the food is as good and a s plentiful as it was 3 or 4 years ago. (My wife has especially fond memories of the Alaskan salmon barbecue they did on deck one lunchtime ...)

I was disturbed to read about HAL's "new" liquor policy, which virtually dictates you must buy their alcohol at their prices, which, given the exchange rates, are quite outrageous. I'm not being miserable, but last time a small can of beer (330 mL Heineken) cost me $10 Australian! On that cruise it was great to buy a bottle of scotch or a couple of beers in port and keep them in our cabin. I believe wine is still OK in the cabin?? Does anyone know for sure?

I'm also reasonably sure we didn't pay for soft drinks (sodas) last trip, except in cans??

My wife and I are in our 50s, and exercise (mainly walking) is an integral part of our lives. Are there charges for using the onboard gym, esp. the treadmills etc.? If there are, can someone tell us how much they are, please? I can also pound the deck -- but I'd rather do it in comfort if possible. ;)

After the cruise, we are doing the Rocky Mountains Explorer on the Rocky Mountaineer -- squeezed the Visa card a little tighter and we're doing it Gold Maple Leaf.

It's a long way getting there (Perth to Sydney, Sydney to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Vancouver), but it'll be worth every second.

Regards

Bruce

You can bring wine aboard to enjoy in your cabin, no problem.

I don't remember carbonated soft drinks ever being no charge, but juices tea and coffee are.

There's also no charge to use the workout equipment in the gym.

Have a great cruise and a terrific vacation!

Thank you very much for your replies. I appreciate them. I will certainly have a look at RevNeal's photos -- I actually found one of his reviews on a different trip a few months ago -- and forgot to bookmark it. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Archived