Gift certificate for Royal on Celebrity

puggylicious

What kind of gift certificate? What is its source? Does it have any instructions printed on it? I, for one, would be very doubtful if you could use it, but would need more information about the gift certificate to investigate.

We bought it a few years ago from Royal for our daughter and son-in-law. It is printed on what looks like a 8 1/2 by 11 gift certificate. That is all I can remember about it. They are going on a Celebrity cruise and wondered if they can use it.

But what is the certificate for---on board credit or what? I would say to read the fine print, first to make sure it's still good, and second to see restrictions. But I highly doubt something purchased on RCI would transfer to Celebrity.

I think you used to be able to use such things for one line even if purchased on the other line, but policies may have changed. I have a Next Cruise credit of $200 plus OBC that I purchased in 2008 on an RCI sailing, and the certificate even as both companies' logos on it. In 2009 I was going to (and would have been permitted to use it) for a Celebrity sailing, but we ended up picking a different ship. This past week, when I tried to use it to book my Millennium cruise, they said I could no longer do that. They did give me a $50 OBC because of "the misunderstanding", but they were not budging on using the certificate and I took it up to a supervisor level. It's a short cruise and not that expensive, so I was not going to argue it anymore - but this may be indicative of no more "cross-use" of such things between the lines.

(But hey, my Diamond status still carries over to Elite status on Celebrity - let's hope that doesn't change.)

Archived