RCI's AI Beverage Package

MadCnty

Would you like to see AI offered on RCIs US sailings???  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see AI offered on RCIs US sailings???

• Yes I would use the AI option...
    • Might use it...
    • No AI for me...

On a line that attracts an older demographic, I would be in favor of it. But on Royal Caribbean, where there are so many young adults, I would vote no.

I'm not quite sure CC is sold on the idea of RC being geared towards kids and family!!!:p:D

Seriously though-Beaches resorts are geared towards kids or active adults. If you are 18-you can drink at any bar. I have never seen bad behavior from adults nor young adults.

I think-If Royal looked at an AI drink package that included ALL beverages, people would drink alot of non-alcoholic drinks also as it would be included. People may not feel the need to order an alcoholic drink to make the package worth it-hence-less actual drinking possibly. :confused:

Sorry, but I am I favor of no AI packages. I think that there are already too many people who overindulge on the ships now. To provide an AI package would certainly mean more people on board who were intoxicated.

I Agree 100% i would not buy it.One of the worst thing you could have on a ship, are a few drunks trying to drink their money's worth.:eek:

I'm not quite sure CC is sold on the idea of RC being geared towards kids and family!!!:p:D

Seriously though-Beaches resorts are geared towards kids or active adults. If you are 18-you can drink at any bar. I have never seen bad behavior from adults nor young adults.

I think-If Royal looked at an AI drink package that included ALL beverages, people would drink alot of non-alcoholic drinks also as it would be included. People may not feel the need to order an alcoholic drink to make the package worth it-hence-less actual drinking possibly. :confused:

We just went on a cruise that was all inclusive and we LOVED it. However, the average age was probably about 55. Personally, I wouldn't want to cruise on a family line that was AI. I just don't think the two mix well.

If they have non-alcoholic packages like Celebrity and not everyone needs to buy then yes. I travel with grandkids (underage) and I can not drink much so a non-alcoholic package like the prium non-alcoholic package on Celebirty would go good with us.

Sorry, but I am I favor of no AI packages. I think that there are already too many people who overindulge on the ships now. To provide an AI package would certainly mean more people on board who were intoxicated. If you have been to an AI resort, or saw some of the high rollers in Las Vegas/Reno, you would understand.

We have been on several X cruises since they instituted the alcohol packages.

Honestly we saw very few people who were intoxicated, maybe 1 or 2.

Perhaps RCI might be different.;)

I voted no.

We will have maybe one or two cocktails per day, but we always order a nice bottle of wine at dinner. Unless they included the nicer wines, not the $25-35 range but the $50-75 range, it would be useless for us to order a drink package. We pay far less than what the drink package would be for cocktails.

But I can see where, if you laid by the pool and ordered 3/4 drinks during the day, followed by pre-dinner cocktails and perhaps drinks in the dance club at night, it may be a $ saver. If I drank like that, I'd last one day and the rest of the trip would be in recovery ;) Gettin too old to do that any longer.

Interjecting myself into this discussion....

We've been on numerous cruises and have been to numerous AI resorts. It has been our experience on the AI resorts that 'some' people overimbibe, but the vast majority do not.

We would certainly use an AI plan. As mentioned before, it is nice to know ahead of time what your expenses will be – rather than the shock at the end (if you aren’t keeping up day to day). If you wanted a really fancy wine, either you could bring it aboard and pay the corkage, or pay an additional fee. There could potentially be an AI plan (similar to the beverage/coke card for the kids), but that could include the specialty coffees, etc.

My husband and I definitely would! Even though we probably wouldn't drink enough to make it worthwhile, it's easier for our budget, rather than guessing at how much we'll spend. Does everyone in the cabin need the same level of the package? He's more into premium liquors, whereas I'm fine with well drinks.

Here is a post that details cost etc... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1376565
The prices posted on the referenced thread were the initial pricing. They were increased shortly after launch.

The attached gives details of the latest price per day for the Beer, Classic and Premimum packages which are $39, $49 & $59 respectively and includes gratuity. These now include Soda so there is no need to purchase the soda package which equates to $6.90 per day.

This document is from the RCI UK website and was downloaded on Sept 4th.

The document refers to the Grandeur of the Seas, but is the same for Independence and Legend.

BevPackGR_tcm16-6407.pdf

That wouldn't be an option for me. I'd have to drink twice as much since my wife only has a drink or 2 now and then.
I could say the same thing. A drink package would be worthwhile for my husband, but not for me. I totally understand that the company must require that all adults must buy the package (thanks, dishonest people), but it's a bummer.

I checked "maybe" because I don't know whether I would or not. I looked at the Celebrity packages and, although I might buy one on X, there are plenty of items I can get for "free" on RCI with CL access - a cocktail or two in the evening, cappuccino 24/7. And, like Kathy, we like to purchase a nice bottle of wine with dinner, and don't want to be limited to what's on the package - we have the same issue with the wine packages currently being sold.

As for the prediction that there will be too many more drunks because people will want to get their money's worth, I doubt that it would happen on a large scale. The people who aim to be blind drunk on their vacations will do so whether they're buying a package that save them a few bucks or running up a huge bar tab.

Archived