Newbie Mariner Review (3/20-27)

First, let me say thanks to everyone on this board. With the information I compiled on here, we did our own excursions (just beaches) but they were all great spots. This was our first cruise (me, hubby, two daughters, 9 and 11). Here is a summary of the trip. Any questions, I'll be happy to try an answer them.

We flew down Saturday morning into Tampa to go to a baseball game at Legends Field. Then drove down to Port Canaveral and stayed at the Radisson. I was a little unsure about this hotel after reading many reviews. The hotel definitely could use a little updating. But the great thing was you could see the ship from the parking lot. :D We were only staying there one night, but in my opinion, not worth $159. But that's the price you pay for traveling during spring break.

Sunday a.m. we were on the 11:30 shuttle to the pier. Left the hotel around 11:50, on the boat by 12:30. Everything was handled smoothly. They are so organized.

We went up to the Windjammer and couldn't believe the amount of food. We ate (and ate and ate) and then headed toward our rooms.

We had a D1 balcony, 9th floor (level). We were very happy with this room. There is nothing like getting up in the morning and stepping out on the balcony. I will never cruise w/o a balcony.

Beaches:

Bahamas: We walked over to the hilton and had a great day. For $30, we sat on the beach and had access to their beach chairs, umbrella, tubes for the water and their pool. They didn't charge us for our girls. Said they would let us "slide" so we were happy about that. We had wanted to do the dolphin swim but it was sold out.

St. Thomas: We went to Coki Beach and had a great time. The beach is small and I was a little disappointed at first. But the snorkeling was great and the waves were small. Great beach for kids.

St. Martin: We went to Divi Little Bay. This beach is beautiful and the waves were a lot bigger. Had another great day at this beach.

We went to a few shows. Definitely don't miss the ice show (tickets were distributed on Tuesday). The ship itself is gorgeous and HUGE. People were constantly cleaning. Staff was very friendly. Food was unlimited. As far as Adventure Ocean goes, I gave my girls the option of signing themselves out of camp as long as they were always together. And to tell you the truth, they really didn't go to the camp. They met a friend on the first day and the three of them hung out all day, checking in with me or my husband every hour or so. They loved the soda card and the cafe promenade. They must've consumed a few pies during the week!

I remember reading a review the week before I went on the cruise and got goosebumbs. Believe me, everyone going on the Mariner will have a great time. I am totally jealous. :p And I'm getting ready to book the Mariner for next March, doing the Western route. If you have any questions, please ask away.

It sounds like you had a blast. I will be on the Mariner in June- it is my first Voyager class ship. I am so excited, I can hardly stand it.

I'm looking for some June 19th cruisers. Are you going that week?

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Mariner, and all the rest of you are going to be on the ship soon....my Mariner cruise isn't until next January...

sigh...seems soooooo faaaaaar awaaaaaaay...

we loved the balcony! i'm so jealous of everyone going on this ship! :p i am looking to book again for next year. i just can't stand seeing the negative number on my countdown clock!! :(

also, i didn't write in my review about the soda cards. my husband and i didn't get them, but my kids both did and boy, was it worth every cent. the cups of soda are not large and filled with ice. they were able to get soda with all their meals (except breakfast - and that was MY doing). the lemonade was fine for me all week (plus a pina colada or two) ;)

another thing...try the cold fruit soups in the dining room. i ordered one by accident on the first night and was pleasantly surprised. each night they offered a type of fruit soup. i know it sound strange but i really like them. i think the first night was pear soup.

also, as far as the speciality restaurants, we dined at portofinos. the food was great and well worth the extra $20. we literally rolled out of there. we barely finished our dessert and they brought over a plate with chocolate covered strawberries and some other cookies. i "forced" myself to have a strawberry. ;)

Glad you had a great cruise experience. Thanks for posting a review! Cant wait until I board at the end of the month!

Another Cincinnatian! I can't wait to hear about your ruise experience! We sail Father's Day and have our cruise party 4/23. I can't wait to hear your review. We live in Mason, and have 23 Ohioans, mostly Cincinnatians cruising on this Father's day cruise! I cannot wait!

I second the soup comment. We were pleasantly surprised with the soups. We hit the dining room every meal we can and actually liked lunch better than dinner! We also loved Portofinos and especially liked cafe Promanade. We plan on eating there when we board, rather than the Buffet. Not as much food wates/crowds. They have good pizza and wonderful ham & cheese croissants!

Karen

Archived