How does Elation compare to Holiday? And New Orleans port to Mobile port?

BlessedBeingMom

We will be going on our second cruise ever in late February of 2012. We first went in February 2007 and it was on the Holiday out of Mobile. This was our one & only experience with cruising and we loved it, so much that we are going to celebrate our 15th anniversary & bringing the kids this time. :D If you've been on both ships, how do these two ships, Elation versus Holiday, compare to each other? And do you know anything about what the port in New Orleans is like versus the port in Mobile? We only live an hour from New Orleans, so we plan to drive down there the same day. We are a couple of hours from Mobile.

Thanks for any advice you can share! :)

Well, I waited to see if others wanted to post on this one first. I have gone out of both ports, but cant think of anything important to say. I got there extra early to both ports and did VIP in them both. New Orleans seemed a little better with free OJ and cookies, but then again they didnt give me some VIP card and then the lady was like it was my fault for not knowing.

Good things and bad things to both, more partial to Galveston where I feel more comfortable since thats my main port I go out of.

I did Elation twice out of Mobile earlier this year, in Feb and May and posted some pictures somewhere. Its a pretty ship. Fantasy class has a atruim and Holiday didnt, so its a little bigger. I think you will probably like the atrium.

Here is my thread with Elation pictures .. and another poster added some pictures that are better than mine. You can compare for yourself.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1410345

I've sailed the Holiday twice and the Fantasy once (one of Elations sister ships). Just by virtue of the five story atrium, the Elation will "feel" much bigger and newer. It will also have more dining options.

I've also cruise out of both New Orleans and Mobile. I preferred Mobile as it was basically in a "dead zone". Nothing else going on there... No other traffic to fight. And coming back through customs was fast. Easy in and out. New Orleans was almost as smooth, but not quite, and navigating the French Quarter was a nightmare (admittedly, it was during Mardi Gras). Both were tons better than Miami.

The wife has been on 4 different Fantasy-class ships, and says all of them feel about the same, with the big difference being whether or not they've had the Evolutions of Fun upgrade (the Elation has some upgrades, but not all).

my first cruise and second were on the holiday i miss the holiday but the Elation is a great ship i think you will really like her the atrium is awsome really liked this ship and between mobile and New Orleans i love the NO port it is so much more organized happy sailings and enjoy your cruise

I fell in love with cruising on the Holiday, like you. I have since been on many of the Fun Ships. They all have their own personality in my opinion. Elation is beautiful ship. She is elagent and fun.

You will have a wonderful time on Elation. New Orleans is my favorite place to cruise from but also love Mobile. Cruised from both multiple times.

Note: I used to think Holiday was big, then I cruised her sister ships. I now love the Large ship for the offerings but Fantasy class seems like home. Easy to navigate and relaxed and casual feel to them.

The PORTS:

We leave out of Mobile for our 5th time tomorrow....we have sailed from New Orleans about 15 times.

Both have their pros and cons:

New Orleans has always been a breeze (we like to arrive at 10:30AM) Never any traffic issues (when with 3 universities graduating at the convention center this past May).

I like the way parking traffic does not have to deal with drop offs, taxis or buses....you peel into the parking garage before all that.

What I DO NOT like about New Orleans is the cost of the parking at the hotels the night before. It can be as high as $35 dollars. We usually stay "out" ...either in Slidell, La Place or Covington and drive in.

On the other hand, Mobile is fine as long as you get there early enough (or there isn't fog or any other hitch). We get VIP parking, so that is not an issue for us...but before we knew about VIP parking....2 of the 4 past cruises out of there were a traffic nightmare. (backing all the way up to the Interstate and then the police try to re-route you to an off site parking lot and you have to take buses to the terminal. ) The buses to the terminal is ok IF you don't have a child with Autism and he is not expecting this. And IF it is raining..there is no cover to wait for the bus. Fortunately, the glitches don't happen often....so no worries.

The design of the terminal has car traffic and people traffic intermingling ...we jokingly call it "dodge the passenger". People who are going picked up or dropped off and people going to the buses have to cross the incoming car lanes of people dropping their luggage......very poor design.

However, I DO like the way the luggage bins are right there by the cars...so you see your luggage go right into a bin and not just taken off by some porter. Very efficient.

The SHIPS:

The Elation is larger than the Holiday was. Much nicer in every way. IF you liked the Holiday, you will love the Elation. I think it is the prettiest of the Fantasy class ships. Now it does not have the FULL EOV like the most of the other Fantasy class ships....but that obviously has not detered us since we board her tomorrw.

After these photos, I definitely think the Elation is prettier than the Paradise..LOL loved the old ship theme and those eggs on Paradise LOL..but the real stained glass and the bronze look in atrium..I like the Elation better...it is a bit classier..have fun , you just can't beat the fun and OK..consistently ok food factor for a mainstream line..the comments keep repeating themselves..comfy beds, good food, friendly service, lots of activities and just happy and fun people..sarah

I like New Orleans and Mobile ports equally.

Elation is kind of like an upgraded Holiday.

One main good difference is that on Holiday they had to have the burger area in the buffet area.

It made it kind of crowded and hot right there.

Elation out of Mobile still had that same laid back southern vibe as on Holiday.

I hope the vibe stays when they move to New Orleans...

I cannot comment on the ports as I have not cruised out of either.

The ships are quite a bit different. The Elation is almost twice the size of the Holiday, so it is a lot bigger. By current standards, Holiday was a tiny cruise ship.

Doc

Archived