Not sure if this was normal?

imfunny

We just got back from our cruise on the Triumph. Had a wonderful trip but really bad cleaning service. Since this was our first trip I was unsure of what to expect I have heard wonderful stories about the stewards and staff. We left on our auto tip pay so that shouldn't be an issue. But the only thing that was clean in our room was the beds. When we walked in nothing had been dusted but the floors and bathroom were clean so I just shrugged it off because I was on vacation. Then my mother inlaw same steward asked if our room was as dirty as hers. I said well maybe they will get to it the next time they clean. Well the next few days I noticed that if my kids left a milk carton empty that morning on the table it would still be there that night and any glasses that we would use would never be replaced so we had to set them outside the door. After about 3 days I noticed the rooms were not being vacuumed so I started leaving a few pieces of trash here and there and that was still there the day we left. Along with the bathroom sink not once wiped down. My mother-inlaw and I really wanted to report this but being our first cruise our husbands were worried that we were stuck on this boat and we would get horrible treatment from the rest of the staff. Has anything like this happen to you? What does most cleaning staff actually clean- just so I now if this is normal or not. Also we stayed on the 7th floor and the trash and food trays lined the halls for 3 hours at a time. Please don't hate me I just would like to know what is normal for Carnival.

That doesn't sound normal to me. I see cabin stewards vacuuming the floor, and trash doesn't get left behind. No one is going to want to save an open carton of milk getting warm for later.

Our bathroom was thoroughly cleaned each day, I didn't notice if surfaces were dusted - but if it starts out clean it won't look like it is in need of dusting daily.

Things in my cabin have been house cleaned, to the point that if I brought back a cookie to the room or other snack during the day, I had to hide it in the fridge or it would be tossed out when they do the nightly turn down. More than once my plan for a midnight snack was foiled!

I am so glad to hear this isn't normal. I didn't want it to make me think that carnival was dirty when I have heard such great things about them. My brother's family goes on 2 a year and says what great care they take of them. He said most of the time if they have a piece of clothing leaving out they will put it on a hanger for them. He also said that they have a basket/ bowl in the bathroom that they leave samples in. We never had any of that so I am looking forward to our next cruise! :)

i also just returned form the triumph on the 9/17 we were on deck 7 foward and are room was always clean MR P kept are roomspot less i would have either told Guest Services or talked to the steward as this was my 4th cruise and have only had one problem with my room steward and that was about not taking out the trash other than that they are great normally i hope you get a better one on your next cruise

WOW, we have never encountered a problem like that. Everything you mentioned should be done daily, especially dirty cups. We noticed that if we came back to the room and used a wash cloth mid day, when we would return a clean one would be there. I have commented several times that there must be an alarm that is triggered when the door opens so the room steward knows to go check out the room. I would have said something to the room steward and if nothing was done I would have complained to the Hotel Director. Sorry this happened to you.

Once on NCL, on the second day we had to ask the room steward to clean the balcony. There were coffee cups left from the day before. Never had to ask again though.

Not normal and really too bad that was your first cruising experience! Next time don't hesitate to speak up! It is no different then being in a hotel with bad cleaning service. And remember, Carnival can't be held responsible if they don't know there is a problem; I am as quick to praise good service as to report bad. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise in spite of that.

Our cabin stewards have always been great! However, I have noticed that if I leave a glass out with any type of liquid in it, most usually, it will still be sitting there when I return to the cabin. I don't know if the cabin stewards have been told not to touch these for fear that the cruiser may still want to finish that drink? Who knows.. I usually just leave a post-it note asking them to take the dirty glasses and replace them with clean ones. (Side note.. post-it notes are a fantastic way to leave messages for the cabin stewards and/or family members. Just place them on the outside of your cabin door!)

When I was on the liberty last week, I told my Steward she didn't have to clean my room every day, just leave the towel animal and the next day Fun Times. I don't need to have my bed made, ext.

She said "But it's my job!" So I compromised and told her every other day. That way she could have a little down time, not doing my room.

But I did notice that they always vacuumed the rooms each day.

Melanie

When I got to our cabin on the Ecstasy last April, I went in to check out the bathroom. The toilet didn't look clean and there was a clump of hair in the shower drain. :eek:

I didn't say anything...and sure enough, while we were out of our cabin that evening, the steward cleaned the bathroom. I figured he must have just been rushed during the turnaround at port. He did a great job the rest of the week! ;)

But no, OP. What you experienced is not normal.

I think that the stewards really do not want to mess with people's stuff that is on the desk or tabletops.

I don't expect others to pick up my trash or cups.

I gather all that stuff up and put it where it should be.

EXACTLY- if the stuff looks personal they will not touch it- (they could lose their job for one complaint)

When I was on the liberty last week, I told my Steward she didn't have to clean my room every day, just leave the towel animal and the next day Fun Times. I don't need to have my bed made, ext.

She said "But it's my job!" So I compromised and told her every other day. That way she could have a little down time, not doing my room.

But I did notice that they always vacuumed the rooms each day.

Melanie

I thought that would be a nice gesture as well, but my steward told me that their boss spot checks the rooms and if they haven't done a satisfactory job they get reprimanded. Even though the guest has said it's okay to clean every other day. There job is to clean everyday, twice a day no exceptions.

We just got back from our cruise on the Triumph. Had a wonderful trip but really bad cleaning service. Since this was our first trip I was unsure of what to expect I have heard wonderful stories about the stewards and staff. We left on our auto tip pay so that shouldn't be an issue. But the only thing that was clean in our room was the beds. When we walked in nothing had been dusted but the floors and bathroom were clean so I just shrugged it off because I was on vacation. Then my mother inlaw same steward asked if our room was as dirty as hers. I said well maybe they will get to it the next time they clean. Well the next few days I noticed that if my kids left a milk carton empty that morning on the table it would still be there that night and any glasses that we would use would never be replaced so we had to set them outside the door. After about 3 days I noticed the rooms were not being vacuumed so I started leaving a few pieces of trash here and there and that was still there the day we left. Along with the bathroom sink not once wiped down. My mother-inlaw and I really wanted to report this but being our first cruise our husbands were worried that we were stuck on this boat and we would get horrible treatment from the rest of the staff. Has anything like this happen to you? What does most cleaning staff actually clean- just so I now if this is normal or not. Also we stayed on the 7th floor and the trash and food trays lined the halls for 3 hours at a time. Please don't hate me I just would like to know what is normal for Carnival.

i would have registered a complaint, and then decreased my tips for this individual.

you rewarded him for inferior service, whish is wrong.

You are right and believe me that would not happen again. It is hard being a first time cruiser.... you are just wanting everything to go perfect and you (I) just wanted to go with the flow and not complain..... I was trying to have a 100 % no stress no worries week. I really just wanted to know for next time what I should expected cleaned. :)

That was not normal at all and I've never had a problem like that. For the most part, we laugh about how every time we leave the room the steward comes and straightens up the room.

Don't settle for that. Next time make sure it is spruced up at least daily if not more often and if you get a chance to complete a survey, let them know what you experienced. Failing that, write to the cruise line. You are a new cruiser and they want your repeat business.

Archived