MSC Orchestra quick review

mezza

Like a few other reviewers this week, we did not gel with MSC''s style of cruising. Having been offered one of those 'cant refuse' packages, we embarked Copenhagen for a 3 b2b cruises of the Norwegian Fjords, baltics and W mediteranean. With CC reviews read and digested, we embarked with an open mind - "lets just enjoy the ports and overlook the few probs that past and present passengers had mentioned". For the first 7 days this was easy. The Fjords are just so stunning and relaxing that it is hard to be critical. However, when the menu and entertainment repeated itself in the next 7 days, we began to be a little critical. However, it was in the thrird sector that the announcements in 5 languages, the dull and at times inedible food in both the buffet and dining room, not to mention the water at 2 euro we had to buy at dinner each evening and the generally very average service, finaly got to us and we heard ourselves saying "not again MSC".

With a beautiful ship, good excursions and some really nice staff, like the cabin steward and hospitalty desk staff, it is shame that the cruise line let itself down with a poor standard of food and service. We saw some passengers smoking where they ought not, reserving 8 seats in the theatre each nice for 7 days and almost coming to blows with other passengers when the admin was ridiculously disorganised. We could not believe that staff took a blind eye with each incident.

It is always the negative incidences that we remember (and I have only skimmed the surface) but we tried to be tolerant -even with the cultural differences of other passengers - and overall, we enjoyed our 25 day cruise but we will not support MSC in the future when other cruise lines offer so much more

Like you we are trying our first MSC cruise in January and like you it was a price that was dificult to pass by, I hope we have a better experience than you did, we are on a different ship namely Splendida but I must say that given the reviews on here particularly, and I hope you don't see this as criticism or a personal attack, I'm very surprised that you'd try this cruise provider for the first time with a 25 day cruise, ours is just 7 days long enough if we don't like it but also long enough to form a valid opinion of whether or not it meets our aspirations.

I believe this was 7 night cruises and as you did 3 of them that explained the repetition in menus and entertainment. Regarding the announcement, MSC is a multilingual line and therefore the announcement are made in 5 languages, that is a service in my opinion. But of course, when you are onboard for three weeks they can be tiring but that's the way it is. At least you have seen the beautiful fjords of my country, Norway:)

Invincible cruiser - the package was a promotion of MSC in australia - we thought we would be 1 of about 10 or 12 and it turned out to be a gp of 150. For 3 cruises, airfare and overnight accom, the price was very good. based on what i know now, I would agree that 25 days is too long on such a cruise line but we go to the n hemisphere every year and we usually cruise for 14 days min. Our longest time on board has been 28 days on HAL and I didnt want to get off - the difference in service and food was enormous. You always get what you pay for!!

Norwegian Cruiser - I loved everything I saw in Norway - the scenery the people and the brown cheese, yum yum. Yes, i agree that the 5 languages is a sevice and their ability to go between all 5 continuously was amazing but sometimes it is just not necessary to say "good evening"..... for 10 minutes at a time!

Archived