Istanbul to Athens: In which ports are shorts OK?

artbcpa

We are trying to determine exactly how to pack for our trip. We are taking the Istanbul to Athens cruise on the Wind Surf in two weeks. I was wondering in which ports is it proper to wear shorts:

Istanbul

Kusadasi

Rhodes

Bodrum

Santorini

Mykonos

Athens

Also are there places and/or times where shorts are not permitted on the ship?

No shorts, jeans or T-shirts in the restaurant, and you won't see many shorts in the lounge in the evening, as people change before dinner. During the day, shorts are o.k. any place on the ship.

I don't know what the weather will be for you, but if it's warm, you will see shorts in all those cities.

I personally would not wear shorts in Istanbul as the culture does not approve of shorts on women. I wear longer skirts and tops that are not too bare or lightweight slacks.

In the resort islands of Greece, it is a different story. Pretty much anything goes, especially in the middle of summer. But if you are going in fall, check the temps first.

We are taking the Istanbul to Athens cruise on the Wind Surf in two weeks. I was wondering in which ports is it proper to wear shorts:

What you intend to see is probably more important than the actual ports: if you plan to visit churches or mosques or other places of worship then no shorts, if not then shorts will be ok in those locations. You may find you get more attention than you wish in Istanbul in shorts but that's a different issue.

Anyone sticking to the rule of church visit means having knees and shoulders covered should usually be ok.

Happy traveling :)

Mands

Archived