Cruise tourism in Haiti? Moving inland from Labadee

jsmeeker

My TiVo picked up a new episode of the PBS documentary series earlier this week. I just got around to watching and I am glad I did because there was a very interesting story about tourism in Haiti and how it's connected to Labadee and Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.

The story revolves around one man's quest to bring tourists inland to visit a remarkable 200 year old fortress perched on a mountain top. It was built after the natives overthrew the French in 1803 to keep them from coming back to re-enslave them.

The piece features a RCI ship (pretty sure it was Freedom of the Seas. It wasn't an Oasis class they showed), including scenes filmed inside the ship and the private resort area itself. There are also some interviews with some passengers.

The issues is that they need a new, much improved road. RCI is behind it. But it takes money to build a road. And Haiti obviously has SERIOUS issues and many, many, many priorities that need to be dealt with. Still, the idea itself is compelling.

Did anyone else see the piece? If you didn't, you can watch it on-line via the Frontline website. I really encourage everyone going to Labadee or might go or has been to watch it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/optimist-in-haiti/

many years ago the port of Cap Haitien was a cruise destination and the Citadel was one of the top excursions to take when a ship visited there. Wiki has decent information on Citadelle Laferriere just south of Cap-Haitien

While on a visit to Cap-H in the early 80's I visited today's Labadee site as well. The property was actually purchased by RCL prior to this time and development had begun. But alas, the political troubles of Haiti at this time plus the AIDS issue which was at the time being rumored to be strong and possibly anchored in Haiti caused RCL to walk away from the development for many years. When I motored just off shore in a boat with the master of the cruise ship I was sailing on, we saw partially constructed buildings just waiting for better times . . I suspect they kept the property since there wasn't exactly a long line of buyers bidding for it.

Not too very long b4 this time I was still making liberty stops in Cap-H and Port Au Prince. The big places to go in PAP were the Barbancourt Rum distillery in the mountains above PAP and the VooDoo show . . . .

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this interesting video. I hope one day to visit the citadel. You should consider posting this to the Royal Caribbean page, if you have not already done so.

I was thinking of doing it to get more attention. But I am sure it will get moved over here rather quickly, as stuff related to ports of call really do belong here.

What happened to the millions? Well, it was a lot more than that that was pledged. First, they haven't gotten all of it. Second, there are many, many serious needs. If you haven't, watch the piece. This issue is addressed.

many years ago the port of Cap Haitien was a cruise destination and the Citadel was one of the top excursions to take when a ship visited there. Wiki has decent information on Citadelle Laferriere just south of Cap-Haitien

While on a visit to Cap-H in the early 80's I visited today's Labadee site as well. The property was actually purchased by RCL prior to this time and development had begun. But alas, the political troubles of Haiti at this time plus the AIDS issue which was at the time being rumored to be strong and possibly anchored in Haiti caused RCL to walk away from the development for many years. When I motored just off shore in a boat with the master of the cruise ship I was sailing on, we saw partially constructed buildings just waiting for better times . . I suspect they kept the property since there wasn't exactly a long line of buyers bidding for it.

Not too very long b4 this time I was still making liberty stops in Cap-H and Port Au Prince. The big places to go in PAP were the Barbancourt Rum distillery in the mountains above PAP and the VooDoo show . . . .

Nice. Thanks for sharing your experiences with Haiti and the Citadel. Hopefully, things can turn around and stay that way in Haiti. They really do have a interesting history. Something I am sure a lot of people would like to see more of in person.

What other lines call on that "port"? Is it JUST Royal Caribbean ships, or do some of their sister ships (Celebrity?) call on it too?

Thanks for including the actual title of the documentary. I should have done that.

What other lines call on that "port"? Is it JUST Royal Caribbean ships, or do some of their sister ships (Celebrity?) call on it too?

Thanks for including the actual title of the documentary. I should have done that.

Yes, Celebrity does go there. In fact the cruises that go to Labadee have some VERY nice itineraries! (Expensive, though.)

What happened to the millions of dollars that was given to Haiti after the earthquake? The people are still living under tarps. They could have built everyone a house and put in a new road.

If you watched the program carefully you have your answer. Millions were "pledged" to Haiti after the earthquake but little of it has actually been given. It is difficult to do what you suggest without the cash behind those pledges. It might be a worthwhile news project to see just how well the countries that pledged all that money have actually delivered.

jsmeeker - Thanks for posting the link. The program was very interesting and thought-provoking.

jsmeeker - Thanks for posting the link. The program was very interesting and thought-provoking.

You're welcome. It was a great piece and I am glad I happened to see it. I think I wouldn't have cared as much if I had not been active in the RCI boards lately.

Thank you for posting the link to the documentary. I will visit Labadee for the first time later this year. I surely wish that an excursion to the Citadel were possible. I love the excursions that deal with the history of the different countries I am fortunate enough to visit, and this place seems phenonemal. I hope that one day the dreams of the gentleman come true.

Archived