Can I really go wrong here?

bingomamma19

I have been checking Hotwire for awhile for a hotel for us pre cruise-Jan 6th - jan 8th 2012- I keep getting $104 for a 4 star Hollywood beach area hotel? I am driving myself nuts trying to figure out which one it is, and am gonna make my head explode:):)

Does it really matter? It has to be good with a 4 star Right????

Have you checked Lastminutetravel? Are you looking for Ft Lauderdale? Might be able to figure out which one by crosschecking. I see $90 for a 4 star hotel that you can eventually figure out as The Westin, and $102 for 4star Marriott Ft Lauderdale North.

The Diplomat (both locations) and Crowne Plaza are the only 2 (3?) 4* hotels on Hotwire for Hollywood Beach, unless they have changed things recently. Basically, if the amenities list a spa, it's the Diplomat. If not, it could be the Diplomat but most likely the Crowne Plaza. I don't believe there is anything on Hotwire to lead you one way or the other as to whether you might get the golf course or beach resort for the Diplomat. But I've also read people have said they got the golf course, and were able to call and get the beach location instead, sometimes for a fee, sometimes not.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in January, and found it to be a very nice hotel. For sure, not the "wow" factor that the Diplomat beach resort has but still quite nice. They are on the waterway, not the beach, but the owners of the hotel also own the condo on the beach across the road, and offer beach access there.

We did Hotwire last year for a 4* in Coconut Grove; it was the Mayfair and for $99 it was great. You can't go wrong, really, with a 4*. We just booked on LMT 3* in Dania Beach and I knew which hotel it was because of the bedspreads in the hotel photos. A little sleuthing will put all the pieces of the puzzle together. Btw, never knew Hollywood and Dania Beach were right next door to Ft. Lauderdale. Really like that area, especially the LaQuinta on 26th in Hollywood.

Just know that if you choose the Hollywood hotel you will be further from the airport and pier. THere's limited water taxi service to Hollywood.

If you haven't been to Ft L, I'd personally stay there. Fun area to hang out in.

That being said, We are staying in Hollywood post cruise for 3 nights, but we have been in Ft. L a few times now and will just use the post stay for R&R at the resort and not do much more than roam the broadwalk area.

Actually we are there for 2 nights-coming in Friday afternoon and cruise leaves Sunday afternoon. It may be short, but I really want to have a nice place to stay on the ocean so my kids (22, 20, 5) can exprience it. We are from Wisconsin, so the ocean is exciting for us:):)

I am hoping to do the water taxi also, so have to look into the proximity of that too.

Thanks for all the help here, I really appreciate the advice.

I'm leaning toward it being the Westin and not the Crowne Plaza because it is showing recommended by 95% of Hotwire users (Crowne tends to come up as 85%) and it is letting you choose your bed type. This is strictly my guess.

Good Luck!!!! Let us know what you decide to do! And if you do hit the button, which hotel you got. :)

This is showing on the betterbidding 'win' calendar for Jan 6:

January 6

$110 per/night

Recommended in 95% of Hotwire customer reviews

Resort

Near Beach

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Spa

Actually we are there for 2 nights-coming in Friday afternoon and cruise leaves Sunday afternoon. It may be short, but I really want to have a nice place to stay on the ocean so my kids (22, 20, 5) can exprience it. We are from Wisconsin, so the ocean is exciting for us:):)

I am hoping to do the water taxi also, so have to look into the proximity of that too.

You might want to look at Bahia Mar in Ft L. One ogf the more moderate priced hotels....altho if you are traveling in WInter...nothing is moderate comparing to Wisconsin! :D I'm from Waukesha. But this hotel is across the streeet from the beach and a block from a major water taxi stop. Other hotels along the beach in Ftl can be much more $ With the age of your kids, I'd stick to Ft.L. More exciting.

January 6

$110 per/night

Resort

Near Beach

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Golf Nearby

Spa

This is the Westin Diplomat, as the Crowne Plaza doesn't advertise Spa in it's amenities. Sometimes on Hotwire, you have to click "see all" on the amenities if there are more than 8.

The water taxi would be a fun way to kill time, but it's slow and expensive for a family. It's $20 per day per adult and $12 per day per youth (5-11). It also takes an hour each way from the Diplomat to the Hilton Marina in Port Everglades, where you can connect to the other water taxis in Ft Lauderdale. It is convenient to the hotel as it stops right at the Diplomat (across the covered bridge on the waterway side).

January 6

$110 per/night

Resort

Near Beach

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Golf Nearby

Spa

This is the Westin Diplomat, as the Crowne Plaza doesn't advertise Spa in it's amenities. Sometimes on Hotwire, you have to click "see all" on the amenities if there are more than 8.

oops :o yes, this was confirmed as the Westin Diplomat Beach location on the Better Bidding Win Calendar. (forgot to put that in my original post):o:o.

DanJ - Hotwire has been strange lately, when you click on 'see all' it actually sometimes shows LESS icons!!! :confused:

Have you checked Lastminutetravel? Are you looking for Ft Lauderdale? Might be able to figure out which one by crosschecking. I see $90 for a 4 star hotel that you can eventually figure out as The Westin, and $102 for 4star Marriott Ft Lauderdale North.

Be careful because on lastminutetravel the 4 star is probably the Crowne Plaza. When I look at it on my ipad it shows which hotel is it plus by plugging in the number of the resort up top it also comes back as the Crowne Plaza.

Ok, you pushed me over the edge!!! :D I hit the button on the date I've been watching. I was 99.9% sure it was the Westin Diplomat due to the 95% user recommendation and it was!!! I called to confirm it is the beach location.........and it is!!! :D :D

Ok, you pushed me over the edge!!! :D I hit the button on the date I've been watching. I was 99.9% sure it was the Westin Diplomat due to the 95% user recommendation and it was!!! I called to confirm it is the beach location.........and it is!!! :D :D

Great job!

Thanks for sharing

• 2 weeks later...

$104 for a 4 star Hollywood beach area hotel can be either the Westin Diplomat Beach or Diplomat Country Club.

I booked last years 2 nights pre-cruise. I got Westin Diplomat Beach then booked 2 more nights for post cruise, Same description but I got Diplomat Country Club. Both hotels offer free shutle between the country club and beach.

prepare to pay extra $25 a day for parking.

Archived