Rum Point

lovintravelin

thanks for the heads up! :D

In a place were rum is duty free, $14 for a drink is ridiculous! it reminds me of spain, where I got charged more for a glass of orange juice than I did for breakfast, I remember thinking dont oranges grow here? lol I think I got ripped off :rolleyes:

I was planning on doing the jetski excursion to stingray city and rum point , its around 2 hrs long so I would spend the rest of the day at seven mile beach

I think I may eat lunch on the ship and then go back out to the beach, thanks for your advice

thanks for the heads up! :D

In a place were rum is duty free, $14 for a drink is ridiculous!

Rum (and other alcohol, including beer) is only duty-free if you are taking it off of the island. :( Prices for on-island consumption are much higher...much, much higher...even for locals.

Rum (and other alcohol, including beer) is only duty-free if you are taking it off of the island. :( Prices for on-island consumption are much higher...much, much higher...even for locals.

This is why many locals purchase duty free liquor when they travel abroad and bring it back to Cayman. The duty on imported alcohol is over 40%!:eek:

For all of those who complain about the cost of drinks (which you have every right to do), just remember "location, location, location" as you down your $14 cocktail. Hey, that drink would cost you the same, if not more in NYC or South Beach...and the view at either may not be quite as stunning.

Just got back and thought I would update a little. The most gorgeous beach around but... drink prices are very high. Two mudslides cost $28 US. Just thought you might want to know. :eek:

To those of you who went to Rum point, is this something you can do on your own?

Can you go by Taxi? If so, how much was it to get there? Are there chairs or umbrellas to rent?

To those of you who went to Rum point, is this something you can do on your own?

Can you go by Taxi? If so, how much was it to get there? Are there chairs or umbrellas to rent?

You can get there by taxi but it's about 45 minutes...and around $80 US...each way. And you'd have to prearrange the return trip (and keep fingers crossed that they weren't late) as there will be no taxis in the area to take you back to the port.

The only practical ways to visit Rum Point are by rental car or as part of an excursion.

All of the facilities are free there. The only cost is for food/drinks. You cannot bring outside food/drinks into the facility.

It's very different from Seven Mile Beach.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1420315

Is it still a fun place to visit for snorkeling, swimming, and lounging if you are not purchasing food and drink?

Yes, but it's a long way to go if you're not spending the whole day there, or at least a substantial portion of it...and you may get very thirsty and hungry before you make it back to the ship... :D

Read the thread I link to in my previous post (#10) for more information about exactly what Rum Point is like in comparison to the closer Seven Mile Beach, then pick the one that best suits your needs.

Yes, but it's a long way to go if you're not spending the whole day there, or at least a substantial portion of it...and you may get very thirsty and hungry before you make it back to the ship... :D

Read the thread I link to in my previous post (#10) for more information about exactly what Rum Point is like in comparison to the closer Seven Mile Beach, then pick the one that best suits your needs.

I'm deciding between tours that go to Stingrays/Rum Point vs. Stingrays/Coral Garden. So I wouldn't there longer than an hour or two.

Archived