Discover Credit Card in OZ and NZ??

Most people in Australia will never have heard of the Discover Card. The main cards here are Visa & MasterCard, with American Express making a big push into the market at the moment by offering twice as many frequent flyer points per $ than the other two.

My understanding is that Discover Card is the same as Diners Club in Australia. Assuming that this is correct, you'll find that there are a lot of places that don't accept it, due to the high fees that they charge the vendors. Visa & MasterCard are accepted almost universally, Diners Club probably has about 40-50% coverage.

If I'm wrong - and it's not linked to Diners Club - then your chances of having it accepted in Australia would be very slim indeed.

As far as I know, they haven't signed up any merchants in Australia or NZ, so you wouldn't be able to use it here. Perhaps they intend to change that soon in line with the above announcement, but it may be geared towards other regions.

Archived