2.0 changes - your view?

davy jones

Hi All - I got around to looking at the "2.0 changes" and want to start a thread where you can give your opinion without the bickering. Everyone please chime in with your thoughts about the changes.

I'll go first. Cruise lines need to make occasional changes to keep existig customers coming back and attract new customers, either new cruisers of from the competition. If you don't keep it fresh for your loyal base, they may move on. It costs much less to keep a customer than to get a new one.

George Lopez -(neutral to good) I am curious about this one. On the surface, it looks more like using a name mainstream comedian to lend his name to the club. There is a comment about "hourly" performances on sea days that catches my interest.

Guy's burgers -(neutral to good) This appears to be about presentation than substance. The decor is being upgraded. The rest depends on the new toppings offered. I am already happy with the current offerings, but I have simpler tastes. If the toppings get too fancy or exotic, I can always skip them.

Hasboro Game show - (neutral to good) I am curious. It could make for interesting entertainment. How good it is will depend on the host of the show. At worst, it's another opportunity to vie for a ship on a stick. I'll check it out once to see.

EA bar, Red Frog Bar, Alchemy Blue Iguana Bar - (neutral to good) - Sounds like upgrades or decor changes to existing bars on the ship. The pool bars are kind of drab.

Blue Iguana Cantina - (good) more dining options at no extra cost. Some may call this a food downgrade. As long as the MDR food stays the same, this can't be a negative. Yes, I know that Mexican food is less expensive, but I like it.

DJ Irie - (neutral) Frankly, I never heard of him. I'm not much of a disco kind of guy (using the word disco probably dates me). For the most part, it really doesn't affect me. If you like it, then dance away.

Libarary Bar - (mixed) - I like the idea of a wine bar, the location, not so much A wine bar is a good idea. There are nice wine bars on Princess ships. I am not sure about the location though. You're taking away a quiet space that a number of people like, particularly if the weather isn't great on sea days. On some ships, it is already the internet room, why add more noise. A little cove off of the atrium would be a good spot though.

New production shows (good) - Frequent cruisers may have seen the shows a few times, so periodic changes are necessary.

OF COURSE - the implementation is the thing. If it is hype to mask cuts in shows or food quality, than booooooooooo. Otherwise, my math shows mostly goods, with one possible not so much. It may provide more options, which is good. Whether I use them is my choice.

Who's next?

Ok, no bashing. You asked for our opinions, so here they are.

George Lopez - Not so excited about George Lopez. His own show was cancelled because he's not so funny; putting him in charge of comedians is questionable at best. Remains to be seen.

Guy's Burgers - Ok, this I'm intrigued about. I don't cruise for the burgers, and while there's always plenty of food available, it might be a nice change to have "gourmet" burgers, depending on what kind of flavors and toppings we're talking about.

Hasbro game shows - not thrilled with the idea. To me it sounds like it's another way to cut back on production shows, which I understand are expensive. It would have to be well done, like a game show on TV, to really catch a wide audience. Again, remains to be seen.

Bars, bars, bars - aren't there already bars on ships? Plenty of alcohol that flows freely? Or is this a ploy to entice you smugglers to stop smuggling (you know who you are).

Blue Iguana Cantina - if it turns out to be more than just a Taco Bell at sea, this might be a fun food choice.

DJ Irie - another way to get rid of live entertainment. I can listen to my own MP3 player if I wanted to listen to canned music. This one makes me sad.

Library wine dispenser - really Carnival? Wine in the library? What rocket scientist thought this one up?? :rolleyes: Stupid, stupid, stupid. I never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life. What next, liquor dispensers in the bathrooms?

New production shows - but with shorter lengths. That one didn't get by some of us. That's how they're going to find room for those Hasbro shows.

I like Carnival, I hope I'll still feel the same after all the changes are in effect. Fingers crossed.

I think I'm the only person here who thinks Lopez is funny :p

anyway....I won't form an opinon on the changes until I actually see them for myself.

When is this all supposed to be implemented anyway and will they do it on all ships or just certain ones :confused:

as i just wrote on another post, carnival will now serve burgers, serve alcohol, tell jokes, and play games. probably for a higher fare (if the cahill article is right, yes).

i'm pretty sure that's what they did before.

it's the "experience" i will have to "experience" before i make judgment.

Hi All - I got around to looking at the "2.0 changes" and want to start a thread where you can give your opinion without the bickering. Everyone please chime in with your thoughts about the change.

Lopez - negative

Never thought Lopez was funny. His jokes are racist and too political. If I am on vacation, I would prefer something that is really funny, not something that reminds me of stress and bickering back at home. Get enough of that on the news.

Guy's burgers - neutral to good

I don't eat anywhere other than the MDR, just my preference. I may try a burger, if there is no cost.

Hasbro game show - good

I have been on cruises that had game shows on the theatre stage and enjoyed them. Was in a "name that tune" game and won that ship on a stick prize (have 9.... most from winning trivia games....same questions on every cruise - don't need anymore). Hope the prizes are bigger.

bars - neutral

Don't drink so really don't care about these.

I think it will go a long way towards promoting Carnival as " the party ship".

Blue Iguana Cantina - neutral to good

Just hope the food is better than that offered on the Mexican theme nights. I don't eat there, but my kids, who love Mexican, did and it ended in the trash can.

DJ Irie - neutral

Never heard of him either, but after reading about him, hope he has a variety of music for all ages.

Library Bar - negative

Don't drink and don't like the idea of another bar, especially at the expense of a library.

New production shows - good

Tired of the red couch. Want to sale it at a yard sale.

Don't want any of these if rates have to be raised. Times are hard. Jobs are scarce and families need to get away at affordable fares.

Now, let the bashing begin............

George Lopez - Great...I like George Lopez

Guy's burgers - Great...and the onion rings sound great also

Hasboro Game show - Good...will have to wait and see on this one.

EA bar, Red Frog Bar, Alchemy Blue Iguana Bar - Great...I love the bar ideas. Draft beer, pitchers of margarita's, etc. The bars do need updating as stated earlier.

Blue Iguana Cantina - Great...love mexican food...but hope it is good.

DJ Irie - Neutral...no vote on it ... I am not even sure who he is and kind of skipped over this part.

Libarary Bar - Good...I like the idea.

New production shows - Great...looking forward to new shows!

Overall I love the changes and think that change is good.

Do not care one way or the other, as we consider the ship to be simply transportation from one port to the next. A ship with 2.0 upgrades will not sway me one way or the other given identical ports. It's all about the price.

However, since the OP asked:

Lopez - Meh, there's a reason TBS cancelled him.

Fieri - Again, meh. The current burgers serve the purpose. Why fix what's not broken?

Game show - Not interested.

Bars - It's the same alcohol.

Blue Iguana - This has potential.

DJ Irie - "Irie"? Seriously? Who says that? Hey Carnival, Jamaica called and they want their 70's slang back.

Boxed wine dispenser in the library - You're kidding, right?

New production shows - In all the years, I've never seen a duplicate or rerun show, so I don't care.

If Cahill was quoted correctly and is foreshadowing price hikes, you can take all of these and flush them.

The library choice sounds odd on the surface. But it's a place that's underutilized anyway - and my guess is to have it in a quasi-wine tasting atmosphere. I'm guessing that it's the dispenser part that probably most annoys the tasting purists... I don't think it's the reading purists - because I'm not seeing you in there ~ :D

No bickering??? This is the internet! :)

I already posted my opinions on a previous thread, but here goes:

Hi All - I got around to looking at the "2.0 changes" and want to start a thread where you can give your opinion without the bickering. Everyone please chime in with your thoughts about the changes.

George Lopez - neutral. Would go see his show on a ship but wouldn't book just because he is there.

Guy's burgers - Eh. Carnival has some good food but the burger's - yuck. Why should we expect differently from this? I'm not a fan of Johnny Rocket's on RCL either. If they can do a decent hamburger they should do it! This is not rocket science!

Hasboro Game show - Love it! A reason we might book carnival! This would be a way for the entire family to spend time together.

EA bar, Red Frog Bar, Alchemy Blue Iguana Bar - Neutral. What, like you can't already find a drink on a carnival ship? Those waiters with the DOD's would try to sell you one even if you were deaf and blind. (no offense to the deaf, blind or disabled. Just saying Carnival is very aggressive about making alcohol available all the time.)

Blue Iguana Cantina - Remains to be seen. I haven't had good mexican food on any mass market cruise ship. I would rather have no mexican than bad mexican. (I live in san diego where excellent mexican food is cheap and widely available.)

DJ Irie - (neutral) Never heard of this person.

Libarary Bar - Love it! Great idea!!!! A glass of wine, a good book = relaxing vacation.

New production shows - Eh. Remains to be seen. Carnival shows are a bit Las Vegas and boring to me. Nowhere near Disney, RCL, and NCL.

OF COURSE - the implementation is the thing.

Implementation is everything! But they have some great ideas! Crossing my fingers and waiting to read the reviews!

Blanca

George Lopez -(neutral to good) I am curious about this one. On the surface, it looks more like using a name mainstream comedian to lend his name to the club. There is a comment about "hourly" performances on sea days that catches my interest. Can't hurt- while I don't personally find him funny recently, I bet he has many connections in the entertainment industry and hopefully will know where to find the hot new up and coming comedians to fill those roles onboard. I will add that I don't much like the idea of comedians during brunch in the MDR...I don't need to be entertained every waking second and would prefer a nice quiet brunch with my family but that is just my opinion...

Guy's burgers -(neutral to good) This appears to be about presentation than substance. The decor is being upgraded. The rest depends on the new toppings offered. I am already happy with the current offerings, but I have simpler tastes. If the toppings get too fancy or exotic, I can always skip them. Again- can't hurt but having a Guy's burgers would not make me choose Carnival vs. another line...it is just another option for a meal (just like the sushi bar- which I love!)

Hasboro Game show - (neutral to good) I am curious. It could make for interesting entertainment. How good it is will depend on the host of the show. At worst, it's another opportunity to vie for a ship on a stick. I'll check it out once to see. I agree- alot will depend on the host, variety of prizes etc but at least it will be another entertainment option for me to bring my kids to aside from only having bingo...I think the Hasboro games will be more fun (at least I am hoping...)

EA bar, Red Frog Bar, Alchemy Blue Iguana Bar - (neutral to good) - Sounds like upgrades or decor changes to existing bars on the ship. The pool bars are kind of drab. Love the idea- I agree and feel that the pool bars need a bit more pizazz (not sure if I spelled that one right)

Blue Iguana Cantina - (good) more dining options at no extra cost. Some may call this a food downgrade. As long as the MDR food stays the same, this can't be a negative. Yes, I know that Mexican food is less expensive, but I like it. I like it too- as long as the food quality is above par

DJ Irie - (neutral) Frankly, I never heard of him. I'm not much of a disco kind of guy (using the word disco probably dates me). For the most part, it really doesn't affect me. If you like it, then dance away. Disco...hee hee! Anyway...I too have never heard of this DJ. He is pretty well known though in the music scene around Miami. I hope they don't turn the dance clubs into a techno music type of rave...one or two nights worth would be fine with me since I would just stay away on those nights...

Libarary Bar - (mixed) - I like the idea of a wine bar, the location, not so much A wine bar is a good idea. There are nice wine bars on Princess ships. I am not sure about the location though. You're taking away a quiet space that a number of people like, particularly if the weather isn't great on sea days. On some ships, it is already the internet room, why add more noise. A little cove off of the atrium would be a good spot though. Agree again- wine bar? great idea! In the library? Umm... not so much!

New production shows (good) - Frequent cruisers may have seen the shows a few times, so periodic changes are necessary. Yes- new shows please!!

OF COURSE - the implementation is the thing. If it is hype to mask cuts in shows or food quality, than booooooooooo. Otherwise, my math shows mostly goods, with one possible not so much. It may provide more options, which is good. Whether I use them is my choice.

Who's next?

My opinions are above in red...:) I agree with almost everything that you said but I whole heartedly agree that now matter what changes they are proposing- it will all depend upon how well they are executed... so we shall see! ;)

George Lopez -(neutral) Ok, as long as he stays away from politics I actually think he's very funny... someone like Bill Maher pulls off the political funny better then he does. However... he's not going to be on every sailing on every ship so it remains to be seen just how much he will affect my experience...

Guy's burgers -(good) Burgers are the husbands #1 food source of choice.... I love the idea of really good burgers, really good topping choices (hoping for avacados!) and I love good onion rings!

Hasboro Game show - (good) I honestly don't care for the production numbers and think many of them aren't really that good anyway... when I think Carnival production I think corny talking couches. I think this is a cool idea if done right and it's something we would enjoy immensely, but then, we are participators

EA bar, Red Frog Bar, Alchemy Blue Iguana Bar - (good) we aren't huge drinkers on the cruise but these places give us more options and will spruce up the appearance of the Lido deck. The EA sports bar is gonna be great and I can't wait to spend some down time playing some Madden against the husband while having a beer. We aren't sun people so the more stuff inside the better we are.

Blue Iguana Cantina - (good) I really hope the Mexican is good because I love love love Mexican!

DJ Irie - (neutral) Haven't really hit up the clubs at night before and probably won't unless I do a girls cruise one day, but I do prefer Hip Hop in a club atmosphere then the other cheesy stuff.. it's not a bad idea to throw an 80, 90's night in there... some good hip hop came out of the 90's. I think a lot of people confuse Hip Hop with Techno.. Techno stinks and it's hard to dance to... Hip Hop gets you moving the junk in your truck all around! ;)

Library Bar - (ehhhhhh) - won't use it.. seems like a waste as I never see anyone in the Library anyway, but I can see how it will be a good spot now for any wine tasting Carnival decides to hold. I also see the atmosphere they are trying to achieve by looking at the pictures on Carnival's website... I however don't think very many of the people who truly appreciate that atmosphere cruise on Carnival... so ehhhhh

New production shows (GREAT) - YES! please change them!! THEY ARE SOOO DATED! The best one we saw was on the Valor had some breakdancers in it... standing ovation.. Carnival needs to strive for that in it's shows! Quality over quantity...

Just my opinions of course....

still waiting to hear how they are going to accomplish Serenity on Deck 9 aft so I can have an opinion on that. Overall I am happy with Carnival trying to change it's product a bit and I look forward to experiencing it...

I REALLY like the new drink options (Red Rum Bar, etc.) Yes, I know I can get a drink on the ship right now, but the Red Frog Draft Tubes 101oz would be great for sharing..or not. ;) As well as the pitchers of Margarita...get chips and salsa from Blue Iguana...sounds like a nice day on the Lido!

George Lopez - taste in comedy is as subjective as taste in food or taste in music, etc...

Don't love or hate George Lopez's comedy and realistiically, that really isn't the point anyway.

I will take a 20-30 year professional comedian picking talent to perform on the ships, over a Carnival beard, who thinks Laverne and Shirley is cutting edge comedy.

Guy's burgers - I loved the gourmet burgers they added to the new menu on our Legend cruise a couple of weeks ago.

I can't imagine how much better Guy's burgers will taste, with him selecting the ingredients and seasonings.

And they are going to be free unlike Johnny Rockets on RCCL. Bonus...

Hasboro Game show -Have no idea what this is going to be like.

Have to see this exectuted to form any opinion.

EA bar-Looks like a nice cosmetic makeover for the sportsbars, but until Carnival actually carries some packages, they should really just call these "a bar" that plays lots of soccer and an occasional NFL game...

Red Frog Bar-Looks like a nice, visually pleasing upgrade to a bar on each ship. Nice to have bars with menus of some bar stuff available.

Tried the Red Frog ale on the Legend and it was mediocre at best.

Alchemy - Not my thing, but I'm sure it will please some portion of the passeneger mix.

Blue Iguana Bar - Very nice look to it....

Blue Iguana Cantina - I love any additional food choices and especially llove, that again, it is a free choice....

How anybody can be against additional free food choices, is beyond me.

DJ Irie - Never have cared or ever will care about the dance music onboard. But again, I'm sure this is extremely important to somebody else.

Libarary Bar - Don't drink wine, so again, no intrest at all to me.

New production shows - I could care less but DW will love different shows more frequently.

To me, this new program seems to be nothing but improvemnets to the ships.

If one isn't in your area of intrest, I'm sure it is to the passenger next to you.

A little bit of fresh ideas for everyone in my opinion.

Bill

I'll go first. Cruise lines need to make occasional changes to keep existig customers coming back and attract new customers, either new cruisers of from the competition. If you don't keep it fresh for your loyal base, they may move on. It costs much less to keep a customer than to get a new one.

George Lopez - I love this idea personally!! I am very exctied to see what kind of comedians will be there.

Guy's burgers Happy about this as well. I am a big fan of Guy's so hopefully the burgers will be juicy and delish. Also I realize we have options for burgers but I am not one to order in the MDR so this is great for me.

Hasboro Game show - This sound interesting and fun. Will have to wait and see how it goes.

EA bar, Red Frog Bar, Alchemy Blue Iguana Bar - Like the idea of all 3, nice to have different choices of bear and specialty drinks.

Blue Iguana Cantina - Love this as I love Mexican food and it is at not additional cost. Just hope they keep the mongolian wok and fish and chips.

DJ Irie - Never heard of him before but I love to dance so it is probably an upgrade.

Libarary Bar - I realize the location of this seems odd to most however I think it would be great to have a glass of wine or congac and play a game of chess or read a little. The area looks very nice and comfortable so this is something I will certainly check out.

New production shows Really happy about this one!!!! Need new shows for those who cruise frequently.

I like to keep an open mind and I will have a great time regardless!!!

I REALLY like the new drink options (Red Rum Bar, etc.) Yes, I know I can get a drink on the ship right now, but the Red Frog Draft Tubes 101oz would be great for sharing..or not. ;) As well as the pitchers of Margarita...get chips and salsa from Blue Iguana...sounds like a nice day on the Lido!

I agree with this........also love better selections of beer at the Blue Iguana cantina.....long overdue.

Love that they are remodeling the bars and burger place. Nothing wrong with improvements.....

Do not care one way or the other, as we consider the ship to be simply transportation from one port to the next. A ship with 2.0 upgrades will not sway me one way or the other given identical ports. It's all about the price.

However, since the OP asked:

Lopez - Meh, there's a reason TBS cancelled him.

Fieri - Again, meh. The current burgers serve the purpose. Why fix what's not broken?

Game show - Not interested.

Bars - It's the same alcohol.

Blue Iguana - This has potential.

DJ Irie - "Irie"? Seriously? Who says that? Hey Carnival, Jamaica called and they want their 70's slang back.

Boxed wine dispenser in the library - You're kidding, right?

New production shows - In all the years, I've never seen a duplicate or rerun show, so I don't care.

If Cahill was quoted correctly and is foreshadowing price hikes, you can take all of these and flush them.

Bravo! Well said and I couldn't agree more.

George Lopez -(neutral to good) I am curious about this one. On the surface, it looks more like using a name mainstream comedian to lend his name to the club. There is a comment about "hourly" performances on sea days that catches my interest. Do not like him especially. Too political and seems too hard up for a laugh. Will no go to see him.

Guy's burgers -(neutral to good) This appears to be about presentation than substance. The decor is being upgraded. The rest depends on the new toppings offered. I am already happy with the current offerings, but I have simpler tastes. If the toppings get too fancy or exotic, I can always skip them. Carnival cannot make a simple burger after all these years. But...I will be interested in this aspect. Agree with you....depends on the toppings and the venue.

Hasboro Game show - (neutral to good) I am curious. It could make for interesting entertainment. How good it is will depend on the host of the show. At worst, it's another opportunity to vie for a ship on a stick. I'll check it out once to see. Might be worth checking out. Especially on bad weather days. But....that would be the only reason I stay inside.

EA bar, Red Frog Bar, Alchemy Blue Iguana Bar - (neutral to good) - Sounds like upgrades or decor changes to existing bars on the ship. The pool bars are kind of drab. A bar is a bar is a bar. But....some people are drawn to certain atmospheres. So, we will check it out.

Blue Iguana Cantina - (good) more dining options at no extra cost. Some may call this a food downgrade. As long as the MDR food stays the same, this can't be a negative. Yes, I know that Mexican food is less expensive, but I like it. As long as it is not just a Taco Bell at sea. I love the MDR for the evening meal, but like to try other options for lunch.

DJ Irie - (neutral) Frankly, I never heard of him. I'm not much of a disco kind of guy (using the word disco probably dates me). For the most part, it really doesn't affect me. If you like it, then dance away. Love to dance, but can only take so much disco. All sounds alike after a while.

Libarary Bar - (mixed) - I like the idea of a wine bar, the location, not so much A wine bar is a good idea. There are nice wine bars on Princess ships. I am not sure about the location though. You're taking away a quiet space that a number of people like, particularly if the weather isn't great on sea days. On some ships, it is already the internet room, why add more noise. A little cove off of the atrium would be a good spot though. I agree with you.

New production shows (good) - Frequent cruisers may have seen the shows a few times, so periodic changes are necessary. Definitely need something new for the big extravaganza. Have seen the others many times.

OF COURSE - the implementation is the thing. If it is hype to mask cuts in shows or food quality, than booooooooooo. Otherwise, my math shows mostly goods, with one possible not so much. It may provide more options, which is good. Whether I use them is my choice. Well said.

Who's next?

I like to see changes. But, not all change is good. We will wait and make a more "first-hand" review after sailing. When are these supposed to go into effect? That is probably on here somewhere, but I cannot find. It is on all ships by a certain date?

Thanks for this thread.

I opened a can of worms yesterday with my opinion, so I won't go there on most things, but I just can't see marketing an improvement when it's just another bar. And yes, my post got locked as two people argued over whether cancer and alcholholism were both diseases, blahblahblah, my point was lost. And the thread was killed by the hosts. I love to cruise, but I love good coffee. I don't drink Friend of Bill W for more than 20 years. Why don't they add a Starbucks, or just improve the quality of coffee. Do you need a trained DJ? Why not seperate the bars into music gengre. A 60's thing, a 50's thing, and 80's thing, something like that. It was suggested by several people that if I didn't like what they were doing on Carnival I can choose another cruise line, and yes I have plans to change for another type of cruise. And I can always go somewhere on the ship to find a quieter peaceful place, not near a bar.

I think the library bar especially on a Fantasy class is just really creating another bar. Period. Yes the Friends of Bill W met there, and the Chef's table ate there, but there were never many books, the games were "old" and the room was locked far too many hours to create a good "atmosphere", or inviting place.

But now outside the dining hall will be the Piano bar, the Library bar and I think that may effect the participants in the MDR. I miss having a smoking bar. Oh well.

I opened a can of worms yesterday with my opinion, so I won't go there on most things, but I just can't see marketing an improvement when it's just another bar. And yes, my post got locked as two people argued over whether cancer and alcholholism were both diseases, blahblahblah, my point was lost. And the thread was killed by the hosts. I love to cruise, but I love good coffee. I don't drink Friend of Bill W for more than 20 years. Why don't they add a Starbucks, or just improve the quality of coffee. Do you need a trained DJ? Why not seperate the bars into music gengre. A 60's thing, a 50's thing, and 80's thing, something like that. It was suggested by several people that if I didn't like what they were doing on Carnival I can choose another cruise line, and yes I have plans to change for another type of cruise. And I can always go somewhere on the ship to find a quieter peaceful place, not near a bar.

I think the library bar especially on a Fantasy class is just really creating another bar. Period. Yes the Friends of Bill W met there, and the Chef's table ate there, but there were never many books, the games were "old" and the room was locked far too many hours to create a good "atmosphere", or inviting place.

But now outside the dining hall will be the Piano bar, the Library bar and I think that may effect the participants in the MDR. I miss having a smoking bar. Oh well.

I'm gonna have to second that... I miss a good cigar on over stuffed chairs with classical, or soft piano music, to good conversation. On a RC cruise last year they still had one - and I loved it.... I wish Carnival would stick one off to the side and out of the way somewhere. It didn't need to be so big & in the middle where it had been. ~ :cool:

I like that they are updating and "improving". But, how much will it all cost? Carnival does not charge for each individual thing like some of the other lines now do (NCL, RCCL).

They don't? Like what fer instance?

I like that they are updating and "improving". But, how much will it all cost? Carnival does not charge for each individual thing like some of the other lines now do (NCL, RCCL).

Actually when RCCL put in the Johnny Rockets they didn't charge in the beginning either.......

Archived