Professional walkie talkies

I've seen posts from time to time asking about walkie talkies, but has anybody ever used professional ones on a ship. They come in VHF and UHF models.....best I can tell, it looks like the UHF model should work the best in an environment with lots of steel. I've used various FRS and GMRS radios. The GMRS ones work O.K.....but there has to be a better way. If the crew can run around all over the ship with walkies, there has got to be some "good" radios out there to use that are better than FRS/GMRS.

I know they'll have to not be on the same frequencies as used onboard, and of course not interfere with navigation (which I highly doubt that any frequency they'd use could affect the instruments at all, but I guess anything is possible)

I am aware of using these off the ship and that most "foreign" ports would not be real pleased to see somebody using them in their country.

Anybody know about which is better ? (UHF or VHF) Any suggestions on a reasonable type one to buy? I'm hoping to not have to pay more than $100 a piece and still get something functional..........Thoughts ?????

Having been an RF tech for many years, I am making an assumption that ships use repeaters to allow their radios to reach all portions of the ship. Frequency makes no difference in penetrating steel bulkheads. Increasing power will not do anything for that either. Hope this helps!

Having been an RF tech for many years, I am making an assumption that ships use repeaters to allow their radios to reach all portions of the ship. Frequency makes no difference in penetrating steel bulkheads. Increasing power will not do anything for that either. Hope this helps!

This is about it. When you hit UHF (FRS/GMRS) the ship is going to drastically diminish the range of the off the shelf walkie talkies, not to mention the low power that all of the consumer stuff uses. GMRS has a little higher power, but again, going through so many bulkheads is going to reduce it's efficacy.

MURS is an unlicensed VHF service but there are only 5 available frequencies and you're limited to 2 watts. CB is another unlicensed service that is down toward the HF range, but again, you're limited to power and the radios are quite bulky.

Those are all options you can try, but the ship itself is going to be a big hinderance in point to point communication. Power does help, but at a consumer level you're just not going to get enough out of a handheld to get great coverage through the ship. I'd like to see something like WiFi based VoIP phones offered to cruising families to rent, but I am almost certain that you'd see a number of units destroyed or abused by children and teenagers.

This is about it. When you hit UHF (FRS/GMRS) the ship is going to drastically diminish the range of the off the shelf walkie talkies, not to mention the low power that all of the consumer stuff uses. GMRS has a little higher power, but again, going through so many bulkheads is going to reduce it's efficacy.

MURS is an unlicensed VHF service but there are only 5 available frequencies and you're limited to 2 watts. CB is another unlicensed service that is down toward the HF range, but again, you're limited to power and the radios are quite bulky.

Those are all options you can try, but the ship itself is going to be a big hinderance in point to point communication. Power does help, but at a consumer level you're just not going to get enough out of a handheld to get great coverage through the ship. I'd like to see something like WiFi based VoIP phones offered to cruising families to rent, but I am almost certain that you'd see a number of units destroyed or abused by children and teenagers.

Now I got a vote for power does help (which I assumed it would) good to see different thoughts.....hoping to see somebody post....."oh ya, I used the _______ radios and they worked great on our cruise."

Now I got a vote for power does help (which I assumed it would) good to see different thoughts.....hoping to see somebody post....."oh ya, I used the _______ radios and they worked great on our cruise."

I based my input on the fact that RCL limits walkie talkies to 5 watts. That is not enough power to penetrate ships structure. If you are a fireman and work in a city then your hand held radios are on a network that includes repeaters much like cellular towers for cell phones. The ones I am familiar with are usually 5 watt and will not reach far enough without the aid of repeaters. RCL shows that you can bring 5 watt radios with a 10 mile range. I don't see those being that reliable on the ship.

Power does help, but as Scotty mentioned, you're not going to get that much power out of a handheld (two main reasons: battery life and RF exposure), and without a repeater system or open air, your range is going to be greatly diminished.

My parents have brought FRS/GMRS radios, but between the lack of range even on a ship like the Monarch and the fact that anyone with a few bucks can go snag a set off the shelf and their kids are going to go crazy on all the channels, it just didn't work. They're going to bring them this weekend on our Freedom cruise, but with even more passengers I don't see it working out well.

...I'd like to see something like WiFi based VoIP phones offered to cruising families to rent, but I am almost certain that you'd see a number of units destroyed or abused by children and teenagers.

They have these on Oasis and Allure. It's called Royal Connect, and they cost $35 per phone for the cruise. They are basically iPod touch units (WiFi but no cellular) that use the pervasive WiFi throughout the ship. I suspect these will start showing up on other ships as Royal retrofits the older ships with pervasive WiFi. In addition to texting and voice communication, they also implement location finding between linked units so you can graphically see the location of other units superimposed on a deck plan.

They have these on Oasis and Allure. It's called Royal Connect, and they cost $35 per phone for the cruise. They are basically iPod touch units (WiFi but no cellular) that use the pervasive WiFi throughout the ship. I suspect these will start showing up on other ships as Royal retrofits the older ships with pervasive WiFi. In addition to texting and voice communication, they also implement location finding between linked units so you can graphically see the location of other units superimposed on a deck plan.

I have to say, that was one of the best features on our recent Disney Dream cruise: wavephones. Each stateroom got 2 to use (no fee) and you could call or text any other room or wavephone from them. Great for families with kids who are too old to be watched constantly but too young to run around on their own for too long. I am hoping other lines jump on board with these!

I've used Motorola Talkabouts in the past with no problems on frequency or finding a unused channel. They are inexpensive and durable.

I would recommend not spending $100 each on them because its possible you might find it more of a nuisance carrying them around. We ended up leaving them at home after a few cruises. But.. they do come in handy if you have small kids you want to keep track of.

Your best bet is to find a couple of used 5 watt commercial radios. Generally speaking, they are MUCH better than consumer grade. They won't be cheap though. UHF radios have shorter antennas; so I'd recommend them. (Get them programmed with the GMRS frequencies.)

Aloha,

John

Archived