Mediterranean (Equinox) Shore Excursions

24butterfly

Have tried hunting all over the boards for them, but I am interested in people who have taken X's shore excursions....In particular:

Priene + Miletus + Didyma (Kusadasi)--also, did you get back int ime for shopping in Kusadasi?

Corinth Canal Cruise (Athens)--how did you like it?

Delos (Mykonos).

THanks for all your input.....Whatever you can offer I appreciate....

After stopping in Athens many times, we decided to take the Corinth Canal excursion with Celebrity last year. We felt it was very worthwhile. It is about a 45 minute ride to the canal staging area, where we boarded the boat and transversed the canal. The scenery and the guide were superb. There was a snack buffet served aboard.

Afterwards we visited the Corinth ruins and had a guided walking tour. Of course, the obligatory shopping stop was included, which consisted of a sculpture/dishes outlet. Many of our group made substantial purchases

We found the day enjoyable and worthwhile.

After stopping in Athens many times, we decided to take the Corinth Canal excursion with Celebrity last year. We felt it was very worthwhile. It is about a 45 minute ride to the canal staging area, where we boarded the boat and transversed the canal. The scenery and the guide were superb. There was a snack buffet served aboard.

Afterwards we visited the Corinth ruins and had a guided walking tour. Of course, the obligatory shopping stop was included, which consisted of a sculpture/dishes outlet. Many of our group made substantial purchases

We found the day enjoyable and worthwhile.

Thank you vey much....Your comments are appreciated.

We took the Delos tour. It was windy and cold on Delos, but the history was very interesting. Make sure you use the bathroom on the small boat on the way to the island, there is only one restroom on Delos, in the museum. You go on a guided 2 hour walking tour of the island, then end up in the museum. I thought it was worth the money. You can visit the island on your own, but you really need a guide to interpret the ancient ruins.

We took the Delos tour. It was windy and cold on Delos, but the history was very interesting. Make sure you use the bathroom on the small boat on the way to the island, there is only one restroom on Delos, in the museum. You go on a guided 2 hour walking tour of the island, then end up in the museum. I thought it was worth the money. You can visit the island on your own, but you really need a guide to interpret the ancient ruins.

When did you go? We are going in July of next year. (I know, it's a long way off....)Thanks for your reply.....How were the ruins themselves---were you able to tell anything--? Thanks again.

Just came back a week ago from the Equinox. We did not do any of the ship's excursions but rather our CC group arranged our own. We did a fantastic one in Ephesus and Kusadasi. If you would like more information, you can email me at schwalmie at aol dot com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
My husband and I are going on the Equinox in April out of rome and would love to get any information you can give.....I will be getting ahold of you soon....thanks

Hi Eyetwinkle-

Just wrote to you earlier. Would love to see about this person's experience with a rpivate tour.

Marge and JM

Have tried hunting all over the boards for them, but I am interested in people who have taken X's shore excursions....In particular:

Priene + Miletus + Didyma (Kusadasi)--also, did you get back int ime for shopping in Kusadasi?

Corinth Canal Cruise (Athens)--how did you like it?

Delos (Mykonos).

THanks for all your input.....Whatever you can offer I appreciate....

To be honest - a shore ex really isn't needed in Mykonos. I'd recommend just going into town and wandering. That's what we did and it was very nice. Here are some photographs to prove it :-) https://picasaweb.google.com/103697664725694822863/Vacation2011MykonosGreece

When you're in Mykonos, be on the lookout for Petros!

IMG_1913.jpg

He was cool. They mention him on the on ship talk they give about Mykonos.

When you get off the ship, you'll see the infamous windmills (that dont move lol) right in front of you.

IMG_1838.jpg

Yes, that's the Equinox in the background! I like taking 'artsy' shots, or what i perceive as artsy LOL

Also- make sure you watch the sunset during sailaway - if it coincides time wise. It did for us in the fall - it was amazing. Ive never seen the sun disappear into water like that - so pretty (there are videos on the link above).

Now I wish I were on vacation right now!

....but if this is your first time in Athens, the Acropolis and the Plaka are the must sees. IMO.

That is, if they aren't striking. When we went, everything was closed due to strikes, so we didn't really have a good experience in Athens... :( The cruise line even changed our port order to try to get to Athens on a date that strikes weren't occurring, but they went on that day too anyway. They tried.

We did the Corinth Canal cruise in 2011. We really enjoyed it and if you have already seen Athens, I would highly recommend it as a good alternative....but if this is your first time in Athens, the Acropolis and the Plaka are the must sees. IMO.

Oh no, not the 1st time in Athens nor the 1st on Mykonos. that's why I wanted to know about the Delos xcurs'n and Corinth Canal--we've seen the canal, but not gone thru it.....Just looking for other things to do--been to Aegina, also...Too bad not enough time for Hydra....

Thanks everyone...

If you arrive at Mykonos before noon, it is very easy to get the ferry to Delos on your own. It's a short ride and leaves right from the little harbor. Delos was amazing to me, one of the most memorable places I have ever been. I love that there is nothing on the island except the small museum and a lot of history! We didn't have a guide, just wandered--it was still wonderful.

In Athens we used Jordan as a driver--he took us to Corinth and to wonderful Mycenae, but he can customize a tour to anything you want to see. We really enjoyed the ancient capital of Greece, Nafplion, as well. His email is www.athens-tours.gr if you would like to see what he can do for your day.

To be honest - a shore ex really isn't needed in Mykonos. I'd recommend just going into town and wandering. That's what we did and it was very nice. Here are some photographs to prove it :-) https://picasaweb.google.com/103697664725694822863/Vacation2011MykonosGreece

When you're in Mykonos, be on the lookout for Petros!

IMG_1913.jpg

He was cool. They mention him on the on ship talk they give about Mykonos.

When you get off the ship, you'll see the infamous windmills (that dont move lol) right in front of you.

IMG_1838.jpg

Yes, that's the Equinox in the background! I like taking 'artsy' shots, or what i perceive as artsy LOL

Also- make sure you watch the sunset during sailaway - if it coincides time wise. It did for us in the fall - it was amazing. Ive never seen the sun disappear into water like that - so pretty (there are videos on the link above).

Now I wish I were on vacation right now!

Love your pictures:) I will be on Equinox in May. First time

to the Med:D from what I gather, Mykonos, Santorini AND

Rhodes are very doable without tours.....would you agree?

Love your pictures:) I will be on Equinox in May. First time

to the Med:D from what I gather, Mykonos, Santorini AND

Rhodes are very doable without tours.....would you agree?

I agree that Mykonos and Rhodes are doable without tours.

Santorini you're going to want to go to Oia Village (pronounced ee-uh) and I haven't figured out how to do that on my own - and don't trust myself since you have to take the cable car/donkey up and down and that can take 3 hours of your time right there. Everyone has to take them down - but on the excursions you are tendered to a different area and then driven to Oia.

Some people will say that Oia is doable on your own, but personally I've not risked it in the 2 times I was there.

I agree that Mykonos and Rhodes are doable without tours.

Santorini you're going to want to go to Oia Village (pronounced ee-uh) and I haven't figured out how to do that on my own - and don't trust myself since you have to take the cable car/donkey up and down and that can take 3 hours of your time right there. Everyone has to take them down - but on the excursions you are tendered to a different area and then driven to Oia.

Some people will say that Oia is doable on your own, but personally I've not risked it in the 2 times I was there.

Hi, thanks for the input:) I do lots of things on my own (cruising

for example;)) but since this is my first time to the Med I will look

for something through the cruiseship in Santorini then.....

We have a really nice roll call and I am on private tours in Athens,

Ehphasus, Sicily and Naples but these 3 stops in Greece I have

nothing booked.

Oh, I will not be doing the Donkey thing...so the cablecar will be

for me.

You can also walk up or down the donkey path. It would take about 30-45 minutes - and remember you'd be walking amongst donkey doo doo and stuff lol.

We were going to do an excursion in Rhodes but then due to the strikes, the thing we were gonna see was closed anyway so we ended up going DIY in Rhodes, Mykonos and Athens actually. We like DIY as we dont really like being tied into the herd - but sometimes its necessary or helps you get off the ship faster. In santorini you will definitely tender - and excursions get the priority on tenders so the rest of the folks must wait. I did a noon excursion to a winery then to Oia, then they took us back to Fira where you can wander around on your own before taking the cable car back down. I have a video of the cable ride down :-)

Click on the link to watch it. Hope you're not afraid of heights :-) https://picasaweb.google.com/103697664725694822863/Vacation2011Santorini#5683250675143811394

Also, here's a pic of the prices for the cable car as of oct 2011, just as an fyi

IMG_2905.JPG

Thanks for sharing the video:) I am ok with heights and will be doing

the cablecar. Looks like you caught a rainy day:(

Yeah I was SO disappointed. It was cold and rainy. Nothing like typical Santorini weather. :( It was my 2nd visit there, and i brought a much better camera that time, but unfortunately it wasn't to be for me. lol

Maybe my 3rd time (whenever that will be) it will be nice out :-)

Archived