Airmiles and Norwegian

RaceAddict

First of all, would it be so difficult to have access to an assortment of itineraries on the NCL.com with the associated Air Miles costs available for viewing? Carnival can do it... why not Norwegian?

Secondly, has anyone here every purchased their Norwegian cruise through Air Miles, either in whole or in part? I'm wondering what the cost "equivalent" is roughly with NCL, and I really don't want to bother calling an Air Miles agent. I hate to make them work for nothing more than satisfying my curiosity.

I had to look up what "Air Miles" is and found out it's a Canadian loyalty program? So NCL is probably not a partner of Air Miles and/or it's not big enough to matter to NCL. It might confuse people to price cruises with Air Miles on their site, which is not something you want in a booking path experience.

I had to look up what "Air Miles" is and found out it's a Canadian loyalty program? So NCL is probably not a partner of Air Miles and/or it's not big enough to matter to NCL. It might confuse people to price cruises with Air Miles on their site, which is not something you want in a booking path experience.

As far as I can see Carnival hasn't partnered with air miles either.

You can book a cruise through airmiles using your accumulated points with numerous cruiselines including NCL.

First of all, would it be so difficult to have access to an assortment of itineraries on the NCL.com with the associated Air Miles costs available for viewing? Carnival can do it... why not Norwegian?

Secondly, has anyone here every purchased their Norwegian cruise through Air Miles, either in whole or in part? I'm wondering what the cost "equivalent" is roughly with NCL, and I really don't want to bother calling an Air Miles agent. I hate to make them work for nothing more than satisfying my curiosity.

Sorry I couldn't find what you were talking about on the Carnival site either. So I really don't know what it is you are looking for.

If you are talking about the link through the airmiles site to Carnival's breakdown. Look at the address on your internet, it is from the air miles site not Carnival.

I've never accumulated enough points to worry about booking through air miles.

For me with my card you can book thru NCL and because it shows up as travel on the statement you can request a credit. i havent been denied that way.

Now I'm not sure what you are talking about. Are we all talking about the same thing?

Airmiles is not a credit card. So how can it show up "as travel" on a statement.

Sorry I couldn't find what you were talking about on the Carnival site either. So I really don't know what it is you are looking for.

If you are talking about the link through the airmiles site to Carnival's breakdown. Look at the address on your internet, it is from the air miles site not Carnival.

http://airmiles.carnivalcruise.ca/index.asp?n=44444444445&language=en

That's a Carnival site, not an Air Miles site. The .ca is owned by Carnival, I looked it up:

Registrant: Name: Carnival Corporation

In any case, Azamara, Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean are all listed on the airmiles.ca website but only Carnival has a link back to their own site (albeit a regional one) with a listing of costs. Some of the others (Azamara, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean) do have sample itineraries though so members can at least get an idea what the costs are...

http://airmiles.carnivalcruise.ca/index.asp?n=44444444445&language=en

That's a Carnival site, not an Air Miles site. The .ca is owned by Carnival, I looked it up:

Registrant: Name: Carnival Corporation

In any case, Azamara, Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean are all listed on the airmiles.ca website but only Carnival has a link back to their own site (albeit a regional one) with a listing of costs. Some of the others (Azamara, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean) do have sample itineraries though so members can at least get an idea what the costs are...

This is not a Carnival site it is an airmiles site, the .ca means it is a canadian domain name, which is why all canadian government sites are .ca.

If you go to that site, you will see a TERMS and CONDITIONS and will find things like "Travel Services are arranged by LoyaltyOne Travel Services Inc."

http://airmiles.carnivalcruise.ca/airmiles_terms.asp

And, as said, the .ca is for Canada. And not just the government.

Some examples:

.BR

Brazil

.BT

Bhutan

.BY

Belarus

.BZ

Belize

.CA

Canada

.CC

Cocos Islands

.CD

Dem. Republic of Congo

.CF

Central African Republic

.CG

Congo

.CH

Switzerland

.CK

Cook Islands

.CL

Chile

.CM

Cameroon

.CN

China

.CO

Colombia

.CR

This is not a Carnival site it is an airmiles site, the .ca means it is a canadian domain name, which is why all canadian government sites are .ca.

:rolleyes:

So if I go to http://translate.google.com/ the site belongs to Translate, and not Google? And http://en.wikipedia.org is an en site, not a wikipedia site?

The domain name (word attached to the suffix) is the site, in this case Carnival... not necessarily the first word in the URL, which is the hostname.

Can't help you with the first part of your Q. But I believe you might be getting confused with Aeroplan miles for the second part.It's very similar to "Air Miles" accumulate points ( miles) thru various participating vendors.

This might get censored by the moderator but google expedia cruise and you will be able to use aeroplan miles thru them to book your cruise and you will also be able to accumulate miles by purchasing your cruise thru them.

You will have to go to aeroplan's site to register , get a card & # to use for purchases.

Hope this helps.

cheers...the Ump...:D

As an Airmiles junkie this thread is frustrating to read.

To clear up any confusion: Airmiles is a loyalty program. It's Canadian, but it's also available in the UK, Spain, the Netherlands, and one or two countries in the middle east.

In Canada, there are a few credit cards tied to the Airmiles program. But not many. Every person with an Airmiles account is given a Collector Card. Many stores are Airmiles sponsors, so that I can go to a store, make a purchase in cash/credit/debit, show my Airmiles Collector Card, and earn some Airmiles.

When I have enough Airmiles saved up I can use them to buy a flight or choose from a wide variety of merchandise.

What the OP is asking is why he/she can't use his/her Airmiles to purchase an NCL cruise. The answer is because NCL isn't part of the Airmiles program. Carnival IS part of the Airmiles program and any Airmiles collector can use their accumulated Airmiles to purchase a cruise from Carnival.

Carnival beat NCL to the punch, so to speak. They (Carnival) probably were given exclusivity in exchange for being part of the Airmiles program.

How in the hell that question devolved into a foolish arguement over the .ca top level domain extension is beyond me.

umpy10 - Cheers, but my wife works for Aeroplan. We're well versed in how that program works. Before we were married I was an Air Miles guy though... so now I've got thousands of miles and I barely use that program anymore, hence why I'm trying to figure out something to use them on.

radzer0 - Yes, it's a loyalty program tied to credit cards, points cards, and dozens of partners. Buy gas at certain places, groceries, whatever... it all adds up miles.

rajones007 - Unless I'm reading something totally wrong I think you might be mistaken on the point of being unable to purchase an NCL cruise with my miles.

I just took this screen cap from the airmiles website:

3520pvm.jpg

NCL is clearly one of the 6 brands listed on the "Redeem" page.

When you click the link leading to the NCL page you'll see this:

2i72r01.jpg

and

aokt1c.jpg

According to that I can redeem towards a cruise.

As I mentioned above, among the 6 listed, 4 have sample itineraries and costs (in $ or miles) and only one, Carnival, has a link back to their own site http://carnivalcruise.ca/ (which contrary to what someone said earlier, is in fact their site, not anyone else's).

umpy10 - Cheers, but my wife works for Aeroplan. We're well versed in how that program works. Before we were married I was an Air Miles guy though... so now I've got thousands of miles and I barely use that program anymore, hence why I'm trying to figure out something to use them on.

radzer0 - Yes, it's a loyalty program tied to credit cards, points cards, and dozens of partners. Buy gas at certain places, groceries, whatever... it all adds up miles.

rajones007 - Unless I'm reading something totally wrong I think you might be mistaken on the point of being unable to purchase an NCL cruise with my miles.

I just took this screen cap from the airmiles website:

3520pvm.jpg

NCL is clearly one of the 6 brands listed on the "Redeem" page.

When you click the link leading to the NCL page you'll see this:

2i72r01.jpg

and

aokt1c.jpg

According to that I can redeem towards a cruise.

As I mentioned above, among the 6 listed, 4 have sample itineraries and costs (in $ or miles) and only one, Carnival, has a link back to their own site http://carnivalcruise.ca/ (which contrary to what someone said earlier, is in fact their site, not anyone else's).

NCL is available as a redemption reward. So are Breville food steamers. Breville isn't involved, it's just that their stuff is available through Wholesalers and Loyalty Management Group (the Airmiles folks) figured out how many miles = profit + cost of item.

Same thing with the cruises. Since AirMiles also has a travel agency (they book their own flights, etc. and presumably are entitled to whatever commissions that generates), the calculations for how many air miles must be done by AirMiles.

I saw the site, and acknowledge that it's a Carnival site...but you still have to call AirMiles to redeem....and they could at any time tell you that the published info is wrong, and that the only way to know how many miles are required is to call.....

Just sayin'....

Stephen

Yes I know... that's generally how the programs work. They buy the cruise (toaster, airline seat, rental car, hotel room, gift certificate, whatever) from the partner and then "sell" it to you for an equivalent value in points.

As an Airmiles junkie this thread is frustrating to read.

To clear up any confusion: Airmiles is a loyalty program. It's Canadian, but it's also available in the UK, Spain, the Netherlands, and one or two countries in the middle east.

In Canada, there are a few credit cards tied to the Airmiles program. But not many. Every person with an Airmiles account is given a Collector Card. Many stores are Airmiles sponsors, so that I can go to a store, make a purchase in cash/credit/debit, show my Airmiles Collector Card, and earn some Airmiles.

When I have enough Airmiles saved up I can use them to buy a flight or choose from a wide variety of merchandise.

What the OP is asking is why he/she can't use his/her Airmiles to purchase an NCL cruise. The answer is because NCL isn't part of the Airmiles program. Carnival IS part of the Airmiles program and any Airmiles collector can use their accumulated Airmiles to purchase a cruise from Carnival.

Carnival beat NCL to the punch, so to speak. They (Carnival) probably were given exclusivity in exchange for being part of the Airmiles program.

How in the hell that question devolved into a foolish arguement over the .ca top level domain extension is beyond me.

Thanks for posting this, you saved me the time of doing it.

I have credit cards through my bank, I get various amounts of points based on my spend. I spend a lot. :)

I am based in the UK, so far this year I have had 2 Business class return flights to Barcelona, 3 nights in a decent Barcelona hotel and have booked 2 economy class return flights to Houston. All in all I saved around £2000/ $3000 this year.

I am in the UK and when I enquired about cruises I was told £60 per 1000 miles would be discounted from the cost of the cruise if I booked with Airmiles.

As of November this year there will be major changes, taxes and fees will no longer be included, so I doubt I will ever see another year like this one again. Things may be different in Canada to the UK so why not call them and ask,.

You can book just about any major cruiseline with Airmiles, it has nothing to do with the cruise lines participating or not. We've gotten quotes for NCL cruises before and our current Carnival cruise is booked through them. They're pretty much like any other travel agency except that you can pay with airmiles. You can either redeem your miles, use a combination of cash and miles, or just cash.

RaceAddict - their prices are pretty much the same as what the cruiseline websites advertise, no real discounts. If you book through them, they also charge a $20 per person booking fee. The airmiles only count towards the base fare, you still pay the taxes and fees. The only advantage to using airmiles to book is if you have enough airmiles for at least one of you to go for "free". That's the only reason our Carnival cruise was booked with them. It was cheap enough that we could both sail on our miles. I will say, though, that their agents are great, at least the ones I've dealt with. They have a dedicated travel department, so they know what they're doing for the most part. They don't all understand Carnival's Early Saver program, but they have given good info about the cruises themselves.

The airmiles only count towards the base fare, you still pay the taxes and fees.

My wife always gets a laugh when her customers wonder why they have to pay additional $$$ after booking a flight with miles. She has to explain that the government has no interest in miles, points, or any other loyalty programs. :rolleyes:

Whoops. My mistake. Sorry if I added to the confusion of this thread. I'm an Airmiles junkie, but I never use the rewards for travel. I collect Airmiles like a madman because it's so easy, but I only redeem for merchandise (two 64gb Ipod Touch's last spring. And it only took me 14 months to reach that many Airmiles.)

(Off topic...The rate-of-return for booking travel using Airmiles is not very great. I get a better RoR using a simple no-fee cashback credit card card. Airmiles is great if you reach Gold Collector status because most flights will cost 25% less Airmiles. Merchandise has a good RoR too, but once again it's usually only if they have a special for Gold Collectors.)

Archived