Confusion (among Celebrity itself) with Celebrity Passages

2SeaWithMe

The passages promotion is a good idea for those who are certain of their cruise choice & book on board to get both the upgrades & the OBCs;).

What we don't like is that Celebrity has been droping prices after final payment ,for "New Bookings Only" :o . Here is a great example of how the passages works against you .We booked early on for 3 cruises B2B2B . We monitor the cruise pricing on a on line web site ;which sends e-mails when the cruise line drops the price (the same day) . We saved over $1600 with e-mails ;because we got the price reductions before final payment:D. However, our Panama Canal cruise was droped 40% after final payment & all we could get was a small upgrade from Veranda 2A to Concierge C3 :o.

The foregoing example is why we will no longer book any Celebrity cruise until after final payment. There are just too many downsides to book early in the booking process. Open passages can still be used after final payment:D.

What you are saying is unfortunately absolutely correct.

It has been a big time matter of contention and discussion on these boards for quite a while now.

I do not know a thing about other cruise lines but only from what I have been told all the lines work the same way after final payment.

There are basically 2 camps on this issue.

One side says exactly what you are saying. The other side disagrees on the grounds of limited cabin selection, higher airfares, locked in rates in case the price rises and doesn't drop, no 3 cat. upgrade with Open Passages, etc, etc.

For my 2 cents. I have about 40 bookings in advance at all times. I have been booking them well in advance. The vast majority of the time prices have remained flat or have risen after final payment.

However, on the occassion when prices have dropped after final payment to the extent that you have talked about, and they have, I quickly forget all the price increases and curse so loud they hear me in the Miami Office.

These are the chances you take.

I am thinking seriously about waiting until after FP for my Caribbean bookings as I live 10 minutes from the Port in Ft. Lauderdale and can be much more flexible with my cruise selection. However, my DW needs her rooms in a certain area and I don't want to risk them being sold out so I remain in a quandry.

EMIL

I think part of the confusion is because people do not understand that the booking/account number on their Open Passages is their reservation #. When you call your TA or X to book a specific cruise using your Open Passage that is the booking # they will use and the OBC etc will then automatically go with it. When you book your own cruise and then try to apply the passages it will not work because in effect you now have 2 booking #'s. It is very important to protect the Passages reservation # - if after booking a cruise you need to make changes, do not cancel but transfer to another cruise in order to keep it current.

It's too bad that there doesn't seem to be some sort of Q & A sheet given out when purchasing this product. I have to say that we had a very good FCC when we were on the Millie and everything was explained correctly.

I understand what you are saying, but that is not the case here. The reservation number has no connection with my problem of Celebrity not honoring what their FCC & the Passages Certificate states. As I've gotten the combined discount in the past, I can only assume it has been changed, as I was sent the wording on the "current" certificates and it's much more restrictive than the wording on my own. If I had received the new certificate on the cruise, I would have gone immediately back to the office and cancelled the passages.

It's not a complicated program, it's just presented badly (and perhaps purposefully) by the FCC onboard. All they have to say is "You cannot combine this with any specials, group bookings, restricted fares or coupons." Since they only sell two items, why not have this on a little plaque at the desk or printed on the bottom of the cert, as it's certainly contrary to what many of us have been told about the program.

I'm aware of the Savings Certificate T & C....the manager of the Captain's Club had NO access to her own department's literature and "I" had to read it to her from the website.

The foregoing example is why we will no longer book any Celebrity cruise until after final payment. There are just too many downsides to book early in the booking process. Open passages can still be used after final payment:D.

We used to book several cruises while on board. Since April we have cancelled a dozen Celebrity bookings for 2012. On our cruise last month we switched to passages and we will use them when our TA announces special pricing. This however has opened us up to special pricing on competing lines as well. It has been well over a decade since we have such few Celebrity cruises planned.

I understand what you are saying, but that is not the case here. The reservation number has no connection with my problem of Celebrity not honoring what their FCC & the Passages Certificate states. As I've gotten the combined discount in the past, I can only assume it has been changed, as I was sent the wording on the "current" certificates and it's much more restrictive than the wording on my own. If I had received the new certificate on the cruise, I would have gone immediately back to the office and cancelled the passages.

It's not a complicated program, it's just presented badly (and perhaps purposefully) by the FCC onboard. All they have to say is "You cannot combine this with any specials, group bookings, restricted fares or coupons." Since they only sell two items, why not have this on a little plaque at the desk or printed on the bottom of the cert, as it's certainly contrary to what many of us have been told about the program.

I'm aware of the Savings Certificate T & C....the manager of the Captain's Club had NO access to her own department's literature and "I" had to read it to her from the website.

Good Afternoon,

I am a little late to this party. I am well versed in things Celebrity. I am trying to grasp what you are saying to try and clarify but my brain is muddled and confused. This is not your fault at all as you are aware of what you are trying to convey but I can't compute.

When I read or hear FCC I am thinking of Future Cruise Credit. Do you mean that or do you mean CSM, Cruise Sales Manager, the person selling on board? I am sure it is easy but what is a T & C?

If you could go back and explain the situation to me (as I am NOT SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER) in basic terms I will try to lend a hand.

It is always easier talking about things than writing about them and I am lost.

Thanks,

EMIL

Sorry, by FCC I mean Future Cruise Coordinator or CSM.

By T & C I mean terms and conditions.

Wow, I really hate acronyms. LOL

The post you copied was a reply to Christine Frances who said the majority of issues with the passages certificates were due to people not understanding they are already assigned a reservation number with Celebrity. That wasn't my issue at all.

I was basically just trying to state that the FCC/CSM are fudging the details of the program either accidentally, or purposefully, when they sell these onboard. People come home and cannot use them as they have been informed, and it goes downhill from there.

I actually think that the Open Passages are a pretty good deal for us - even with all the restrictions and complications. I usually have one open and ready to use at all times.

Yes, with all the restrictions there is often a better deal that can't be combined with the Open Passages. In those cases, I take the better deal and save the OP for "next time". I think the best thing about the passages is that they are good FOREVER. So I may go two or three (or more cruises) without using the passage because I took advantage of some other promotion - but at some point, the time will come where I want to book a cruise and I can use the OP.

I think the OBC vs the cost of the OP is a pretty good return on my money - even if I have to wait a few years to use it.

All that being said - I wish all Celebrity employees were better informed on the terms and provided consistent information. Despite feeling the OP's are worth it - this is still poor customer service.

Mike

I have a "Celebrity Passages". I booked a 2 week cruise using the Captains Club Discount. It was clearly stated that the Captain's Club Discount was not combinable with "Passages" discounts.

I decided to save my Passages for another cruise and use the Captains Club Discount instead.

What I like about Passages is you only have to put a $100 p.p deposit and should you decide not to take the cruise, before final payment, you can book another cruise...Just use the same booking number.

Sorry, by FCC I mean Future Cruise Coordinator or CSM.

By T & C I mean terms and conditions.

Wow, I really hate acronyms. LOL

The post you copied was a reply to Christine Frances who said the majority of issues with the passages certificates were due to people not understanding they are already assigned a reservation number with Celebrity. That wasn't my issue at all.

I was basically just trying to state that the FCC/CSM are fudging the details of the program either accidentally, or purposefully, when they sell these onboard. People come home and cannot use them as they have been informed, and it goes downhill from there.

OK now we are getting somewhere.

Please tell me what the CSM said to you and what happened when you got home.

I have had experience with every CSM in the fleet. I can bet that there is no purposeful fudging.

However, there is a major distinction between the experienced CSM's and the newer ones. Some of the newer ones are still learning from me!!!

Also there is a vast difference in the quality of Customer Service Reps. I called with a question yesterday and I receved the reply of "I guess so."

EMIL

After you log in to My Celebrity click the link to go to Captain's Club. Under "Exclusive Offers" you will find the Savings Certificates. Hope this helps:)

It does, thank you. Too late for my current bookings but now I know about it for the future.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Larry

• 4 months later...

After some research and clarifying calls to Celebrity I believe I now understand what the “On Board Passage Program” is all about. Not to get blindsided you have to look beyond the marketing spin and delve into the T&C’s. Looks like you have to have a lawyer with you to understand all their rules. As they say the devil is in the details.

Celebrity Passages On Board Booking Program(s)

While on board a Celebrity cruise a passenger may take advantage of a Celebrity booking program that is restricted to passengers on a cruise. To activate this program requires a deposit of $100 per person ($200). At the time of making a deposit you will need to make a decision because there are two distinct versions of the Celebrity On Board Booking Program:

1. First is the Onboard Reserved Passage where you commit to and book a particular cruise (Ship – Date – Cabin Category) at the time of intial deposit

2. The second is an Open Passage Certificate (account) where you do not commit to a particular cruise at the time of deposit but you are free to book a future cruise at some future date.

Be aware that the Benefits and Restrictions are different for these two on board programs and they are:

Reserved Passage (Specific Booking)

The Reserved Passage Onboard Credit (OBC) is applied to the booking of a future cruise (Ship – Date – Cabin category) at the time of the deposit.

• The Celebrity OBC is based on length of the cruise and is assigned per stateroom not per person and is assigned to the guest who actually books the cruise.
    • 3 – 5 nights = $50/stateroom
    • 6 – 9 nights = $100/stateroom
    • 10 – 13 nights = $200/stateroom
    • 14+ nights = $300/stateroom

[*]Brochure says you get up to 3 free category up grades within the same category stateroom: This is not exactly true, see the real upgrade policy under the “Gotcha’s” comments

[*]You may use the Celebrity's Choice Air Program to book your airfares.

[*]There are no additional deposits due until final payment (75-days before cruise date)

[*]If you wish to transfer the Reserved Passage booking to a travel agent it must be done within 60-days of the actual booking.

[*]You may combine the Celebrity OBC with any of the TA’s OBC or other given TA perks.

[*]The prices you will pay for a cruise are the current Celebrity published pricing including any current promotional like the “Tuesday Exciting Deal Specials” http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

NOTE: With the Reserved Passage there are some hidden “Gotcha’s”:

• Reserved Passage Onboard Credit (OBC) prohibits converting it to an Open Passage account or to select restricted fares.
  • Reserved Passage Celebrity OBC is not combinable with any Captain’s Club or shareholder OBC or any other promotional Celebrity OBC.
  • Reserved Passage is not combinable with any Celebrity price discount offers like the Celebrity “Tuesday Specials” The price you pay for a cruise is the current Celebrity published pricing at the time of booking.
  • According to the Captain’s Club support desk: The Free Upgrades ONLY apply to Inside & Ocean View category Staterooms it does not apply to Deluxe Ocean View Veranda Staterooms and up.

Open Passage Certificate

An Open Passage Certificate (account) is where you are free to book any future cruise at some future date (Ship – Date – Cabin category)

• The future cruise (Ship – Date – Cabin category) is not requiredat the time of the deposit.

• The future cruise may be booked directly with Celebrity or booked through a travel agent of your choice.

• You may apply the value of the Open Passage Certificate against the cost of the future cruise.
  • You can use any current Celebrity promotional cruise pricing that is currently in effect at the time of booking; i.e. the so-called “Tuesday Specials”. etc.
  • The Celebrity OBC is based on length of the cruise and is assigned per stateroom not per person and is assigned to the guest who actually books the cruise.

[*]If you wish to transfer the cruise booking to a travel agent it must be done within 60-days of the actual booking

[*]You may combine the Celebrity OBC with any of the TA’s OBC or other given TA perks.

[*]There is no expiration date on an Open Passage Certificate account

[*]You may use the Celebrity's Choice Air Program to book your airfares when booking a cruise.

NOTE: With the Open Passage Certificate (account) there is some hidden “Gotcha’s”:

• The Open Passage Certificate’s $100 deposit required per person ($200) is non-refundable. (Use it or lose it)

• With the Open Passage Certificate you do not get any of the free cabin category upgrades that you get with the Reserved Passage booking.

• Open Passage Certificate (account) OBC is not combinable with any Captain’s Club or shareholder OBC or any other Celebrity promotional OBC.
  • If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual cruise (ship and sailing date), and then canceled for any reason the guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit ($200).
  • For a US resident an Open Passage Certificate is not transferable to another guest (person’s name). BUT for some reason or other a Canadian resident can transfer it to another person (strange.)
  • Only one Passage Certificate may be applied per cruise. You cannot use two Passage Certificates to try and double the Celebrity OBC per cruise.
  • An Open Passage Certificate account is ONLY valid on a Celebrity ship and no other cruise line, including any other affiliates of Celebrity.

If you wish to transfer both these program versions to a travel agent it must be done within 60-days of the actual booking.

It apparently it is very important that when you call your TA or Celebrity to book a specific cruise using an Open Passage that you use the Open Passage booking # because Celebrity will use that number to assign the OBC to the booking. What you must not do when or your TA book s cruise and then try to apply the OPEN Passage # it will not work because in effect you now have 2 booking #'s. It is very important to protect the Open Passages reservation #

After some research and clarifying calls to Celebrity I believe I now understand what the “On Board Passage Program” is all about. Not to get blindsided you have to look beyond the marketing spin and delve into the T&C’s. Looks like you have to have a lawyer with you to understand all their rules. As they say the devil is in the details.

Celebrity Passages On Board Booking Program(s)

While on board a Celebrity cruise a passenger may take advantage of a Celebrity booking program that is restricted to passengers on a cruise. To activate this program requires a deposit of $100 per person ($200). At the time of making a deposit you will need to make a decision because there are two distinct versions of the Celebrity On Board Booking Program:

1. First is the Onboard Reserved Passage where you commit to and book a particular cruise (Ship – Date – Cabin Category) at the time of intial deposit

2. The second is an Open Passage Certificate (account) where you do not commit to a particular cruise at the time of deposit but you are free to book a future cruise at some future date.

Be aware that the Benefits and Restrictions are different for these two on board programs and they are:

Reserved Passage (Specific Booking)

The Reserved Passage Onboard Credit (OBC) is applied to the booking of a future cruise (Ship – Date – Cabin category) at the time of the deposit.

[*]Brochure says you get up to 3 free category up grades within the same category stateroom: This is not exactly true, see the real upgrade policy under the “Gotcha’s” comments

[*]You may use the Celebrity's Choice Air Program to book your airfares.

[*]There are no additional deposits due until final payment (75-days before cruise date)

[*]If you wish to transfer the Reserved Passage booking to a travel agent it must be done within 60-days of the actual booking.

[*]The prices you will pay for a cruise are the current Celebrity published pricing including any current promotional like the “Tuesday Exciting Deal Specials” http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

NOTE: With the Reserved Passage there are some hidden “Gotcha’s”:

• Reserved Passage Onboard Credit (OBC) prohibits converting it to an Open Passage account or to select restricted fares.
  • Reserved Passage Celebrity OBC is not combinable with any Captain’s Club or shareholder OBC or any other promotional Celebrity OBC.
  • Reserved Passage is not combinable with any Celebrity price discount offers like the Celebrity “Tuesday Specials” The price you pay for a cruise is the current Celebrity published pricing at the time of booking.
  • According to the Captain’s Club support desk: The Free Upgrades ONLY apply to Inside & Ocean View category Staterooms it does not apply to Deluxe Ocean View Veranda Staterooms and up.

Open Passage Certificate

An Open Passage Certificate (account) is where you are free to book any future cruise at some future date (Ship – Date – Cabin category)

• The future cruise (Ship – Date – Cabin category) is not requiredat the time of the deposit.

• The future cruise may be booked directly with Celebrity or booked through a travel agent of your choice.

• You may apply the value of the Open Passage Certificate against the cost of the future cruise.
  • You can use any current Celebrity promotional cruise pricing that is currently in effect at the time of booking; i.e. the so-called “Tuesday Specials”. etc.

[*]If you wish to transfer the cruise booking to a travel agent it must be done within 60-days of the actual booking

[*]There is no expiration date on an Open Passage Certificate account

[*]You may use the Celebrity's Choice Air Program to book your airfares when booking a cruise.

NOTE: With the Open Passage Certificate (account) there is some hidden “Gotcha’s”:

• The Open Passage Certificate’s $100 deposit required per person ($200) is non-refundable. (Use it or lose it)

• With the Open Passage Certificate you do not get any of the free cabin category upgrades that you get with the Reserved Passage booking.

• Open Passage Certificate (account) OBC is not combinable with any Captain’s Club or shareholder OBC or any other Celebrity promotional OBC.
  • If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual cruise (ship and sailing date), and then canceled for any reason the guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit ($200).
  • For a US resident an Open Passage Certificate is not transferable to another guest (person’s name). BUT for some reason or other a Canadian resident can transfer it to another person (strange.)
  • Only one Passage Certificate may be applied per cruise. You cannot use two Passage Certificates to try and double the Celebrity OBC per cruise.
  • An Open Passage Certificate account is ONLY valid on a Celebrity ship and no other cruise line, including any other affiliates of Celebrity.

If you wish to transfer both these program versions to a travel agent it must be done within 60-days of the actual booking.

It apparently it is very important that when you call your TA or Celebrity to book a specific cruise using an Open Passage that you use the Open Passage booking # because Celebrity will use that number to assign the OBC to the booking. What you must not do when or your TA book s cruise and then try to apply the OPEN Passage # it will not work because in effect you now have 2 booking #'s. It is very important to protect the Open Passages reservation #

Wait, so what I just read says I can use an open passage on a Tuesday special????? I was told I could not. urrrrr,

Is there a way to verify my passages $100 OBC on Celebrity's website? I can see the reservation but I don't see anything about their OBC. Not that I see anything that says I do NOT have an OBC, just that I don't see anything. Maybe I don't know where to look.

I do have an OBC from my TA and as far as I can see, I followed all the rules. Bought the Open Passages cert on the Millennium last month and used that booking number when I booked this month. It's being used as my deposit for the cruise, which is a 7 nighter, so there should be $100 OBC from X I think.

Maybe that won't show up until final payment? I have no idea.

If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual cruise (ship and sailing date), and then canceled for any reason the guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit ($200).

That is not what we were told.

First, we only had to pay a $100.00 deposit (not $200.00)

Second, we can convert the Open Passage into a specific date (before final payment) and cancel and get our deposit refunded in full.

I only know this because after sitting with an onboard consultant who "confirmed" once we got home we could have our TA call and convert and use for a group booking we were already on in order to get $300.00 OBC, we were furious to learn that "GroupX" bookings were excluded. So I called.

We haven't used the Passage yet because if we can get a refund anytime we might as well hold onto it for now.

Where do you find these terms?

Where do you find these terms?

Jade, I got the T&C's from the Celebrity On Board Booking Program brochure (attached as a PDF file) are in the fine print at the bottom of the brochure. But to clarify some points I phoned the Captain's Club Support desk verify where I was confused or was not sure what the T&C's actually meant.

See actual form

CelebrityOnBoardBookingProgramForm.jpg[/img]

Celebrity Passages Certificate - On board booking.pdf

Archived