Confusion (among Celebrity itself) with Celebrity Passages

2SeaWithMe

I honestly think I will never purchase a Celebrity Passages certificate ever again.

Why do myself and others continually get differing answers from Celebrity about this program?

I booked two separate passages and have already used one & combined it with a Captain's Club Discount.

I'm now being told I cannot combine a Passage certificate with a CC discount and NEVER have been able to. Unfortunately for the rep, I have my passages complete with terms and conditions which are apparently completely contrary to those she holds. It also shows in their system that I was given both my last trip. The frustrating thing is that I've been emailing and waiting for reps to clarify this since my booking of our current cruise in June, and have currently been on the phone for over an hour in an effort to get this tied up.

I was actually just told by Catherine in the Captain's club that I should be grateful they are even willing to look at my terms and conditions. I asked her if she wasn't concerned that sales reps on the ships were not only giving out incorrect information, but using outdated materials, she said they have very little control over the ships.

Seriously?

When I'm on a cruise with Celebrity, generally I'm very pleased and like to return. Unfortunately speaking with those that work at headquarters make me want to slam my head against the wall.

I'm a little dumbfounded that any supervisor would actually tell me I should be grateful they were listening to my concerns.

Ohmagod! How frustrating!! That is complete crap that your terms are different then hers and you should be "greatful" she's listening to you. :confused: So ridiculous. What in the heck has happened with big-company customer service?! I just got off the phone with Continental airlines (who also has a horrible customer service department) and they also manage to contradict themselves in the course of one conversation!

Good Luck!

I have a similar problem although I suspect I just did not read close enough. We booked a passage on a cruise and then tried to use it next year on a TA. We could use it but - cannot be used to reserve a suite and cannot be used in conjunction with the AMEX Platinum card benefits (OBC, etc.). So, we opted for the AMEX benefits since it is slightly better than the celebrity passage. My concern is this - I asked the question on the ship if I could combine my AMEX Platinum Benefits with the Celebrity passages and was told I could. I did not ask about a suite but I thought they said it was good for any room. I know that on HA we got both benefits - the AMEX benefits and the HA on ship booking OBC plus we reserved a suite with that $100 - not the $900 celebrity required on the TA next year. Yep, double deposit if booking a suite. Oh well, as much as we love Celebrity, will try to do most things on HA. I hope the OP finally convinces the CS folks. Good luck.

After 90 minutes on the phone, I was finally able to speak with someone who was extremely pleasant and apologetic about the entire thing. I have a feeling that if I spoke with her initially (I've left many messages and emails since June) that it would have been a non-issue.

I was told several times that the reps do not have email and faxes take several days to receive. This rep let me email her a PDF of my Passages Certificate, and lo and behold, my terms and conditions are different. However, either they have changed the terms and conditions attached to the Captain's Club Savings Certificates, or it really was a fluke that I received both on a cruise this winter. The savings certificate's T & C reference 'promotions' and the passages certificate would be qualified as a promotion. Therefore, I get nothing, regardless of what I was told onboard.

It's disturbing to me that a number of people have been promised the world from these onboard sales representatives and there seems to be little recourse. Someone should record them.

Thanks for this information. I was planning to purchase a couple of Passages certificates when we are on Infinity the end of this month. Now will not bother. Looks like you have to have a lawyer with you to understand all their rules.

I think if you do not plan to use a CC certificate, shareholder's credit, tuesday sale, group booking, amex platinum, or even the "state" rates...than they would be beneficial to some.

However, it's not really reasonable (in my opinion) to give up all of those other benefits, which some of them you can combine, for the OBC of the passages.

I love Passages and "Open" Passages!! When I go on a cruise I almost always have an idea which cruise I want to do next and book on board. I own shares and always check for the Captains Club certificates but they are never better than booking on board. I then tsf to a TA and get more OBC. My DH reads all the fine print and we are aware of the limitations ahead of time. One of the best things about Passages is that you can book cruises while onboard with all the sames perks for friends who are not sailing with you!! While on the Millie I booked 3 other couples on the Infinity to sail with us in Feb and they all got the 3 cat upgrade, $100 pp deposit and $300 OBC. We all tsfd to a TA and got another $250 OBC. Whats not to like!

I love Passages and "Open" Passages!! When I go on a cruise I almost always have an idea which cruise I want to do next and book on board. I own shares and always check for the Captains Club certificates but they are never better than booking on board. I then tsf to a TA and get more OBC. My DH reads all the fine print and we are aware of the limitations ahead of time. One of the best things about Passages is that you can book cruises while onboard with all the sames perks for friends who are not sailing with you!! While on the Millie I booked 3 other couples on the Infinity to sail with us in Feb and they all got the 3 cat upgrade, $100 pp deposit and $300 OBC. We all tsfd to a TA and got another $250 OBC. Whats not to like!

I am new to cruising and still learning about all the fine print. Why do you have to use Passages to book a future cruise on board? If you know which cruise you want to take, why not just book it on board, get the perks and then transfer it to the TA? What does Passages have to do with getting those perks?

Thanks,

Larry

Did you read my OP?? Just curious, since I posted about the fine print being incorrect on my cert and the sales associate lying about what's included. I guess that sums up, for myself, what is 'not to like' about the program.

I am new to cruising and still learning about all the fine print. Why do you have to use Passages to book a future cruise on board? If you know which cruise you want to take, why not just book it on board, get the perks and then transfer it to the TA? What does Passages have to do with getting those perks?

Thanks,

Larry

You are completely correct. If you know the cruises you want to take just book on board. There are no need for Passages. Passages are open bookings to be used at a later date at home.

The post you are referring to confused me as well. We need some clarification from Ms. Frances. If she were on board and booked for her friends and herself there was no need to use passages. In one sentence she says it is great to use passages and then says she booked for her friends on Board. Also, if she used Passages there would be no 3 Cat. upgrade allowed.

EMIL

Hi,

What do you mean when you say that a great thing about Passages is that you can book while onboard with same perks....?

If you were onboard you didn't use Passages, did you?

Thanks.

EMIL

Hi,

What do you mean when you say that a great thing about Passages is that you can book while onboard with same perks....?

If you were onboard you didn't use Passages, did you?

Thanks.

EMIL

The way I understood it, was that Passages had 2 components

1) Passages - book a specific cruise and get 3 cat upgrade, $100 pp deposit and OBC depending on the length of the cruise

2) Open Passages - purchase a booking # for a future cruise (to be determined at a later date), $100 pp deposit and OBC depending on the length of the cruise.

I used my "open" passages (that I purchased on the Millie) last month to book the Silhouette TA next year.

The $300 OBC (15 nights) is much better than what the Shareholder or Captains Club OBC is.

Did that help:) Sorry if I didn't explain it right!

The way I understood it, was that Passages had 2 components

1) Passages - book a specific cruise and get 3 cat upgrade, $100 pp deposit and OBC depending on the length of the cruise

2) Open Passages - purchase a booking # for a future cruise (to be determined at a later date), $100 pp deposit and OBC depending on the length of the cruise.

I used my "open" passages (that I purchased on the Millie) last month to book the Silhouette TA next year.

The $300 OBC (15 nights) is much better than what the Shareholder or Captains Club OBC is.

Did that help:) Sorry if I didn't explain it right!

AH!!!!!

My apologies. You are using proper X terminology. What we tend to call an On Board Booking is what X calls a Passage. The Open Passage is just what you said it is.

When I hear or speak about Passages I am always referring to an Open Passage. I am sure this causes much confusion and wish X would change their terminology as the two phrases are too similar.

I'm sorry again. Have we ever met?

If not hope we sail together soon.

Happy cruising.

EMIL

What did the "fine print" say that was incorrect? Mine states "Your Celebrity cannot be used for cruises chartered by third parties and may not be used for certain customized group programs (ie value add groups) and may not be combinable with certain restricted or promotional fares.

That is what my coupon states. She read me a T & C which also states that it is not able to be combined with special offers, including coupons, savings certificates, or restricted pricing specials.

as a starter, we are living outside the u.s...

the celebrity website experience / info is quite inconsistent to us and so turns out the "open passage" as well. were it not for the excellent cruises we have enjoyed, and knowing that the next one likely will be awesome again, i'd probably be looking elsewhere, it's sooo bad..

we had booked an "open passage certificate" during our last cruise, thinking this would be a good idea for loyal cruisers, and as an incentive to fellow friends to maybe join us for their first cruise or so.

i wouldn't do it again... too many hassles for too little value.

- not bookable through the website.

- no way to apply to a booking after reserving through the website.

- not combinable with other past cruiser discounts, promotions etc...

- they didn't even get the phone number for the german office right on the certificate (the only way it would even be possible to book)

- german number only available mon-fri during office hours...

- a quick call to the u.s. phone number, which is staffed at much more convenient times for us (like evenings and weekends) is not able to help "as the booking belongs to germany, we cannot even access it if we wanted...". talk about celebrity as one company... left hand doesn't appear to know what the right hand is doing.

- while the pricing/exchange rate in their system wasn't that poor with previous cruises, in this case it was simply a rip-off by wanting in the order of 30%+ more than people paying in USD... i can see that there would always be some difference and know lots about e.g. airline pricing systems, but this is something else and didn't go down well with me.

we don't need the special language treatment, so the "open passage" turned out to be more like a "locked and closed hassling passage" to us *G*

essentially all they achieved by "binding" us to go through a german office via phone was having us comparing pricing more intensely and sourcing an alternate route to book via a U.S. based T.A. (although not the easiest to find, it is possible, legal and extremely worth it, including things like OBC!)

considering how straightforward the rental car companies employ discount codes on their websites, celebrity has miles to go...

i don't want this to turn into a pricing debate regarding bookings from abroad, but to use caution with the "open passages" "deal". even more so, if you're not their standard u.s. customer, which by the content of this thread, they already have troubles to keep up with.

rgds,

cavok

i don't want this to turn into a pricing debate regarding bookings from abroad, but to use caution with the "open passages" "deal". even more so, if you're not their standard u.s. customer, which by the content of this thread, they already have troubles to keep up with.

rgds,

cavok

Thanks for your input, Cavok. I echo your sentiments on how much I enjoy a Celebrity cruise but it's often overshadowed by the service/management stateside. It's certainly frustrating.

I think part of the confusion is because people do not understand that the booking/account number on their Open Passages is their reservation #. When you call your TA or X to book a specific cruise using your Open Passage that is the booking # they will use and the OBC etc will then automatically go with it. When you book your own cruise and then try to apply the passages it will not work because in effect you now have 2 booking #'s. It is very important to protect the Passages reservation # - if after booking a cruise you need to make changes, do not cancel but transfer to another cruise in order to keep it current.

It's too bad that there doesn't seem to be some sort of Q & A sheet given out when purchasing this product. I have to say that we had a very good FCC when we were on the Millie and everything was explained correctly.

That is what my coupon states. She read me a T & C which also states that it is not able to be combined with special offers, including coupons, savings certificates, or restricted pricing specials.

I think it is the Captain's Club Saving Certificate which has the most restrictive conditions and that is why I never use it. It can't be combined with anything.

Captain's Club Savings Certificate

Savings are in U.S. dollars, are not redeemable for cash, and not transferable. Only valid on new booking. When booking, please reference the applicable option code. Offer may be withdrawn at any time. Discount offer will not be replaced if lost, stolen, or otherwise destroyed. THE OFFER CANNOT BE USED WITH CERTAIN RESTRICTED FARES OR ON CRUISES ON BOARD CHARTERED SAILINGS. This certificate cannot be combined with another certificate on the same booking. Applies only to outside and above categories (Cat. 8 and above). Subject to availability. Offer is not combinable with any other promotion or offer. Celebrity Cruises® will deduct the applicable offer value from final payment upon review. Certificate must be submitted to Celebrity Cruises PRIOR TO FINAL PAYMENT. Discount applies on a per-stateroom basis, double occupancy. Singles paying 200% are entitled to full face value. Prices vary by ship and sailing dates, and space is subject to availability at time of booking. When booking through a travel agency, the certificate must be presented to the travel agent at time of booking. Certificate must be submitted at time of final payment. Travel agent commission is based on discounted price.

I think part of the confusion is because people do not understand that the booking/account number on their Open Passages is their reservation #. When you call your TA or X to book a specific cruise using your Open Passage that is the booking # they will use and the OBC etc will then automatically go with it. When you book your own cruise and then try to apply the passages it will not work because in effect you now have 2 booking #'s. It is very important to protect the Passages reservation # - if after booking a cruise you need to make changes, do not cancel but transfer to another cruise in order to keep it current.

It's too bad that there doesn't seem to be some sort of Q & A sheet given out when purchasing this product. I have to say that we had a very good FCC when we were on the Millie and everything was explained correctly.

I would advise everyone to listen carefully to Ms. Frances.

She knows what she is talking about and should create the Q & A sheet!!!!

EMIL

I think it is the Captain's Club Saving Certificate which has the most restrictive conditions and that is why I never use it. It can't be combined with anything.

Captain's Club Savings Certificate

Savings are in U.S. dollars, are not redeemable for cash, and not transferable. Only valid on new booking. When booking, please reference the applicable option code. Offer may be withdrawn at any time. Discount offer will not be replaced if lost, stolen, or otherwise destroyed. THE OFFER CANNOT BE USED WITH CERTAIN RESTRICTED FARES OR ON CRUISES ON BOARD CHARTERED SAILINGS. This certificate cannot be combined with another certificate on the same booking. Applies only to outside and above categories (Cat. 8 and above). Subject to availability. Offer is not combinable with any other promotion or offer. Celebrity Cruises® will deduct the applicable offer value from final payment upon review. Certificate must be submitted to Celebrity Cruises PRIOR TO FINAL PAYMENT. Discount applies on a per-stateroom basis, double occupancy. Singles paying 200% are entitled to full face value. Prices vary by ship and sailing dates, and space is subject to availability at time of booking. When booking through a travel agency, the certificate must be presented to the travel agent at time of booking. Certificate must be submitted at time of final payment. Travel agent commission is based on discounted price.

I believe the Captain's Club Certificates are virtually useless under current conditions.

They are NOT combinable with OBC from on board bookings, OBC from using Passages, or OBC from using the Shareholder benefit.

In past years we used to go to town as everything was combinable but this is true no longer.

Off the top of my head I can think of only one scenario where they would be useful.

If you are booking from home and you have no passages to use and you are not a stockholder the CC Certificates are your last resort.

EMIL

Christine,

Where does one obtain this Captain's Club Savings Certificate? This is the first I have heard on it. I know that during July 2011, Celebrity was offering special discounts for new bookings to Captain's Club Members. Is that what you are referencing?

Larry

The passages promotion is a good idea for those who are certain of their cruise choice & book on board to get both the upgrades & the OBCs;).

What we don't like is that Celebrity has been droping prices after final payment ,for "New Bookings Only" :o . Here is a great example of how the passages works against you .We booked early on for 3 cruises B2B2B . We monitor the cruise pricing on a on line web site ;which sends e-mails when the cruise line drops the price (the same day) . We saved over $1600 with e-mails ;because we got the price reductions before final payment:D. However, our Panama Canal cruise was droped 40% after final payment & all we could get was a small upgrade from Veranda 2A to Concierge C3 :o.

The foregoing example is why we will no longer book any Celebrity cruise until after final payment. There are just too many downsides to book early in the booking process. Open passages can still be used after final payment:D.

Archived