Panama canal & Locks transit by boat

Mrs. Wilburforce

I posted this by mistake over at RCI...terribly embarrassing.

Has anyone taken this excursion? Was anyone disappointed with it? Are you able to move about the boat and what is the best viewing area?

I'm really looking forward to this excursion as I have always been fascinated by the canal. I come from a family of engineers, so they are counting on good pictures, video, and a good recounting of my experience!

Thanks in advance.

We took the 15 day full transit cruise last December on the Island Princess.

Yes, you can move about the ship and you really should. Photos from the bow as you approach the locks. Find the door out to the front on deck 11.

The lower deck while going up and down in the lock with only two feet of clearance from the side of the ship.

Then from the stern as you depart the locks.

While we were going through Canal work was being done on the new locks.

The work crews were really going at it. Everything from trucks hauling away rocks to barges doing the same.

We had light rain, but still were able to obtain some great photos.

You have a really great cruise to look forward to.

Bob

Thank you, Bob. I'm blowing my budget on this excursion so I will have to make some cuts in other ways but to me it is worth it. I will have my rain gear, water proof video camera and umbrella, so I'm prepared!

Last January Hubby and I cruised the eastern Carribean and never felt a drop of rain. I figure it'll rain.

Thanks again:)

I don't think you will be disappointed one bit, even though as you pointed out the excursion is wee pricey. If you don't have the time to do a complete transit of the Canal, combining your partial transit on the IP and then the partial transit by ferry is a great way to see the Canal. In fact allows you to see things from a large ship and then the smaller ferry, a wonderful comparison.

Normally that period in December when you are scheduled to go is a great time to as it is almost Dry Season in Panama. I do want to stress, "normally" because last year at that time they had some record breaking rains:eek:! I am sure you will make your engineer family absolutely green with jealousy:D!

I took a very similar excursion when I was on my honeymoon (it was a Royal Caribbean ship).

We liked that we went through the locks on a smaller ferry rather than on the cruise ship because we were able to reach out and actually touch the sides of the canal. It was easier to see and feel the downward movement on the ferry. We felt more connected to the experience.

I don't think you will be disappointed one bit, even though as you pointed out the excursion is wee pricey. If you don't have the time to do a complete transit of the Canal, combining your partial transit on the IP and then the partial transit by ferry is a great way to see the Canal. In fact allows you to see things from a large ship and then the smaller ferry, a wonderful comparison.

Normally that period in December when you are scheduled to go is a great time to as it is almost Dry Season in Panama. I do want to stress, "normally" because last year at that time they had some record breaking rains:eek:! I am sure you will make your engineer family absolutely green with jealousy:D!

Hi Lee,

This is the first time I've ever been really excited about an excursion. I'm one

of those "ship is the destination" people, so I'm cutting my budget in other

areas.

It would be nice if it turned out to be sunny and dry but I'm prepared. I didn't know that there ever was a dry season in Panama, so good info!

I wish my late father were here. He'd be going with me. As for my son and his wife (also both engineers) they're still young :)

Thanks for your response!

I took a very similar excursion when I was on my honeymoon (it was a Royal Caribbean ship).

We liked that we went through the locks on a smaller ferry rather than on the cruise ship because we were able to reach out and actually touch the sides of the canal. It was easier to see and feel the downward movement on the ferry. We felt more connected to the experience.

Reaching out and touching the canal walls...that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Sounds very cool and it looks as if it's sold out, so I'm glad I signed up early :)

Many thanks.

DSC03595-1.jpg

There are the walls behind me. I am touching it with my pinkie in this picture. Warning: The walls are slimy :)

We also had a local guide on the ferry with us, he gave us a very non-American perspective of the Canal and it's history. It's nice to hear about a local perspective. Even though it's an expensive tour it was well worth it in our book.

DSC03595-1.jpg

There are the walls behind me. I am touching it with my pinkie in this picture. Warning: The walls are slimy :)

We also had a local guide on the ferry with us, he gave us a very non-American perspective of the Canal and it's history. It's nice to hear about a local perspective. Even though it's an expensive tour it was well worth it in our book.

I'm reading "Panama Fever. The Epic Story of the Building of the Canal". It presents the French, Columbian, Nicaragua, Jamaican, and Dominican Republic POV.

This is a stunning picture! I can't wait to tell the ladies I'm traveling with to join this site and have a look. Thank you so much for sharing :)

In my mind a 14 day cruise is always better than a 10 day, of course this is coming from someone who loves sea days. The last two complete transits that we made were both 14 day trips and the longest time at sea in between ports was only two days. From what I have seen, this may not be the case as many of the cruise lines are either skipping Mexico all together or at best only offering one stop in Mexico. This may make for a big chunk of sea days for some folks and I understand that. I am guessing the 10 day cruise is a partial transit as I believe Princess is no longer offering the 10 day full transit cruise this year. Likewise I am assuming that the 14 day is a complete transit. So with those two assumptions I would pick the 14 day because I think that is the best cruise to see the Canal, a complete transit from one side to the other. If you could book one of the cruises that offers a full day in Panama either before or after your transit, that would be perfect. If you do opt for the 10 day partial transit that is still a great cruise in any event. Enjoy!

I agree that I think it depends on how you feel about sea days. I was originally going to go on the 15 day QV (only 4 port days) but wound up on the 10 day Princess (5 port days). I'm a sea day person, but this cruise is to celebrate my sister's birthday and she doesn't enjoy too many sea days in succession.

If the itinerary has enough ports, it might be the perfect cruise for the port day person vs sea day person. Everyone gets what they want and you get to cruise for 2 weeks :) It sounds like a wonderful dilemma :)

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

We will be leaving on the Island Princess on Monday and have this same excursion booked for Saturday. If I get a chance, I will try to post something after we re-board the ship. If not, I'll give you a review after we return home on the 20th.

Joe

I hope you're having a great time and will be checking back. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from the same cruise as CP (although he missed the Meet and Greet, grr :) ) -

We did the small boat transit and I have to recommend it, but not superenthustiastically.

Its definitely a different perspective from the smaller ship, you do really get a feel for how the locks work and the history and so on, more so than on the bigger ship. The Pacific locks are also different from the atlantic side and seeing the construction and maintenance processes for the locks is fascinating. If seeing the canal is your reason for the trip, you really want to take this tour.

That said, there are a few negatives. The first one is, its a LONG tour in what could be very high temperatures and humidity (they have bottled water on the boat and sodas and they sell beer). Honestly, by the third lock, most people had a bit of a been there done that attitude. The bus ride back is not particularly exciting either although the guide did his best.

The second one is the food on the big ship is a lot better :)

The third is that its a fairly costly excursion.

With those in mind, my recommendation is still to go on the smaller boat. But I can't jump around and rave its the best excursion I have ever done!

I booked this, but now am having second thoughts. Sadly, I am motion-impaired, meaning I have to take Bonine daily while cruising. I am that person. You know, the one who can get car sick in the front passenger seat on a winding road, can't read in a moving vehicle, gets nauseous snorkeling in wavelets, etc. etc. :(

The mention of the wildly bobbing small boat going through the locks with no means of escape, in very possibly hot & humid conditions, has put this idea on the skids. My DH, saint though he is, does not deserve this fate. For that matter, neither do my fellow travellers. :eek:

I'll read your reviews, I'll read the book, but I ain't getting off the Island. ;)

Sad but keenly aware of her limitations,

Seastheday

• 1 month later...
I booked this, but now am having second thoughts. Sadly, I am motion-impaired, meaning I have to take Bonine daily while cruising. I am that person. You know, the one who can get car sick in the front passenger seat on a winding road, can't read in a moving vehicle, gets nauseous snorkeling in wavelets, etc. etc. :(

The mention of the wildly bobbing small boat going through the locks with no means of escape, in very possibly hot & humid conditions, has put this idea on the skids. My DH, saint though he is, does not deserve this fate. For that matter, neither do my fellow travellers. :eek:

I'll read your reviews, I'll read the book, but I ain't getting off the Island. ;)

Sad but keenly aware of her limitations,

Seastheday

Is this "small boat" you are referring to the same as the Ferry that does the Canal Experience? I also have motion problems - is the ferry really rocky?

Thanks.

There really are no waves inside the locks. They close the doors at the ends and it's protected by the wind so really no waves. Outside the locks there may be boat wakes but since the canal is so narrow it is extremely rare for the wind to make waves any bigger than a ripple.

I will say that after getting out of the Pacific locks, the smaller boat got bounced around quite a bit on the way to the dock, but also the weather was particularly cruddy that day.

Is this "small boat" you are referring to the same as the Ferry that does the Canal Experience? I also have motion problems - is the ferry really rocky?

Thanks.

Archived