Cave tubing

Blind Squirrel

I'm not an expert, but when we went last month I got the very strong impression that all of the cave tubing companies go to the same place, which is a national park. I think the only difference might be where they put in. I think most companies do two caves, but if you only did one cave then it might be a shorter walk (and a shorter float).

The parking area is very close to where the float ends, so the walking is really only at the beginning when you have to walk to where you start the float. Even though it may be 30-45 minutes (going at a slow pace with quite a few stops), it is not very difficult. Many different fitness levels and ages were able to do it. It is relatively flat. I am personally in poor shape and the only part that bothered me was carrying my tube. Just had to keep switching arms. About the time the hike is starting to seem long (and the guide says "only five more miles" :D) you are there. Then as you float down the refreshing river through the amazing caves you forget all about the hike. :cool:

All the tubing companies go to the same place.

There are only 2 entries into the water to tube down (once you've done the hike). What was explained to us is...they use to consider it "3 caves" that you could go in. If you took the first exit, it was consider 2 cave, you take the last exit, it was considered 3 caves. However, due to the "description of a cave" (which has to do with how many openings there is in them) they can only really be called 2 caves instead of 3.

So, they let you decide if you want to get in at the first entrance or second. Just remember, if you get in at the first, you do miss a lot of stuff along the way (they stop and show you tons of things in the rain forest and tell you what it is used for and the history).

These companies will go at YOUR pace. My daughter was 3 and isn't exactly a "fast" walker plus there were elderly people in the group (I'm guessing in their 70's and had a cane) and they will go slow and wait for you.

However, they stop so often to show you neat little things (like the tree they get ink for money at, plants you eat to hydrate you, eating termites-yes termites, holding a tarantula, trees that are 10x worse than poison ivy and its "cure" that always grows 10 feet from it...and really neat things like this). Since they are stopping so often, you have plenty of time to rest and it makes the trip enjoyable and a nice walk. :)

Archived