Passport applications...differences in processing times FYI

Just an FYI.

My wife and I applied for passports recently. I made my application the last day before the price hike (March 7) at a local community college passport application office.

My wife made her application the day of the price hike at a major NYC post office.

Her passport came back within 10 days. I'm still waiting for mine. Both went to the same processing center (Portsmouth, NH).

So, mine's already been "in process" two weeks longer than hers.

Now, of course, I have no idea how often the college office forwards their applications, but I would hope there were requirements they had to follow in getting them to the processing center in a timely manner.

The main post office in Manhattan probably has a beeline for these things.

Anyway, the cruise isn't until May, and passports aren't even really necessary there, so I'm not concerned. But it just goes to show how different the times can be for processing. (I did email the Passport processing center via the email page on the government website, and they did acknowledge having receipt of my application. The form letter suggests forking over an extra $60 for expedited service. I will not be taking them up on that offer.)

My husband and I and our 2 children applied for passports on March 5th. About 2-1/2 weeks later, the processing fee check cleared the bank. It'll be 4 weeks today and we're still waiting. They did say it would take at least 5 weeks but I thought that since the checks were cashed we would have received them any day.

So... we're still waiting too. :o

My husband and I and our 2 children applied for passports on March 5th. About 2-1/2 weeks later, the processing fee check cleared the bank. It'll be 4 weeks today and we're still waiting. They did say it would take at least 5 weeks but I thought that since the checks were cashed we would have received them any day.

So... we're still waiting too. :o

Ditto here. I am renewing mine, and the check cleared on the 15th of March, still waiting.

I renewed ours and sent them to the National Passport Center. I mailed them about 3 or 4 days before the price increase they arrived this week. I think Thursday or Wednesday. In other words it took just about 4 weeks. Our friends that travel with us mailed them at about the same time and they got theirs 1 day before we did and we live in the same town.

jc

Doesn't matter when the check clears, that is one of the first things they do. To make sure they get their money.

New passports after the rate hike are supposed to have a "Security feature to them" Could be why those are coming back sooner. Could be who ever is verifying your documentation took vacation for Easter and wasn't there to finish yours. Who knows.

Have a great trip everyone.

We took our 2 boys for theirs on March 4th. Checks cleared on March 9th. We received 1 DS's back on 3/28. He is a newborn so we had his picture taken @ the local supermarket photo dept. Well I called yesterday to find out where other DS's is; I was told that they sent me a letter out last Wed. 3/30 regarding his picture- We need to have a new pic taken. We had his pic taken @ the post office. So now we have to pay for another pic-I will take him to the supermarket photo dept. also. We paid $15 for the older son @ post office, then paid $7.99 @ supermarket for digital pic. The lady taking pic's @ post office said she doesn't take pics of babies because they have to take too many shots! LOL anyway I am lucky that we don't need them right away. My sister is marrting an Englishman this summer that was rhe reasoning behind their passports. Also taking 3 yr. old on Disney cruise for his 4th bday- so we'll get some use out of them!:)

Applied the day of the increase (March 8) and received today - April 2nd. The wife applied March 7th and has not received hers yet. Mine came from the Houston office.

I missed the deadline for the increase due to work and could not get off to go with the wife on March 7th. Had to pay the increased rate.

My bro and I renewed ours Feb 6 (bc his day off and we were just lounging around the house, it needed to be done) so we got out of the whole price hike... anyway, it took 2 weeks and 4 days to get back to us.

Have a friend though, needs theirs by mid May but can't get appt w post office agent til mid April, think they'll get it back in time? Sounds like the price hike makes things take longer.

We and they have to do it in person bc we were "underage" of our last passport inssuance, and now these guys are both minors.

My bro and I renewed ours Feb 6 (bc his day off and we were just lounging around the house, it needed to be done) so we got out of the whole price hike... anyway, it took 2 weeks and 4 days to get back to us.

Have a friend though, needs theirs by mid May but can't get appt w post office agent til mid April, think they'll get it back in time? Sounds like the price hike makes things take longer.

We and they have to do it in person bc we were "underage" of our last passport inssuance, and now these guys are both minors.

I'd definitely recommend that your friend pay for expedited service. I got mine expedited and had it within 12 days. Otherwise, you never know.

I took my app to the post office on Feb 22, had it back within 2-3 weeks. DH & DS took theirs to the local title bureau on March 3. I called last week to see where they were and according to the passport place they did not recieve thier apps till March 17. I have no clue if the title bureau held it till they got a bunch or what. Doesn't really matter, we won't need it till next March, but it makes you wonder. I know I wouldn't use their services again, the lady was so snotty because we brought our own pictures that were taken at a photo place. She said that since we didn't use THIER pictures she woudn't promise us that they would accept them. Oh well, live and learn I guess!:D

I applied for mine on Feb. 24th and my DH on March 1st, both at the courthouse, the only place you can apply near where we live! We both recieved our March 24th, mine processed in SC and his from Philadelphia. About 2 weeks sooner than they told us to expect them!!

Our son applied for a passport on March 4th and he just received it on April 1st. The weird thing is my wife and I applied for one in Dec last year and the processing office on the passport was in Charleston SC and my son's was in Chicago. All three originated from our Courthouse (IL).

I wonder if they redistricted some of the States for processing?

Archived