Kenai Fjords tour question

vhord

On one of the other boards http://boards.independenttraveler.com/showthread.php?t=109 the following statement was made:

"Seward is a fishing town and has the fjords tours that use to be cool, but now for the money, I wouldn't suggest them, they cant get close to any of the marine wildlife any more...to many restirctions."

I have already booked this tour and looking forward to it but is there any truth to this and if so how much has this affected this tour?:mad:

A Kenai Fjords boat tour is my TOP pick for Seward. I have taken these boat tours over 10+++ times, just excellent. Only you can decide if you want to consider a 2 year old single post, or the consistant raves from the well traveled posters on this board.

We are taking the 6 hour National Park Tour (11:30am to 5:30pm)

http://www.alaskaheritagetours.com/543.cfm . Depending on what time your ship departs you may have enough time. Ours does not depart until 9 pm that evening. I understand that Kenai Fjords Tours will pick you up at the train depot in Seward and store your luggage while the tour is going.

The train doesn't arrive in Seward until 11:05, so you would be cutting it close. I wonder if they have a shorter tour that leaves later to give you a taste and then you can board the ship withoout worry.

We did the Kenai Fjords tour in 2001 as a post-trip excursion after we disembarked in Seward. I realize that things may have changed in the four years since, but it was by far the best excursion we did on that cruise. We did the excursion in Auke Bay in Juneau, which was very good, but be saw more wildlife including whales, on the Kenai Fjords excursion.

In 2002 we did the Kenai Fjord tour in Seward (the longest one they offered, to Northwest Glacier). Not only did we see more wildlife than I had ever imagined (sea lions, otters, seals, puffins and all kinds of other birds, orcas etc), to top it off, the orcas swam RIGHT UNDER THE BOAT. One of the tour employees told us that they cannot closely approach the orcas, but if the orcas decide to come over and check out the boat that's up to them! the Kenai Fjords tour was the highlight of our entire trip.

The train doesn't arrive in Seward until 11:05, so you would be cutting it close. I wonder if they have a shorter tour that leaves later to give you a taste and then you can board the ship withoout worry.

This is NOT an issue, Kenai Fjords tours takes PLENTY of train passengers on their 11:30am tour. They have in the past, picked up passengers at the station, but is an easy walk - if you pack light. Inquire directly what their current shuttle information is. They will store your bags for you at their office, then after the tour- just cab to the ship. I never recommend any shorter tour.

Well, I know Kenai Fjords Tours does their 6 hr tour at 11:30, and they will pick you up at train station and store your luggage for you if needed. But I think you need an advanced reservation so they know you are coming.

Archived