Just Back:Viking Prestige Budapest to Nuremberg

Big Al B.

We just returned from this cruise and I must say that I don't really have anything to complain about. The ship is new and in beautiful shape. The cabins (we were in 234) are roomy enough and I enjoyed the table and chairs right at the window. Food and service were excellent. Our tour director Hans was very knowledgeable and helpful.

The only glitch we had was that a group of passengers who had opted to spend extra time in Passau had to be bussed to meet us since the low water level forced the ship to leave there earlier. They wound up having a very long day since we were late getting to the dock where they were waiting. Everything was handled very nicely though.

I'd be glad to try and answer any questions.

Thanks for the informative review, Big Al B. My husband and I are on the Prestige on Dec 10th, doing the reversed trip. This is our first river cruise and we were curious about the beverage program on board. Can we prepay a soft drink/wine card like some of the cruise ships or have the drinks put on our tab as you go? Can we purchase a local bottle of wine and have it servered with supper or just keep it in our cabin? Are any of the extra tours a "must see"? Thanks.:)

They do have a prepaid plan (see here: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/pdfs/2011silverspirits.pdf), but you get wine (red or white) with your dinner each night. They were very good about filling our glasses. I think you could buy a bottle of wine in town and keep it in your room, but if you wanted it in the dining room, there might be a corkage fee. We didn't purchase the package.

The only extra cost tour we did was the World War II one in Nurnberg and we found it to be interesting. It was in place of the free one and a bit longer. I didn't really hear anything bad about any of the others (Schoenbrunn Palace, Classical Music, and the Danube Gorge/Abbey trip).

I emailed them through their website and they sent me an attachment with information about the cruise. It listed the optional excursions, but there was no price or description. One of the listed excursions, Open Air Bavarian Museum, was not offered on our cruise. There was a bit more detailed explanation and an approximate cost given in our final documentation. You have to wait until you are on board to actually sign up for the optionals. They will give you a form when you check in.

Big Al: Thanks for your insightful post, I can see from your past travels that you are an experienced world cruiser. We are scheduled to cruise on the Prestige in November and were also wondering about water problems. You definitely put us at ease. We are history buffs and wondered if there is anything on your trip that you would recommend we don't miss. :)

We'll also be on Prestige in Nov, going Nuremberg to Budapest. I'm curious for the evenings in Vienna and Budapest - If you don't do a ship's tour, such as concert in Vienna, do most folks just stay on the ship or do they go out into town on their own in the evening?

jhrowan, there is a lot of history in the included tours. We opted for the WWII tour of Nuremburg instead of the included. It is a bit longer and makes stops at the documentation center and the courtroom. We were glad we did the tour.

CasaM, our flights were delayed so we got into Budapest late the free night and didn't go anywhere. I got the impression that most people just stayed on the boat. There were a number who had gotten into the city early and stayed a night or two in a hotel. In Vienna, it appeared that most of the people who didn't go on the Concert optional were back on the ship by supper and then just stayed. The fact that it was a Sunday might have had something to do with it also.

We are considering this cruise. Last month they had a 2 for 1 and discounted air special for 2012 bookings; they ran it again this month. I am wondering if it will be run yet another month. It is tough for me to drop thousands a year in advance. I like ocean cruising because I don't have to do that. I do understand that the huge difference in cabin numbers probably accounts for the differences in pay policy. Any thoughts on doing air through them?

If I remember correctly, they ran the 2 for 1 price all year. Every deadline would come up and they would extend it. I'm not sure if the air fare deal stayed.

We used their air, but paid extra for deviation because we rented a car for a week and toured for a week, leaving from Nuremberg. I do remember they told our TA they couldn't guarantee that all four of us (2 couples) would travel together on the regular deal. Also when we took the deviation, they would not provide transfer from the ship to the airport, even though we were picking up our car there and were leaving with everyone else. I felt that was kind of cheap in that we paid extra for the deviation and got less.

Debating between Avalon and Viking. Also debating between this itinerary and Russia. Did you think the trip was interesting enough. How was the food and was the dining room open between meals to get snacks?

Avalon uses memory foam on their beds. Any way you knew if Viking uses it. (I have chemical allergies and can't tolerate it. Thanks Author 1

If I remember correctly, they ran the 2 for 1 price all year. Every deadline would come up and they would extend it. I'm not sure if the air fare deal stayed.

We used their air, but paid extra for deviation because we rented a car for a week and toured for a week, leaving from Nuremberg. I do remember they told our TA they couldn't guarantee that all four of us (2 couples) would travel together on the regular deal. Also when we took the deviation, they would not provide transfer from the ship to the airport, even though we were picking up our car there and were leaving with everyone else. I felt that was kind of cheap in that we paid extra for the deviation and got less.

Dear Big Al B,

Welcome home! We are happy to hear you had a good time aboard our newest ship, Viking Prestige. The fact that you thought the service and food were excellent and the ship beautiful makes all of us in the Viking family very proud. We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience with your transfer; please email us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com so we can discuss it with you in greater detail.

Warm regards,

Viking River Cruises

Author1, I felt the itinerary was easily interesting enough. Good mix of history, shopping, and scenery. I don't think the beds on Viking were memory foam. They were very comfortable and big enough (I'm 6'3", over 200 lbs).

We did a Holland-Belgian cruise on Avalon earlier this year and to be honest, I'd have no trouble whatsoever recommending either of the two lines.

Viking, I sent you an email. Thanks.

I regularly get the "2 for 1" literature... but look closely at the prices. Their "2 for 1" price is usually right in line with what other lines charge without a sale.

I still look - but wouldn't be in a hurry to jump at the "sale" --> it never seems to end.

I also look at their air - and can usually get my own air to the same destination for around the same price as they advertise.

Fran

I just had a very satisfying contact with the folks at Viking concerning what I had posted. For my part, I was very happy with their response and was impressed that they picked up my comment and acted on it from these forums. Good way to keep a customer!

I think it's always a good idea to double-check the air deal. In our case, Viking was better than we could have gotten on our own. I would also strongly recommend arriving a day early. Missed connections seem to be just too common anymore. We missed ours and had to wait for our Budapest connection for over three hours. Luckily the boat overnighted in Budapest so we were all right. We just missed our free afternoon in the city.

I regularly get the "2 for 1" literature... but look closely at the prices. Their "2 for 1" price is usually right in line with what other lines charge without a sale.

I still look - but wouldn't be in a hurry to jump at the "sale" --> it never seems to end.

I also look at their air - and can usually get my own air to the same destination for around the same price as they advertise.

Fran

Thanks

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from this cruise and I must say that I don't really have anything to complain about. The ship is new and in beautiful shape. The cabins (we were in 234) are roomy enough and I enjoyed the table and chairs right at the window. Food and service were excellent. Our tour director Hans was very knowledgeable and helpful.

The only glitch we had was that a group of passengers who had opted to spend extra time in Passau had to be bussed to meet us since the low water level forced the ship to leave there earlier. They wound up having a very long day since we were late getting to the dock where they were waiting. Everything was handled very nicely though.

I'd be glad to try and answer any questions.

Hello Big Al B.---we will be on Viking Prestige next August Budapest to Amsterdam. We are experienced cruisers on big ships, but this will be our first river cruise. I would appreciate a review and any hints you can give. We hope to start with 2 days in Prague, but not sure how to get to Budapest. Viking's charge for the pre-cruise just seems to be too expensive. I noticed that you did only one extra excursion. Did you enjoy all of the other excursions? What about laundry...are there any options for it on the boat as our cruise is two weeks? Describe the cabins...are there enough drawers, closet space, etc. Does the crew speak fluent English?

Thank you.....NJ Gal

NJGal, I submitted a review for the member review section but it hasn't been put on the site yet. I'll try to answer your questions here.

We took the WWII Nuremberg optional because of our interest in the history. We skipped the Shonbrunn Palace and the Evening Concert ones in Vienna. We opted to go on our own that afternoon in Vienna (did the carriage ride and walked around), and were not all that interested in the music. Those that we talked to that went enjoyed both of them. We also skipped the Danube Gorge/Weltenburg Abbey one. Again, those that went seemed to like it. I'd guess that about 3/4 of the people went to the concert, and about 1/2 did the Abbey tour. Cost if I remember was 40-50 euros per person.

There is laundry service onboard, but as in ocean cruises, it's not that cheap. We were renting a car and touring Bavaria the week after the cruise and didn't feel like going the laundromat thing, so we sent things out toward the end of the cruise. Also did some washables in the room.

We found there was plenty of storage for our needs. Not needing formal wear cut down on the amount of clothing. Nice closet, I think 3 nice drawers, shelves. Luggage fit under bed. There is also a fridge (not a stocked mini-fridge) and the bottled water was no charge.

We had no trouble conversing with the crew or any of the local tour guides.

There were so many highlights on the cruise :). Make sure to get to the sun deck when in the Wachau Valley (fun Bavarian Lunch up there that day). You can just walk into the town in Regensburg and Passau. Vienna requires a 15 min walk to the subway and then a 4-stop ride into center of city (train was not operating, so we took a cab going in). They provided shuttle buses in Nuremberg.

From what I have read, I would guess that most of the people coming from places like Prague have arranged with transfer companies to get them to the ship. (Dock in Budapest is right at Chain Bridge). You might also be able to get train a bit cheaper, but then it's dealing with the luggage.

I'm sure you're in for a great trip. Take some time to see Amsterdam also. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Just a few more more questions--dress code?? Will DH need a suit or a jacket or were all dinners smart casual? What time did the boat dock in Amsterdam? We have been there before & would like to fly home that day. I noticed that there were not times in our brochure. I will keep looking for your review.

NJ Gal

The review was published yesterday :), http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91291

Your husband will not need a suit or jacket. Smart casual at supper will be fine. There were those who did wear jackets, but just as many if not more who didn't. Most nights I wore khakis, a button shirt and my white walking shoes (I had packed black dress ones, but didn't wear them) and did not feel out of place at all.

We only went to Nurenberg, but I notice from the brochure that the Amsterdam-Budapest trip spends the first night in Amsterdam and the last night in Budapest on the ship. I'm assuming that the same will happen going in your direction in which case you'll be able to fly out as early as you would like. If you haven't gotten the transfer from Viking, the staff will arrange for a cab to take you to the airport. There will be a sign-up procedure a couple of nights before.

Archived