Mariner price fluctations

We are booked on the Mariner on Nov. 12, 2012 transatlantic from Rome to Galveston. We booked early, 18 months out, and got an inside for $509. I periodically check pricing and currently the rate for an inside is up to $1599.

I can't figure out why the price would rise so dramatically. I know I got a good deal but with more than a year before sailing what would justify this price?

We are booked on the Mariner on Nov. 12, 2012 transatlantic from Rome to Galveston. We booked early, 18 months out, and got an inside for $509. I periodically check pricing and currently the rate for an inside is up to $1599.

I can't figure out why the price would rise so dramatically. I know I got a good deal but with more than a year before sailing what would justify this price?

The Market.

YES. The market supply and demand and therefore thecabin pricing is floating and the pricing is being tested and set by the cruise line to entice the buying cruise public. The closer in time to the cruise date and closer the ship is to selling out to capacity the higher the price. If ship not selling out The cruise line offers the lower price. See 90 day ticker site. At times there are deals out there on the market. Review some of the threads about best deals on forums. On the other hand there are extremely high prices on high occupancy and close to being sold out ships. We sailed around the Med

once for 6 days and 5 nites for 199 on the Navigator! We are just off TA and had offer from Rccl. On Our last TA Barcellona to Galveston a

man said at last minute he joined family already booked for 249. Of course pricing sky rockets also. Some cruisers posted even better deals than ours on good deals threads.

I have been watching pricing on this cruise since it opened for booking this pas spring, and this one has had the most dramatic price increases of any cruise I've watched.

The prices for the TA have gone up and down like a yo-yo. I knew it would probably be popular so I booked my balcony cabin as soon as the itinerary came out for $999 per person. I never saw it go down but have seen it go up to two plus times that much. Then after final payment, it went back down again to within a couple of hundred dollars. Now it is back up again over $2,300.

Two friends of mine booked an ocean view shortly after I did for $819 per person. Now it is up to $1,450.

While nothing irritates me more than to book early and end up paying more than somebody who comes in 6 weeks out, I've decided that, in some cases, it is better to book early at a price I am comfortable with and bird dog price drops particularly if you have international air involved. Also, by booking early, you get your picks of cabins.

One time, though, there was a significant price drop literally hours before final payment was due. You can bet I was all over it. At first they refused to give it to me because I had made final payment a week before. However, working up the food chain I finally got it. Told the guy it would be a whole lot easier for RC to give me the price drop than for me to cancel it and rebook it.

Tucker in Texas

Archived