Packing help for Valparaiso to B.A. Dec 18-Jan

Cairo

Hi all,

Could anyone who has done a similar trip, please help with packing tips? Our ports of call are Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, Puerto Madryn, Montevideo, and Punta Del Esta. We've been to both B.A. and Santiago before in September and it was nice and warm. However, most S.Americans wear long pants. It's the other areas that I'm concerned about how cool (cold) it will be. We plan on spending lots of time outdoors. We are also going to Easter Island, but I believe it will be quite warm there. ..so maybe a little beach time :)

Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The best advice I can give, living down that end of the world, is to wear layers, the weather can change quickly and throwing on or off a jacket will come in handy.

I can't talk for Easter Island not been fortunate yet to get there.

For Valparaiso and Buenos Aires highs will be in the 80's possibly higher. So bring clothes for the warm weather including shorts and short tops along with long pants as you mentioned from your past visit.

As you cruise south it will get cooler and cooler. You may have days with highs in the high 40's, and 50's and it will seem even cooler because of the wind and the wind chill factor. I would bring a hat, scarf, gloves, jacket, fleee or sweater and pants to keep you warm and be prepared to layer. If you visit the Penguins at Otway Bay in Punta Arenas it will be very cold. I recommend visiting them.

Thank you both very much. Info quite helpful, but packing for two seasons will be a challenge! :) Thanks for the advice on the Penguins. I have been trying to decide which port to go see them.

If I could add one more item I would book Penguin excursions in more than one port. There are times that due to high winds that you may miss a port such as Punta Arenas so by having multiple penguin excursions it increases your odds to experience them. I highly recommend seeing the penguins. It is a great experience.

Keith

Wow, thanks again. I wouldn't have thought about that. When in the Galapagos this summer. .we were able to swim the Galapagos penguins. . .quite an experience!

However, I definitely want to see these penguins. Do you have a recommendation for the other port to choose?

Normally I would have recommended the Falkland Islands but that is not on your itinerary.

Consider the Punta Tombo Penguin Rookery. The only downside is the drive is about 2 and 1/2 hours but this area is home to 500,000 Magellanic penguins.

to an estimated 500,000 Magellanic penguins.

Keith

Normally I would have recommended the Falkland Islands but that is not on your itinerary.

Consider the Punta Tombo Penguin Rookery. The only downside is the drive is about 2 and 1/2 hours but this area is home to 500,000 Magellanic penguins.

to an estimated 500,000 Magellanic penguins.

Keith

Because of the long drive, we booked an excursion to Otway at Punta Arenas, Chile. Maybe not as many penguins, but an easier trip.

Because of the long drive, we booked an excursion to Otway at Punta Arenas, Chile. Maybe not as many penguins, but an easier trip.

Kellie, I agree. Otway Bay is my first choice for the reason that you mentioned and I had posted that earlier. I was just giving the Original Poster a second choice in my last post just in case the ship cannot visit Punta Arenas should the weather turn bad.

Keith

Kellie, I agree. Otway Bay is my first choice for the reason that you mentioned and I had posted that earlier. I was just giving the Original Poster a second choice in my last post just in case the ship cannot visit Punta Arenas should the weather turn bad.

Keith

One other point to be aware of about Otway Bay.... it is VERY dusty there because of the winds, dryness and local mine with one of the largest slag dirt piles you'll ever see (check Google Earth, you can see it from satellite). I spent several days afterwards with a sinus condition that bordered on an infection because of the dust. Much of the trip to Otway Bay is over unpaved farm roads. We found it was quite mild about Christmas 2010 there and because of this, many people on the bus opened windows (no AC) which covered everyone and everything with dust. If you do this tour, bring your own water too; in fact, you probably want to do that on any excursion, but this one in particular is a good idea.

We also found that the weather during our entire mid Dec. to early Jan. cruise was terrific; mild to warm, even down in Punta Arenas and Ushuaia and warm in Montevideo and B.A. I would recommend bringing along a very strong sunscreen as well; my daughter got quite a sunburn horseback riding in Puerto Montt on a pretty, cloudless day there, courtesy of the ozone hole above South America.

Archived