Stingray City with a 14 month old

cruzinlisa

Have you done it? Would you? DH and I would like to go to stingray city on our April cruise but we will have DD. Is this a safe excursion to go on or are we going to be trading off who takes care of DD? How deep is the water? Do they have life vests for wee ones? What is the boat like. Thinking of Captain Marvins or the other popular tour company (name is escaping me). If this is not advisable, can you suggest a better tour that would be toddler friendly.

...Is this a safe excursion to go on or are we going to be trading off who takes care of DD?...

This is definitely an excursion where you will be trading off who takes care of DD. The sting ray city tours are generally all about swimming with the sting rays. At some other islands there are some day sail excursions which include swimming/snorkeling but are more about being on a nice boat for the day but this is not the case in the Cayman stingray city tours I've been on. These have all been on dive boats with few amenities that were more about transportation to/from the sand bar than for the ride itself.

This is not a trip targeted for very young children. The water there is waist deep but at times higher - you're in the Ocean on a sandbar a couple miles from shore so the Ocean floor is not even like it would be in a swimming pool, a shoreline beach or a constructed area.

Personally, I'd think you'd be better off heading to a beach with your young one. If you really want to go and are concerned about life vests, and if your child will even be allowed, then call the provider. If you were asking about life vests thinking you'd use this to let baby float a bit for enjoyment, or to wear at other times during the excursion, then you might be better off getting your baby her own life vest or floatation suit to bring along rather than putting her in one that you don't know the condition, nor cleanliness of, beforehand. My experiance is that the life vests on trips like this are designed for emergencies and not necessarily ones you'd want your baby to be wearing a lot during the excursion.

55214530_pLYpt-M.jpg

Friends with a toddler that age visited Stingray City, and traded off having their child sit on a parent's shoulders while they stood in the water. Close to the 'rays, but not actually with the 'rays, was the idea. :D They used a lifejacket they brought from home, though, so I'm not sure if the operators have them that small.

Whether your child will like the excursion or not depends a lot on how they are with large animals and water. Do they play shy with the neighbour's dog? Do they swim regularly? (in more than just a kiddie pool) If they're good with large, often quickly-moving animals, and they're good with water, then they'll likely enjoy the excursion. The water will be too deep, though, which is why our friends went with the "parent's shoulder" system.

Thanks. Sounds like a no go then, because I do not want to be trading off the baby all day. Probably we will wait a couple of years and book another GC cruise when she is a little older and can appreciate it. What would be a good excursion? Could do the beach but last beach trip she was not all that impressed with it (but she will be older so don't know if that will make a diff). I don't blame her though, mama's not too impressed with sand in my everything either. Funny because I am a beach person, but more to look at and enjoy the beauty of from afar, not actually go on the beach.

She loves animals. Would the turtle farm be good or would that be too grown up for a little one.

We did Rays Reef and Rum Point with Nativeway tours a couple of weeks ago with a 5 year old. I wouldn't tell you not to do it. Our DS is not a big fan of the water but he loved this tour. They didn't have the perfect life vest for kids so I'd bring your own, start looking now you might find one on clearance. You could trade off carrying her into the water with a carrier or your shoulders so you don't miss the water time. She most likely won't get that she's in the water with something scary unless you're freaked. With kids you already know that it's different and you need extra stuff. Make sure your bag has water or juice (helps get rid of the sea water taste for kids) snacks, sun screen, a change of clothes and maybe some beach toys (a shovel and bucket make all the difference for us and target has them on clearance right now). If it's something you want to do you can make it work with your child. :)

Archived