Why a personal NCL email address?

judybee

Since I have a yahoo email address which can be accessed from anywhere I simply disregard the NCL email address.

I think it's for those who have no email address at all, but in the long run it would be cheaper to sign up for a free yahoo (or gmail or hotmail) email address and pay for the ship's internet time to check email rather than have folks send email to the NCL email address.

It's my understanding that the address is meant to be given to folks who stay behind. So they will be able to contact the passenger. Bear in mind that this set up goes back a few years when not everybody had an email address. It was a good idea then. And I seem to remember that you pay for each oncoming email. You'd have to pick it up at the Internet Desk.

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

And I seem to remember that you pay for each incoming email. You'd have to pick it up at the Internet Desk.

I wondered how you would actually get the message and it's no surprise that you would have to pay otherwise it would be the ideal way to get messages from home. Thanks for the response. :D

I wondered how you would actually get the message and it's no surprise that you would have to pay otherwise it would be the ideal way to get messages from home. Thanks for the response. :D

Sign up for internet access by minute or plan and receive your email the same as you normally would get emails, no one picks up your messages for you.

As someone pointed out, I believe this was put in place before most people had web access email accounts.

why would people who don't have email addresses all of a sudden use one on the cruise. they wouldn't even know how to use it.

Because internet (although expensive on a cruise) is cheaper than making phone calls to stay in touch with home. A lot of people do not have internet at home for numerous reasons, cost of internet, no computer, etc. That doesn't mean they don't know how to use it.

Archived