Torn between two cameras.......

Whimsy

I am a novice, just have automatic point and shoot cameras. I am wanting to move up to something that will take better photos. Zack was very kind on another thread but I don't want to hijack someone's thread.

We travel a few times a year. Usually one large vacation and then a few weekends away. I would like to decorate our home with photos I take that mean something to me. I had a photo from St John's put on canvas a while back, it now graces the top of my closet so it's the first thing I see every morning.

Just to give you an idea..

Groupon2.jpg

Here is one I currently have on order.

We cropped the guy out to the right

RubyPrincess2010212.jpg

So, you can see I am trying to bring the caribbean back home to rest on my walls and bring me a smile. I am now wanting to take the best photos I possible can.

I have been looking at cameras and was leaning to the Canon Rebel T2i. I'm comfortable with the price, seems like the lenses are easy to switch and am hoping I can take a class or two to learn a little bit before we cruise. My concerns are the camera will be too big/bulky/heavy and I won't want to take it around with me. I'm worried that I won't be able to learn but at least I don't have to develop film, look on the computer and hit delete.

I then ran into a friend who returned from Africa. She had a point and shoot Canon that was a higher end model but it took wonderful photos as far as I could see.

I went to Best Buy to look at that one but they no longer have it. They have replaced it with another model. Soon I started looking at a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX100V. It seems like a very nice camera and maybe not so complicated. I'm thinking this one might be easier to learn and won't weigh us down and if so, we would be more likely to have the camera on us and use.

Now I am more unsure which way to go. Any thing members here can add and help me make a decision? All comments would be appreciated.

Buying a camera in this day and age is can be overwhelming, so many brands so many features and specs that seem so similar across varous brands and prices points.

Entry DSLRs are really really good these days. Really no bad choices among the big two Canon and Nikon. The other guys make great cameras to but unless there really is a compelling must have feature or other element lots of reasons to stay Canikon.

P&S even more confusing IMHO Canon, Sony, and Panasonic are the leaders here.

Here is one site and reviews that give a pretty good selection across every segement and price points: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

Happy reasearching!

I have been looking at cameras and was leaning to the Canon Rebel T2i. I'm comfortable with the price, seems like the lenses are easy to switch and am hoping I can take a class or two to learn a little bit before we cruise. My concerns are the camera will be too big/bulky/heavy and I won't want to take it around with me. I'm worried that I won't be able to learn but at least I don't have to develop film, look on the computer and hit delete.

As said before, cannot go wrong with CaniKon DSLR.

As for learning, whatever DSLR you select, you will always have the option of P & S. I found that it is important to have a good understanding of how aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation and ISO work and effect each other. Once you get the gist of this, you will be able to do so much with your camera. For example, taking indoor pictures with low light and no flash can be accomplished by setting the aperture wide open, increasing the exposure compensation.

The big difference is the ability to change lenses. And, the lens is probably the most important aspect of the camera.

In July I made the jump to dSLR. I took quite a while to decide between Canon and Nikon -- I was getting frustrated because both have great cameras, but I found the any of the sales people were biased by what they shoot with.

For me, it came down to feel. What feels most comfortable to you? I wanted something sturdier...I wanted it to feel like a piece of equipment as opposed to something I would toss around.

You need to try them out.

Thanks very much for the responses. I am leaning back to the Canon Rebel to have a DSLR. I am just waiting for a good sale. Someone mentioned waiting for black friday weekend but I don't know if I want to wait that long. Will see how sales go in the next few weeks.

You may want to also check out the Nikon D5100. I bought one the day before I left on my trip. I had a little Panasonic Lumix which took great photos but I have been wanting a nicer camera for awhile.

I am a strict novice. I used to shoot a lot of film 30+ yrs. ago and develop myself, had an Olympus OM-2 I was in love with.

I wanted something that had many of the same features of my old Olympus, ie. auto vs. manual etc., but was still easy to use and not break the pocketbook.

I agree with the suggestion to go with what feels right in your hands. I had narrowed it down to the comparable Canon, and the Nikon just seemed to fit better. I am very pleased with the Nikon and shots. I especially like some of the special features such as the color sketch. See below:

ry%3D400

Unfortunately, I did not find out about that effect until I returned home from my trip and read the manual (forgot to take the manual on the trip). I was only able to modify the photos left on my memory card.

You may want to also check out the Nikon D5100. I bought one the day before I left on my trip. I had a little Panasonic Lumix which took great photos but I have been wanting a nicer camera for awhile.

I am a strict novice. I used to shoot a lot of film 30+ yrs. ago and develop myself, had an Olympus OM-2 I was in love with.

I wanted something that had many of the same features of my old Olympus, ie. auto vs. manual etc., but was still easy to use and not break the pocketbook.

I agree with the suggestion to go with what feels right in your hands. I had narrowed it down to the comparable Canon, and the Nikon just seemed to fit better. I am very pleased with the Nikon and shots. I especially like some of the special features such as the color sketch. See below:

ry%3D400

Unfortunately, I did not find out about that effect until I returned home from my trip and read the manual (forgot to take the manual on the trip). I was only able to modify the photos left on my memory card.

Interesting feature with the color sketch. Is that done in the camera or with Sony software? I have a D60 and a p7000.

Interesting feature with the color sketch. Is that done in the camera or with Sony software? I have a D60 and a p7000.

It's done totally within the camera. I looked at the 7000 but couldn't justify the extra money with me being such a novice. I wish I had found the effect prior to the trip and would have used it more. But I had downloaded off my memory card about every 2 nights so when I got home I only had a couple of days worth on that card. I also tried putting the card in the camera from my shots with my Panasonic Lumix, but they wouldn't come up so I couldn't make any modifications.

Thanks very much for the responses. I am leaning back to the Canon Rebel to have a DSLR. I am just waiting for a good sale. Someone mentioned waiting for black friday weekend but I don't know if I want to wait that long. Will see how sales go in the next few weeks.

Before you make your final decision, check out the Canon SX40 HS. It's that newest model in the SX line.

I was "sold" on the Rebel, too, until I found this camera (it's coming for my birthday on the 20th :D). I ultimately decided what I really wanted was the ease of a Point & shoot camera with the grandeur of a DSLR, without all the hassle of extra lenses and more expensive equipment. The sample shots I have seen are gorgeous, and Canon has a great reputation with this line of P&S cameras.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived