Brochures

paul bernard

This week alone we each received four different multi colored, many paged Oceania brochures in the mail. No week goes by without our gettingt at least one. Quite apart from the ecological undesirability of this, has it not occured to Oceania that if, instead of spending so much on redundant advertising that goes straight into the trash, they would lower their fares, which are now well up in the luxury class, which in spite of all the good things about it Oceania isn't, some of us might be able to cruise with them again?

I agree that the fares are soaring out of sight into the luxury class , but I disagree as far as brochures are concerned. Oceania is one of the few companies that send out "hard copies" of their scheduled voyages and it's easier to peruse and keep a brochure than to go online to look up cruises.

Funny, my friend reports the same, while we get maybe 1/month. They have done 1 cruise with O while we have just paid up for #5.

Perhaps the difference is that they are trying a little too hard to convert you?

However in this day and age of envoinmental responsibility, it is excessive to get so many. Never mind the cost of printing and postage to O. They must think the response rate is worth it. We have never been prompted to book from a brochure, although I do like to look at the books and ponder the possibilities.

Mo

I get both the emails and the brochures. The brochures certainly provide more information. Looking at the 2012 brochure, for instance, you will notice that Insignia is not listed at all. A bit strange, in so far as several trips are scheduled for the beginning of the year. The ship is being leased to another line for two years.

I get just as many brochures from Regent, although we haven't sailed with them for ten years, and from a number of other lines as wel. Once you sign up for and request just one brochure from a cruiseline the brochures just keep coming. It does tend to fill up the recycle bin, but I must admit that I usually look through them, if in a cursory fashion.

Although I do get brochures from Oceania and Regent, I think I get more from Princess. I think part of the problem is my DH has a different last name than me ... we get double everything! This thread has reminded me to call Princess to fix this waste.

I have to agree with someone else, that I value having the internet and the brochure in hand to look at. I'm not a Kindle person. I still like the feel of a book in my hand. :o

We just received yet another Oceania brochure (they come weekly). This one is called "European Dreams--Marina & Riviera 2012 Voyages". It appears that the fares are lower in this one than previous brochures. I'm calling my TA to have her get the lower fares for our June 2012 cruise on the Marina. I wonder how many times the fares will change before we have to make our final payment in March. Also just saw on USA Today iPhone App that there is supposed to be a big sale on many cruise lines next week for a special cruise line week.

I think I am on everybody's mailing list...

Every day, it seems, I get brochures in the mail not only from Oceania, but from regent, Seabourne, Cunard, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Viking River Cruises, Silverseas, Carnival and more...as well as mailings from various hotel chains, tour companies, etc.

I guess they have all pinpointed me as someone who cruises a lot and travels a lot...

What they are ALL trying to do is to keep themselves front and center in my thoughts so that when I book my next cruise, I will have them in mind...or maybe I will read through and see something I really like...

And there is a secondary benefit...With these brochures littered about my house and my office, they are bound to catch the attention of my friends and colleagues as well...It's a pretty fertile market for selling cruises...

So, I brought one of my Oceania brochures to the office last week...and my colleague comes into my office and sees it...we start talking about my recent Marina cruise and he picks up the brochure and starts leafing through it...an books a Penthouse on Riviera for next year...

I'd say the cost of that mailing paid off for Oceania...

The brochures attract attention...and they ARE easy to leaf through and find what you want to know...

It's good marketing...

Do we need as many as we get? I am sure we don't...but, what I do with my extras is I give them out to friends and family...and sometimes, as in this case, they book the cruise...

And, I will say this after collecting so many brochures from so many cruise lines...Oceania has some of the nicest and best designed brochures in the business...

Interesting discussion. A few years ago, we read that you have to be a coveted customer (with lots of past sailings, especially in suites, spend a lot on board or fit certain profile) to be lucky enough to get full brochures. (With only two voyages and close to zero spending, we never got one). Now we receive multiple copies every month, some times weekly. We don't know how effective this new policy on advertisement has been. Perhaps time will tell.

Interesting discussion. A few years ago, we read that you have to be a coveted customer (with lots of past sailings, especially in suites, spend a lot on board or fit certain profile) to be lucky enough to get full brochures.

What a crock!!! :rolleyes:

Archived