Anchorage - Reasonable walk to train station from what hotels?

santamaria

We currently have res. at Captain Cook, but will be driving down from Denali and train out next am to Seward. Comfort Inn is "adjacent" to train station?? but they told me they have shuttle to train. So, how far is it really and would you walk with your luggage. Any other close suggestions (walkable), Hilton? If I would need shuttle/taxi, will keep Captain Cook res. even tho there for just one night. Thanks again.

Comfort end is about probably 1/4 - 1/2 mile to the train station, the Hilton sits up above it, but then the train station sits at the end of this great big hill, which if you are doing luggage you really couldn't take the steps but would have to follow the road down.

The Hilton, one of the Ramadas, the Howard Johnson (old Holiday Inn) are all on 3rd Avenue which sits up above the train depot but I wouldn't want to be dragging my luggage down that hill, I'd still take a taxi.

If you'd stay down at the Comfort and want to see downtown, you'd still have to come up the hill, so all in all a taxi from the Cook probably won't run you that much to get you to the train, plus you'd be on this side of the hill :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

SusanAk, I am planning on using priceline for bidding on dountown hotels in Anchorage; I need one night May 18 (arrival in AK - taking RR to Seward next day) and 1 night May 20 before taking transfer to Whittier. Any suggestions on zones and stars to bid? I hope Anchorage is divided into zones -- I would prefer to be downtown rather than at the airport. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Gloria F,

Just checked http://www.biddingfortravel.com and this is the link for Alaska hotels. Checked Hotwire too and from looking at them it looks like Central Anchorage would include downtown. They had it divided into 3 areas - International Airport, Central Anchorage and South Anchorage. Currently nothing showing in South Anchorage. So between these 2 sites maybe you can figure out what is what. http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddingfrm185.showMessage?topicID=17.topic

When I checked Priceline it's not doing zones for Anchorage, when you put in Anchorage your choices are Anchorage or Wasilla and then when you look at the Anchorage map it does include the airport too.

Also, when I was researching using priceline for the first time this year, for our pre cruise night in Fort Lauderdale I had read something about if you went and did a package on Priceline for your city, then you could see what hotels and stars that usually come up with them. So just go into the package area and put in ANC as destination and then put in your city and your dates and see what you hit there, that will help with the stars too. When I did it you had 2 downtown - Sheraton and Days Inn and 2 by the airport - Millenium and Coast International.

Hope some of this helps!

Thanks Susan. I checked Priceline for Anchorage too and saw there was only one big zone. Now I'm looking at the AAA Alaska book -- the advantage to this is that they give prices and locations. So I may just use AAA for my hotel in Anchorage. I just don't want to pay more than $80 or so and that is hard to find if you don't use Priceline.

Anchorage Clarion Suites on the corner of C St and W. 8th Ave looks reasonably priced, and they offer airport and RR depot shuttles. Is there any reason I would not want this hotel? Thanks for your info!

Gloria F,

It will put you downtown, which is great. You're about 1 1/2 blocks from the museum about 3-4 blocks from all the downtown gift stores and quite a few restaurants. Being that said, it's basically surrounded by parking lots and the federal building is across one of the streets, but if you go up one street you'll be at the Park Strip and if you go back 2 streets you're at Nordstrom's and our 5th Avenue Mall.

Being that you're still coming up mid May, you may get the $80, but anything after Memorial Day, the prices go onto their summer rates, if they haven't already. Got to make those summer tourist dollars.

santamaria,

Being from here I haven't stayed at either, though I've been to functions at both.

They are both downtown and easy walking distances to all kinds of restaurants and gift shops.

So if anything price could be a factor of choice.

I've stayed at both the Hilton and the Captain Cook. I love the steam room and pool at the Captain Cook, but I belong to the Hilton Honors program and like to get airline miles and points at the Hilton. I stayed at the Hilton in January and slept with the window wide open all night because the room was so hot. If you will have time to use the facilities at the Captain Cook, it would probably be the better choice.

You'll be right in Midtown. You're in walking distance of a Walmart, Outback but couldn't walk downtown, or the Heritage Center, or the zoo. So if you can swing a car, I would.

I did book the ANC Clarion Suites for $87.75 + 8% occupancy tax for May 18. It's the day we arrive in Anchorage, after a long day of flying from Florida, so I figured the shuttles from the airport and to the train depot the next morning would come in handy. Also they have a gym with a heated pool and a whirlpool, which will feel real good after all day flying!!

Now I need help for a hotel for returning from Seward. We get back to ANC at 10:15PM on the train and leave the next morning on the Princess transfer to Whittier, so I was thinking something cheaper near the airport. I found a good choice (Exec Inn) offering shuttle service and cont. breakfast near the airport thru Orbitz. I want to book, but the rate said it was a corporate rate - business card required. I have a normal business card that I give to clients, but I think they're talking about some sort of corporate discount card. Anybody have any experience with finding this when booking? Any ideas or advice will be appreciated!

Gloria F,

If this is the place that you mean - http://www.executivesuitehotel.com/, just clarifying because you said Exec Inn, I did a one night reservation and saw what you saw on the different categores, so since I'm here I called and asked what the business card entailed. I said like the one that I give my clients, she said yes, as long as the name on the business card is the name the reservation is in.

Gloria,

You may want to clarify where you will meet the Princess transfer. We are going in June and, like you, will be there a few days early. Princess told my TA that we would not need to meet the transfer at the airport that the transfer would actually be leaving from the Egan Convention Center on W Fifth Ave and that we should check in there with our luggage instead of the airport. We are planning to take a cab to the Egan Center, check in, and then possibly walk around town a bit if there is time before the transfer leaves. If this is the case for you also, a hotel closer to the downtown area might be more convenient?

Just thought you might want to check that out.

SusanAk, thanks! That is the same place, and the same rates are on their website, so I'll book direct. You have been so much help!!

But first I guess I should do some checking and see where we will pick up the Princess transfer as cruisebie suggested - still, just for overnight since we get in so late, being downtown won't make a difference. We don't get in to ANC til 10:15, then leave after breakfast the next morning, and I think I'd rather save $40. But -- Thanks, cruisebie, I will check out the details of where to meet Princess again (originally my TA told us Baggage Claim at the airport). That little detail of exactly where and when to meet has been bothering me.

Has anyone every stayed at the Best Value in Anchorage? It is on Spenard Road. Just wondering if it's clean enough to spend one night. We also are flying in after a very long flight from Florida, we do not get into almost 10pm I believe and we are ONLY spending the night, then getting up very early and driving down to Seward, but I didn't have much luck on priceline, and I was able to get this hotel for $110 and we are there in the middle of July, I know nothing about the place.

SusanAK, I can't thank you enough for all of your help!! :) :) :)

I called the 800# and spoke with Opal at the front desk, and she verified that they would pick us up at the train depot when we arrive, they have a breakfast buffet between 6:30-9:30am, and they will drop us off at the airport the next morning. So I will just stick with meeting Princess at Baggag Claim. I know the location is not ideal, but since we will not be wanting to go out at that time of night anyway after being active in Seward all day, it is great for us! And the best part is that I got a queen suite for $45 + 8% with the AARP membership!

Gloria F,

No problem love helping people headed my way. I think what you picked for one night will just do you fine. Especially with the free shuttles and breakfast and even greater with the AARP discount. I definitely plan to join it when I can qualify, still a few years away.

Enjoy your trip and any more questions, please just ask.

Susan :)

Has anyone every stayed at the Best Value in Anchorage? It is on Spenard Road. Just wondering if it's clean enough to spend one night. We also are flying in after a very long flight from Florida, we do not get into almost 10pm I believe and we are ONLY spending the night, then getting up very early and driving down to Seward, but I didn't have much luck on priceline, and I was able to get this hotel for $110 and we are there in the middle of July, I know nothing about the place.

Mandrews2u,

They used to be apartments but then they were bought out and made into a hotel. It's not in the most exciting part of town, airport area, but for one night you'll be fine and to get a $110 room in July here is excellent.

Gloria F,

FYI, just this week we voted to put in a new convention center, which is going to be funded under the bed tax, so not sure when it goes into effect, but your 8% maybe be 12% by the time you get here.

It's still a bargain!

I found it a little odd, when I got both verifications of reservations from AK, they quoted the rate they were charging the credit card, but didn't tell me the exact total -- maybe the question of when the new tax starts is why.

mandrews, I'll post on this board when I return what it is like. I expect it will be fine, esp for the price. :)

Thanks Susan in Anchorage for the info on the Hotel I got for the one night, I think it's a good price for high season and we will literally only be sleeping, I'm sure by the time we get our rental and all, we will have to save seeing Ancorage for another time, I was heart set on going to Seward with the two days prior to cruise..

Archived