I feel stupid but have to ask.... those on transatlantic and/or Europe cruises

Almost missed your wink.Whew.

hehe im from the UK. I just googled customary tipping in europe ( oops my bad :o i usually tip loose change or say keep the change and dont really go anywhere fancy just family places like pubs or pizza hut lol ) but for spain, where I usually go, it says the following :

Spain

Source: José Antonio Garabán, Hotel Europa, Madrid

First at all, tipping is never obligatory. It is always up to the customer to tip or not tip and always if you like the service. There is no percentage of the total, except in restaurants that you give around 5–8%. In the other cases you give change (coins). In the restaurants you leave the tip on the table (in the plate that the bill came). In other cases directly to the person.

Taxis and haircuts: Coins (less than €1)

Hotels: Whatever you wish to give to the bellboy or porter (if they take your luggage), maid (if room is clean), and receptionist (good service).

WC: No tipping

Sweden

Source: Jenny Burman, Stockholm Visitors Board, Stockholm

Restaurants: No tip is needed because a service charge is already included in the bill. But in fancier restaurants or for exceptional service, it is typical to round up about 5–10 percent.

Taxis: It is a nice gesture to give the driver about 15–20 crowns (definitely round up)

Hotels: No

Haircuts: No

WC: No

I also just read this, it made me smile a little ;) ( glad im not the only person to say 'keep the change' )

How to give the tip varies. Discreet is a good rule — Brits, especially the English, don't like "big deals" made of anything, really. If you can leave it on a bed or a table, great. Otherwise, put the tip in with the payment and say something like, "Keep the rest, please." Or, for example, a cab fare is £10 and all you have is a twenty, then you could say something like, "Could you give me change for £12 please." (Wow, I'm a big tipper — that's 20%!)

Archived