I feel stupid but have to ask.... those on transatlantic and/or Europe cruises

3 back to back cruises coming up in the spring.

Spain, France, Italy (staying 4 days), Egypt, Isreal, Turkey....

Do they all accept US dollars? or credit cards?

Or do we have to bring their currency to use? If so-

Does the ship offer currency exchange- what's their fee like? And if you have left overs can you change it back to US dollars?

Thanks.

3 back to back cruises coming up in the spring.

Spain, France, Italy (staying 4 days), Egypt, Isreal, Turkey....

Do they all accept US dollars? or credit cards?

Or do we have to bring their currency to use? If so-

Does the ship offer currency exchange- what's their fee like? And if you have left overs can you change it back to US dollars?

Thanks.

Euros are the legal tender in Spain France and Italy. Egypt uses the Egyptian Pound, Turkey uses the Turkish Lira, and Israel uses the New Israeli Shekel. While credit cards are accepted overseas, they are not as common as they are in the States. You don't need to exchange currency in advance, you can usually find a local bank or Cambio to assist in exchange when you get there -- though you might want to change a VERY SMALL amount into Euros prior to leaving in case you arrive late or the banks are already closed.

Michael

Most important is to let your credit card company where you expect to be. And confirm that you will be able to use them. I have had issues in Spain. Did not use one in Turkey, haven't been to Israel or Egypt

On the ship itself you use your Sea Pass and everything is in US $. You can tip the crew extra in dollars or euros. We used euros at the end since we had some extra.

Definitely carry some euros with you to get you started. Before you leave, set up a DEBIT card (not charge card) so you can withdraw from an ATM. This is the easiest way to get money over there. Just make sure you arrange with your bank ahead of time so they know where and when you are traveling and which cards, etc. Make sure the access code is 4 numbers. Take more than one card so you have a back-up. There's a couple of threads over on the Italy forum about this. I also advise based on personal experience to try your card at the airport ATM as soon as you land. I did, it worked great and actually got the best exchange rate of the trip. My BIL/SIL traveling with us did not try theirs at the airport and waited a couple of days until they were out of money. For some reason, neither of their two cards would work. They spent half a day on the phone with the banks and then had to go in person to a bank to get some exchanged. They were only successful a couple of times and it put alot of stress on us since we were carrying their expenses too. They also had problems exchanging cash for euros. They had about $1000 in US cash and it took a couple of days and several tries to get that exchanged, and then at a very poor rate.

The ship will cost more to exchange than using the ATM's in port.

In Turkey at the tourist places they readily took euros. I don't know about US $ though, didn't ask. We had a private guide and she said we could pay her in turkish lira, euros or us, whichever was better. She paid our entry fees to the sites so we did not have to worry about exchanging or getting any turkish lira.

I have not been to Egypt or Israel recently, so can't answer for them.

Plan, Plan, Plan and then have a back-up plan (or two).

Most important is to let your credit card company where you expect to be. And confirm that you will be able to use them. I have had issues in Spain. Did not use one in Turkey, haven't been to Israel or Egypt

Yes, this is important. I was in the Middle East visiting the countries you mentioned and upon my arrival at home I had a message from my Credit Card Company asking for me to call them. When I did they were questioning whether it was really me or not. I understand that now they put a hold on your card and you can't use it until you call them. I learned my lesson and always call before we go out of the country. Israel and Egypt were fabulous. Hope you make it to Luxor. It wasn't a place that I especially wanted to see and it ended up being my favorite in Egypt. Read up on the areas that you'll visit before you go, it helps. Have a wonderful trip.

We purchased some pounds and euros before leaving for our transatlantic but mostly used our credit cards in England,France, Ireland, and even Iceland. In Newfoundland, the US dollar was accepted at par with the Canadian dollar. In the past we have been able to use local ATMs in order to get additional pounds or euros as needed. As mentioned it is a good idea to alert your credit card company that you will be traveling and the areas where your journey will take you.:)

I have found that the biggest problem with using US$ abroad is that it's not that the vendor won't accept US$ it's that they are uable to make change. This becomes more of an issue with larger US Bills. Therefore I always carry US$ only in small demominations....... $1 and $5 only. This come in very handy if I'm only wanting to purchase something small such as a snack, cold drink or a little trinket of sorts. Using smalls bills I don't mind not getting change , infact it end up costing me less the conversation rates would be in the long run.

Wow- alot to think about.

My main concern is Rome. We are on the Princess Crown and will be getting off- with luggage (trying to keep it to 2 pieces)...

so we will take the train to Rome...but I have to have money right then for the train, right? Or does the train machine take credit cards?

Do local banks and credit unions help with exchange before you go? I belong to USAA and there really isn't a branch here...but my daughter banks local.

My main concern is Rome. We are on the Princess Crown and will be getting off- with luggage (trying to keep it to 2 pieces)...

so we will take the train to Rome...but I have to have money right then for the train, right? Or does the train machine take credit cards?

Do local banks and credit unions help with exchange before you go? I belong to USAA and there really isn't a branch here...but my daughter banks local.

Although I did not take the train in Rome to/from port to town, we did stay several days in Rome pre-cruise. I actually used my debit card at the machines in the stations to get my metro tickets. I found it was easier than trying to put in money.

We ordered Euros from Bank of America before we left and picked them up locally, although they would have arranged to send it and then I come sign for the package at a UPS.

Just talk with your bank and tell them what you are planning and see what they suggest.

so we will take the train to Rome...but I have to have money right then for the train, right? Or does the train machine take credit cards?The train machine does take credit cards. Remember to have your ticket stamped before boarding.

As others have said, Spain France and Italy use the Euro .

In Israel US $'s accepted almost everywhere, not always at good rates ,but who cares for small amounts

And again, credit card acceptance is very common in all these countrys.

Let me be the first to tell you how jealous I am.:p

Mostly excellent advice, with some not entirely accurate categorical statements thrown in, but hopefully you get the pictue :)

Just to reinforce:

- In the tourist areas of Israel, Egypt and Turkey, US$, sterling and euros will frequently be accepted, but change will most likely be given in local currency (or for very small amounts, possibly in candy - this is normal local practice, they are not ripping you off, although watch out for Turkish Lira notes with 6 or more zeroes, they are old and no longer legal tender)

- Use of credit cards is very common in all these countries, especially in the tourist areas. I would not rely on just an AmEx - Mastercard and Visa are more widely accepted

Most economies are actually less cash intensive than the States, so breaking large bills can be a problem. A rule of thumb is to try not to use a bill larger than twice the cost - so don't pay a 30 Euro meal with a 100 Euro bill.

And in case you don't know, there is no Euro bill smaller than 5 Euro, so you will need to hang on to some 1 or 2 Euro coins for smaller tips :) Get used to it, I'm sure the US Treasury will be sucessful in dumping the 1 dollar bill sooner or later....

Credit cards in Euro areas... is Chip & PIN common or is that more of a UK thing? At ForEx booth at airport earlier this week I saw they had a sign for pre-paid credit cards with chip & PIN. I had heard that US cards frequently will not work except in ATM machines due to not having the chip in them. Thought that was a nice idea for temporary ones except that I suspect the exchange rate that would be used would not be as good as my regular Visa card.

Last TA we mostly used credit card but did carry a few € and £ especially in London post cruise. Exchanged on ship but then scrambled to use it all before flight home.

Ditto on informing bank of travel plans. My brother had huge issue for half our So. Carib. cruise - could not use card on islands until bank updated usage area. My Credit Union is very good about clearing usage in various countries so never had that problem.

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I was in Turkey several years ago the bazaars had prices listed in euros and dollars the same. A scarf might be $5 or 5 euro. Since the exchange rate was around $1.60 = 1 euro, we used dollars there for purchases.

Hopefully a more recent visitor can clarify whether that is still the case. The conversion this morning is showing $1.37 = 1 euro so using dollars would be your better bargain.

You'll get the best exchange rate at an ATM but, as has already been mentioned, you need a card with a 4 digit pin. The ship will exchange currency but their rates are not favorable. It's near impossible to exchange coins so if you get any larger denomination coins, use them up or consider them as play money for the kids/grandkids.

Have a great trip............. I'm green with envy!

Chip and pin is becoming more prevalent in Europe too.

I would definitely carry some euro as often shops have a minimum purchase value for credit cards, and some smaller restaurants are still cash oriented outside of tourist areas. You may often come across markets as well and while some vendors will have pdq machines, cash will be more welcome.

I'm sure you will hear this again before you travel but be REALLY careful with carrying cash in Rome and just take one credit card out and about with you - lots of pickpockets.

Fab trip tho, have fun!

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I was in Turkey several years ago the bazaars had prices listed in euros and dollars the same. A scarf might be $5 or 5 euro. Since the exchange rate was around $1.60 = 1 euro, we used dollars there for purchases.

Hopefully a more recent visitor can clarify whether that is still the case. The conversion this morning is showing $1.37 = 1 euro so using dollars would be your better bargain.

We were there last December and didn't see this. We typically saw something like 5 Euro or $6. May have been a slight advantage to using USD because the exchange rate at the time was about $1.35 to 1 Euro, but not like your experience.

Besides, if all I had was Euros you can bet I would be haggling the price down to the equivalent in $ if they it posted that way.

You can order Euros through local banks and credit unions, but they will charge you a fee and you usually get a poor exchange rate. You will get a better exchange rate if you use an ATM near the port, especially if your ATM card is from a bank that does not charge a fee and reimburses you for fees charged by other banks.

I believe you can also use your credit or debit card to buy train tickets in the train station (the booth selling tickets near the port was cash only,) but remember that most credit cards charge a foreign transaction fee of 2% to 3%.

You will not need Turkish liras if you are just in Turkey for the day. When we were there everyone seemed to accept Euros, even in the bazaar.

We were in Egypt for 10 days and used ATMs to obtain Egyptian pounds so I am not sure whether they will accept Euros or dollars. One downside of Egyptian ATMs is that they give you large bills and it is hard to get change. And you will need change if you want to go to the bathroom! The attendants would accept Egyptian pounds at the time were worth about $.07, but would not accept foreign coins, only foreign bills.

As others have said, be sure to notify your bank and credit card companies that you are going out of the country and where you are going.

. It's near impossible to exchange coins so if you get any larger denomination coins, use them up or consider them as play money for the kids/grandkids.

use your loose coins as tips! no need to worry about any 10% or 15 % at the end of a meal, they are grateful for any small token of appreciation for service and will not be offended if you tip a euro or a handful of loose change ;)

use your loose coins as tips! no need to worry about any 10% or 15 % at the end of a meal, they are grateful for any small token of appreciation for service and will not be offended if you tip a euro or a handful of loose change ;)

Almost missed your wink.Whew.

You'll get the best exchange rate at an ATM but, as has already been mentioned, you need a card with a 4 digit pin. The ship will exchange currency but their rates are not favorable. It's near impossible to exchange coins so if you get any larger denomination coins, use them up or consider them as play money for the kids/grandkids.

Unless there have been some changes in the last couple/few years, the 4 digit PIN cannot have a "zero" as the first digit. If yours does, inquire with your bank if it will work internationally.

Ray in NH

We did a similar cruise in 2010. Bought Euros before we left so we had money available without having to look for an ATM when we were tired from the overnight transatlantic flight.

We were able to purchase Airport to Rome/Termini (Leonardo Express) train tickets with our credit card (not chip/pin) at the ticket booth which was staffed. Used our MasterCard and Visa all over Rome though many places really wanted cash and would issue a surcharge if we wanted to use a credit card. Thus we tended to spend more Euros than we thought we would.

We exchanged money on the ship and actually found the exchange rate to be fair/reasonable.

We used Euros in Turkey and we asked if they accepted them first. In Egypt the camel drivers wanted USD and we tipped the tour guides in Euros.

The best is to have small bills ($1 or 1 Euro coins, $5, $10) so you won't need change back.

Also do call your credit card company and tell them you are going away.

It's near impossible to exchange coins so if you get any larger denomination coins, use them up or consider them as play money for the kids/grandkids.

Play money ...oh, my!

I have euros left over from last trip, they stay in my Europe wallet...British pounds in my Great Britian wallet...even Mexican pesos in my Mexico wallet. Real money is for real traveling.

No need to rush to an airport ATM since i always have a few coins and small bills left over from year to year.

My friend was getting ready to toss loose change into the collection that airlines collect for charity. I stopped her and counted out how much change she was tossing - all those 2 euro coins and all amounted to over 30 dollars. She pays attention to coins now. Its not just a little bit of change.

We each wrote a check to UNICEF instead.

Archived