Paint on your car

papae

Sounds like somebody was painting a nearby building, and it was windy. Not usually a problem - it's probably latex.

Bring your car to a good detail shop, and have them "clay" it, then give it a good waxing. You'll probably pay them around $150. You can do it yourself too, but it's a lot of work. Go to an automotive parts store and buy a "clay bar". It's like Plato - you just rub it, using a spray solution with it, on the car. It takes off the overspray. But, it also takes off the wax, so you'll need to wax it afterwards.

Any questions, just ask! DH and I own an automotive painting company down here in Florida. Happy to help! :)

the pier is adjacent to the Bayonne Dry Dock company and sometimes they paint ships...

yes, sometimes paint overspray gets on cars, but they are not always painting ships ..

that said, the drydock company does pay to repair the damage...and please note that RCI doesn't own the pier, parking or drydock.....

hth

Primer from the working dock yard. We had our car "clay barred." It still looks like that old metallic style paint job. To get the primer completely out - they would have had to strip to bare metal and start over.

The dockyard did pay - but it was a tremendous pain in the backside - and not a great way to finish a lovely vacation. :(

Two years ago we had overspray damage. It was on the glass as well. Contacted the drydock company and they paid my dealer by credit card to claybar the entire car. We're going on Explorer again in December and purchased a disposable car cover for protection.

We've parked there for the past 4 cruises and never had an issue. Additionally my in-laws have parked there on 4 other occasions when they had the gall to cruise without us ;) and they haven't ever had it happen either.

Get a car cover to use if you're worried. Easy way to avoid the potential worry and hassle - if it worries you that much just spend the money to have the peace of mind.

And bon voyage!!

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone post a link to a disposable car cover they've used and liked? There is a wide range of prices/qualities. I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Hi,

We bought our car cover at Walmart. I think it was around $25. There was one problem. When we paid for our parking we told them that we would be using a car cover. This was about a year ago. Upon our return the cover was removed & just hanging on. We don't know if they were looking for a paid ticket or what. Although we had great weather during our cruise. There was very heavy rain in Jersey that week so there was no problem. We bought the cover in the first place since our friends car had the overspray problem. We will continue to drive the extra hr & cruise out of Baltimore since this is a major concern of mine.

Enjoy your cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Archived