Probably a not-so-smartphone question

NCTribeFan

So, I've had this phone for nearly a year and I still don't know what I'm doing half the time. :o

When it was brand new, I sailed to Hawaii last year from San Diego. When I boarded the ship, I turned off ALL the functions that I thought could possibly cause me to incur lots of international and data roaming charges. I used the phone as a camera while on board.

Of course, once in Hawaii, I turned it on and made phone calls back home, all without any fees.

Now, when I reach Bermuda on Wednesday morning, if I turn my phone on to try to send an international text message, will it try to "catch up" all the things I've had turned off, and I'll get a bill for hundreds of dollars just because I tried to use it to text my DD that I'm alive?

Your phone will only work here if you have international roaming activated. If you switch this on and use your phone in Bermuda it will do what you suspect it will, and "catch up". You can avoid this by switching data off so it doesn't fetch all your emails.

Thanks. I think I understand.

My phone is also supposed to have wi-fi calling, so if I'm somewhere that has free wi-fi, maybe I could call.

Then again, I'm on vacation. There is absolutely NO need for me to call anyone (or for them to call me) unless there is an emergency.

I think the phone will just stay in flight-mode, and I'll turn off all the auto-sync things.

Archived