Favourite book for holidays

Essexlass2

What's your favourite book to take on a two week holiday?

I've just finished reading 'Yannis' by Beryl Darby, a very long book but could hardly put it down so it was read in double quick time!

Is the library on Azura a lending or an exchange library? :)

What's your favourite book to take on a two week holiday?

I've just finished reading 'Yannis' by Beryl Darby, a very long book but could hardly put it down so it was read in double quick time!

Is the library on Azura a lending or an exchange library? :)

Is that the same Yannis who went to live on Spinalonga, the leper colony off Crete?

I've just loaded my new kindle for the cruise. I ordered this one as it sounds funny :) http://www.amazon.co.uk/At-Sea-Laurie-Graham/dp/0857381350/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318774536&sr=1-1

Read Chart Throb by Ben Elton last cruise and loved it. Its a comic take on the x factor style of program and apparently Simon Cowel asked Ben how he managed to get so much inside information. Read it and you can never watch the X Factor in the same way.

Is it better than watching X-Factor I wonder. The novelty has worn off! However, the book by Ben Elton could be good.

And, yes, Yannis is about the man who spent many years on the island of Spinalonga in Crete, fabulous book, very long story so thick paperback but I read it in record time :cool:

You must read "Here Come The Girls" by Millie Johnson

Chic lit but set on a cruise! Ms Johnson is apparently a big fan of cruises and P&O in particular - and it shows!

Some of the character types are instantly recognisable! You can tell she's writing from experience.

Good, fun read for hols - especially a cruise!

Is it better than watching X-Factor I wonder. The novelty has worn off! However, the book by Ben Elton could be good.

And, yes, Yannis is about the man who spent many years on the island of Spinalonga in Crete, fabulous book, very long story so thick paperback but I read it in record time :cool:

I thoroughly enjoyed it too, but not quite as much as The Island, by Victoria Hislop, about the same thing - the leper colony, but different characters.

We visited Spinalonga a couple of years ago. It was fantastic. The ruins of the hospital and streets are still there, in fact they are being restored due to the success of the book. :)

You must read "Here Come The Girls" by Millie Johnson

Chic lit but set on a cruise! Ms Johnson is apparently a big fan of cruises and P&O in particular - and it shows!

Some of the character types are instantly recognisable! You can tell she's writing from experience.

Good, fun read for hols - especially a cruise!

Thanks for that. I've just downloaded it. I hadn't seen that one.

Milly Johnson lives near me. ;)

I always take a book and never read it.:)

Never have time, even when I am sat round the pool I always get distracted by something going on and when I am not distracted I always have good intensions but I put my I pod in and the next thing I am asleep.

I read at home and on land based holidays but cruising .........

The best book I have ever read is The Day of the Jackal.......

I usually read a book a day on holiday. I took my e-reader once, but found it less convenient than a book, so I take about 6-8 with me and borrow the rest from the library.

I can't say I have a favourite, though do like Tess Gerritsen. I read Here come the girls but didn't find it held my attention.

My best book is my Kindle. No more big books but still have plenty with me to read.

I bought an e-reader specifically because I was going on a cruise without a library, and am now hooked on having it. Even better, my dyslexic partner has now started reading regularly because the grey screen is easier to read than the white pages of a book.

I always 3 or 4 paperbacks from a charity shop. (Would not been seen dead with a Kindle or such like sorry)

When Its finished I leave it in the library or somwhere for others to read, which also makes my suitcase lighter for the journey home.

keeping one book back for the return journey of course..

I'm liking all this Kindle love, well mostly.

I've put off buying one until now; wondering whether an ipad would be better, but I can see how much better the Kindle is for the purpose. So easy to buy books too. (Too easy)

I just wish I would stop trying to operate it by touch screen :rolleyes:

I thoroughly enjoyed it too, but not quite as much as The Island, by Victoria Hislop, about the same thing - the leper colony, but different characters.

We visited Spinalonga a couple of years ago. It was fantastic. The ruins of the hospital and streets are still there, in fact they are being restored due to the success of the book. :)

The story of Yannis is mostly set before the period of The Island but I couldn't put either book down, so interesting. We too visited Spinalonga three years ago, very interesting, and we went back to Elounda again last month. A Greek company have built a filmset there of how Spinalonga must have been and they have filmed a series of The Island for Greek television. It has now been bought by the BBC so we are eagerly waiting news of an English version appearing on our screens.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a Kindle but I get most of my books either from charity shops or the library.

There is a small libuary on Azura .. yes its a lending libuary you can have two books you show your cruise card to borrow them.

What happens if you've not finished reading a book before the end of the cruise? It would surely be like coming out of a cinema before the end of a film :eek:

I always 3 or 4 paperbacks from a charity shop. (Would not been seen dead with a Kindle or such like sorry)

When Its finished I leave it in the library or somwhere for others to read, which also makes my suitcase lighter for the journey home.

keeping one book back for the return journey of course..

Why would you not be seen dead with a Kindle?

It's the best thing we've ever bought!!!! (especially as our last non-cruise holiday we only had 16kgs of luggage for 2 weeks) I load it up with books before I travel and then I decide what I want to read, when I want to read it.

The story of Yannis is mostly set before the period of The Island but I couldn't put either book down, so interesting. We too visited Spinalonga three years ago, very interesting, and we went back to Elounda again last month. A Greek company have built a filmset there of how Spinalonga must have been and they have filmed a series of The Island for Greek television. It has now been bought by the BBC so we are eagerly waiting news of an English version appearing on our screens.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a Kindle but I get most of my books either from charity shops or the library.

Did you also go to Plaka? Elounda is beautiful isn't it?

I look forward to seeing that on TV. I thought it would make a great film.

I don't think Kindles will ever replace books, but for a holiday or travelling they are a great idea, and no different to having digital music on an ipod.

I was really surprised how many free kindle books there are on Amazon.

Why would you not be seen dead with a Kindle?

It's the best thing we've ever bought!!!! (especially as our last non-cruise holiday we only had 16kgs of luggage for 2 weeks) I load it up with books before I travel and then I decide what I want to read, when I want to read it.

Because I would rather read a book than read a fashion statement

Did you also go to Plaka? Elounda is beautiful isn't it?

I look forward to seeing that on TV. I thought it would make a great film.

I don't think Kindles will ever replace books, but for a holiday or travelling they are a great idea, and no different to having digital music on an ipod.

I was really surprised how many free kindle books there are on Amazon.

Yes, we did also go to Plaka and its not changed too much at all since our visit there three years ago. I think Yannis would make an even better film as its his life story and how the leprosy affected the lives of all concerned as well as the lack of help and compassion shown by the Greek government.

I'm hoping that maybe someone will treat me to a Kindle for Christmas ;)

Yes, we did also go to Plaka and its not changed too much at all since our visit there three years ago. I think Yannis would make an even better film as its his life story and how the leprosy affected the lives of all concerned as well as the lack of help and compassion shown by the Greek government.

I'm hoping that maybe someone will treat me to a Kindle for Christmas ;)

I'll let you know how I get on with mine. I haven't read anything on it yet, other than the user guide.

My initial concern is not being able to see how much of a book I have left; I don't think the progress bar at the bottom will be quite the same as looking how many pages you have left.

I think the benefit will be that if I don't like a book I've taken it's not wasted space. 6-8 books take up a lot of space in a 23kg case.

I love the feel of a book. I was Librarian at school and a Kindle goes against all I love about books, but I've adapted well to iTunes music and wouldn't think of buying a hard copy of an album now.

Fashion statement? A kindle ? Am I missing something here ? All it is is a very clever way to carry a pile of books around without the weight ! Another librarian here, retired now , adore books , love the feel and smell of a new one , but when I travel I wouldn't be without my kindle. Sue .

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Archived