Favourite book for holidays

Essexlass2

We've downloaded lots of the free classics, so that there's always something to fall back on if there's no good reading material left in the library.

A Kindle's also useful for a long train journey, and it doesn't make OH feel queasy on the long coach ride to Southampton, which books did....plus you can increase the size of the print, so it's good for dark places.

Our part-sighted friend finds he's able to enjoy reading again, and he can read the lessons in church, which was beyond him before. It's also very useful for an aged relative, both for the print size option, and because it's much lighter to hold.

The Kindle has much to offer, but I doubt it will take the place of the hundreds of books we have.

Jo.

Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead with a Kindle either - it's greatly inferior to most other makes, and Amazon is becoming very Microsoft-like in its insistence on having a proprietary format and squeezing other manufacturers out of the game. Give me a Sony any day.

Because I would rather read a book than read a fashion statement

Sorry am I missing something here?? How can a Kindle be a fashion statement. It's a great piece of kit that saves loads of weight when travelling. If you keep it in a leather case it even feels like a book when you read it. Also we've got waterproof cases for ours which is great when you are sat round a pool and kids are splashing water all around - no more soggy pages!!!

I was brought at Kindle for Christmas so looking forward to taking it with me on my up coming Cruise on Azura

have download 3 Books , just in case I don't get along with one of them have back up, should be much

easier than have to trudge paperbacks along, try to find some with holiday theme

so went for At Sea Laurie Graham, Postcards from the Heart Ella Griffin and White Lies and Custard Cream Susan Allison ,

My all time favourite holiday read was A Thousand Splendid Suns wonderful stuff. The Island by Victoria Hislop and Shell Seekers close behind.

happy reading everyone paperback or e - reader.

Mrs Blue Sky

My all time favourite holiday read was A Thousand Splendid Suns wonderful stuff. The Island by Victoria Hislop and Shell Seekers close behind.

happy reading everyone paperback or e - reader.

Mrs Blue Sky

A Thousand Splendid Suns is also amongst my favourite cruise reading. Also read Here Come The Girls having read about it in the Portunus magazine. Thought it was very thin but as I was on Azura at the time could visualise it all down to the Canadian ice wine in the Glass House / Cafe Parisenne which was my favourite too! Would recommend The Help and The Return of Captain John Emmett.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is also amongst my favourite cruise reading. Also read Here Come The Girls having read about it in the Portunus magazine. Thought it was very thin but as I was on Azura at the time could visualise it all down to the Canadian ice wine in the Glass House / Cafe Parisenne which was my favourite too! Would recommend The Help and The Return of Captain John Emmett.

Who wrote these two books please?

Who wrote these two books please?

Afternoon Essexlass,

A thousand Splendid Suns is by Khaled Hosseini , he also wrote

The Kite Runner, and Here come the girls is Milly Johnson. The Return of Capt

J. Emmett is Elizabeth Spiller :)

hope that helps

Mrs Blue Sky

What's your favourite book to take on a two week holiday?

Any 'weighty tome', really. If it's by one of my favourite authors, so much the better. I took Neal Stephenson's 'Anathem' on a cruise - that kept me quiet for over a week - and also 'The Command of the Ocean', a history of the Royal Navy from 1649 to 1815.

Hello Mrs Blue Sky, thanks for the info :)

I see you and Mr Blue Sky will be sailing on Azura just before us. I hope you have a wonderful time. It will be our first cruise on her, in fact our first P&O cruise. :cool:

Thank Essexlass, yes really looking forward to Azura flying from East Midlands Airport, its our first with P&O also , wishing you a lovely holiday

aboard her as well :)

If you've got the 3G Kindle, not only does it carry all your books, but you can sit out on deck and connect to the internet for your e-mails - all for free, saving a fortune in the Cyber room, that is if you usually pay for it. I don't, I use the free P&O site, but will be taking my Kindle from nowon.

fashion statement? What a strange idea?

If you've got the 3G Kindle, not only does it carry all your books, but you can sit out on deck and connect to the internet for your e-mails - all for free, saving a fortune in the Cyber room, that is if you usually pay for it. I don't, I use the free P&O site, but will be taking my Kindle from nowon.

fashion statement? What a strange idea?

Don't you have to connect to the ship's wifi on the kindle to read emails?

That would be excellent if that's possible :confused:

Don't you have to connect to the ship's wifi on the kindle to read emails?

That would be excellent if that's possible :confused:

The 3G will only work in port (or very close to land) , won't it? It has to be somewhere where it has a line-of-sight to a transmitter, I think.

Otherwise, yes, you do have to connect to the ship's wifi, in which case you've got to pay.

Archived