Confused about dining - Anytime vs traditional

tcs1366

This will be our first Princess cruise,

on our Booking Summary, it only says, Confirmed for 5:30, Request 6pm - WAITLIST.

How do I know which dining we have, and if i get traditional, can I do the "Anytime" on certain days? sorta switch back and forth, or do I have to stay in the Traditional all the days I go to a dining room?

My guess is... If I choose Anytime, I can't do the Traditional, as there will not be a 'waiting table' so to speak.

any info would be great.

Right now, you have traditional, confirmed for the 5:30 seating and on the waitlist for the 6pm. If you are moved off the waitlist, you'll either be notified or see it when you get your cruise card.

If you have traditional, you should either plan to stick to it or change to anytime. Otherwise, if traditional people show up at the anytime dining rooms, it makes the wait longer for people who selected anytime. It also leaves any other people at your table alone and possibly waiting for you.

Oh, and if you do switch to anytime, be certain you'll be happy with that decision -- you'll probably be waitlisted if you want to switch back.

Right now you have 5:30. You may receive word ahead of time that you've been moved to 6. My suggestion (if you don't like 5:30) would be to see the maitre 'd as soon as possible after boarding. If you have traditional (assigned dining) you don't have ANYTIME and can't switch back and forth. That would overcrowd ANYTIME and your traditional seating would be sitting there empty.

If you do ANYTIME you can ask for a certain table/waiter/time each night sort of making a "reservation" which will still often time mean a wait.

Thanks... that is sort of what i figured.

the couple we are traveling with have 6pm. DH and I actually prefer 5:30

guess we will see how it turns out... maybe we can convince them to switch to Anytime... it seems much more flexible... and on days you dont want to have a 'dinner' - our table would not be sitting empty.

If you do the Anytime Dining -- is it like calling to make a reservation? or you can also just show up and wait for a table if one is not available.

DH and I generally like eating earlier over later.

If you do the Anytime Dining -- is it like calling to make a reservation? or you can also just show up and wait for a table if one is not available.

DH and I generally like eating earlier over later.

In general, they will not take reservations during the busiest times, i.e. between 6 and 8. If you like eating earlier, you can go right when they open at 5.30 and you'll probably be seated quite quickly with the first wave. If you have to wait, they give you a little pager and you can wander off and find a martini with which to pass the time. If you want a table for two, by the way, the wait will be a little longer than if you're willing to share, as there aren't as many tables for 2. Hope this helps.

guess we will see how it turns out... maybe we can convince them to switch to Anytime... it seems much more flexible... and on days you dont want to have a 'dinner' - our table would not be sitting empty.

You need to talk with your friends about their preferences. Most people who choose Traditional do so because it gives them a set time to dine and also a set of people to dine with where the conversation can advance throughout the cruise as you become better acquainted. The other advantage is the wait staff learns of your preferences and will start accomodating them without having to ask every night, making it a much more pampered experience.

We've switched to Anytime but find we really don't like having to wait for a table, often going to the buffet in Horizon Court / Cafe Caribe to be able to eat in a reasonable period of time. We rarely eat in the Main Dining Room with Anytime dining. We've also found that many opportunities for dancing are available early evening when Traditional dining is in progress, so it becomes a trade-off.

If you choose Traditional Dining, then stick with it, as this is courteous to the others at your table for reasons I've mentioned above.

Obviously you would like to dine with your friends.

Have you had your bookings linked so that Princess knows to seat you at the same table at the same traditional time?

If not, contact Princess (if booked directly with them) or both of your travel agents to have the bookings linked.

I have seen on some very busy nights at the anytime restaurants, the maitre'd tell in a very polite fashion that a traditional dining cruiser was at the wrong restaurant. On not so busy nights it was not an issue.

I usually do anytime dining because I like the flexibility.

Obviously you would like to dine with your friends.

Have you had your bookings linked so that Princess knows to seat you at the same table at the same traditional time?

If not, contact Princess (if booked directly with them) or both of your travel agents to have the bookings linked.

I do believe they are linked. They booked months ago, and we just did a week ago. We booked thru Princess, they thru a TA, or on line site.

and I do hear ya on how the wait staff learns your preferences... that was always a nice touch.

If you choose Traditional Dining, then stick with it, as this is courteous to the others at your table for reasons I've mentioned above.

Absolutely correct. We switched tables because only one other couple at our 10 chair table showed up during the first three days. I thought that the no-shows were very impolite towards the four of us and towards the anytime passengers who were waiting outside the Dining Room in a line while our table sat 60% empty.

On Holland America, those seats were given to anytime diners. Their passengers may have been more polite or more experienced and might have informed the maitre d' that they would dine elsewhere.

You need to talk with your friends about their preferences. Most people who choose Traditional do so because it gives them a set time to dine and also a set of people to dine with where the conversation can advance throughout the cruise as you become better acquainted. The other advantage is the wait staff learns of your preferences and will start accomodating them without having to ask every night, making it a much more pampered experience.

We've switched to Anytime but find we really don't like having to wait for a table, often going to the buffet in Horizon Court / Cafe Caribe to be able to eat in a reasonable period of time. We rarely eat in the Main Dining Room with Anytime dining. We've also found that many opportunities for dancing are available early evening when Traditional dining is in progress, so it becomes a trade-off.

We ahd always had Traditional dining before but on our December cruise, which we booked pretty late, landed on a waitlist and ended up stuck with Anytime Dining. We ended up eating half of the dinners on a 14 day cruise in the Horizon. We only really had one week, but we missed not having the same waitstaff and tablemates. The service seemed rushed and disorganized. It just didn't seem special at all.

Archived