Which airlines still serve free hot meals?

dsclark

I was on a non stop AA flight x country two years ago and I got a free meal. I heard they stopped that. Delta is a bit ambiguous with their new policy (I am flying them from San Francsico to Honolulu this summer).

I know many have stopped free hot meal service. I am just wondering- who still offers it?

the only one who still serves a meal of some type is continental. If you are in first class you usually always get a hot meal service . In coach it is usually some type of hot or cold sandwich. Hot is chicken or meatloaf sandwich or a turkey, or turkey pastrami cold cut sandwich. Both come with chips, chocolate and carrots.

We just got off a flight on Delta. It was the best flight we have ever been on. We had one hot meal and a snack before we landed. The flight was from Atlanta to Honolulu I don't know if this makes a differance.

We just got off a flight on Delta. It was the best flight we have ever been on. We had one hot meal and a snack before we landed. The flight was from Atlanta to Honolulu I don't know if this makes a differance.

That makes a huge difference. If you are on the Song flights food is available for purchase. HI is a high revenue flight load so the food tends to be better on those flights than to Vegas for example.

San fran the flight is not as long and there were debates regarding stopping or reducing the food offerings on those flights

• 3 weeks later...

I am wondering about food also. We can eat at SFO before boarding the plane but leave at 10am have just an hour lay over in Atlanta and don't land until 8:21pm. After checking into the hotel we can take a taxi some place to get something to eat it just makes a long day without food. I would even buy it if they have some for purchase. We will be flying Delta.

I think on international flights, some airlines still serve hot meals. Our last international flights were in Dec 2003 and Jan 2004, on AA, and we had hot dinners and breakfasts, one of the few redeeming features of an international "red-eye" flight, IMO!:rolleyes:

I think on international flights, some airlines still serve hot meals. Our last international flights were in Dec 2003 and Jan 2004, on AA, and we had hot dinners and breakfasts, one of the few redeeming features of an international "red-eye" flight, IMO!:rolleyes:
Well, if you're talking about flights outside the US, you're talking about a different ball game altogether. On many airlines, you still get a hot meal on meal-time flights that are as short as an hour.

...1st class, even coast-to-coast, plops the standard cardboard box (for sale in coach) down in front of you. sure, you still get "bar service", and they still hang up your coat, as well, the seating is more comfortable.....gone are the days of hot towels, reading material, appetizers, hot meal, ice cream sundae - cardboard! grrrrrrrr.......it is all about the flight revenue -- heard pillows 'n blankets are gonna be the next elimination:mad:

To Europe in ENVOY CLASS is still a 1st class experience with all the amenities (including cappuchino);)

...1st class' date=' even coast-to-coast, plops the standard cardboard box (for sale in coach) down in front of you. sure, you still get "bar service", and they still hang up your coat, as well, the seating is more comfortable.....gone are the days of hot towels, reading material, appetizers, hot meal, ice cream sundae - cardboard! grrrrrrrr.......it is all about the flight revenue -- heard pillows 'n blankets are gonna be the next elimination:mad:

To Europe in ENVOY CLASS is still a 1st class experience with all the amenities (including cappuchino);)[/quote']

Traveling international is still great - (in most cases this still high rev)

Continental domestic still does the hot towels (the nuts are cold now :( ) you get a choice of a meals something hot or a shrimp/chicken salad and some flights do the warm cookies. Sundaes late at night sometimes

US Scareways should have been gone for a while now. They have managed to cling on by their fingernails

We are flying Hawaiian Airlines from Portland, Oregon to Honolulu on Sunday. They serve a hot meal both ways, but I'm wondering if they charge for a bottle of water, or juice, or soda?

Does anyone just take a couple bottles of water on board?

Thank you!

dani

Traveling international is still great - (in most cases this still high rev)

Continental domestic still does the hot towels (the nuts are cold now :( ) you get a choice of a meals something hot or a shrimp/chicken salad and some flights do the warm cookies. Sundaes late at night sometimes

US Scareways should have been gone for a while now. They have managed to cling on by their fingernails

Wish Continental were a hub for me - alas, I am in the PHL hub for US....tis noteworthy to hear 'bout the hot towels, etc. I miss that level of domestic amenity! u r correct about "...been gone..." I've been burning my miles Just in Case:rolleyes: but now I hear they are in talks w/America West. tnx f/the CO update:)

We are flying Hawaiian Airlines from Portland, Oregon to Honolulu on Sunday. They serve a hot meal both ways, but I'm wondering if they charge for a bottle of water, or juice, or soda?

Does anyone just take a couple bottles of water on board?

Thank you!

dani

All of the airlines will give you a choice of a cup of soda/juice/coffee (if you request sometimes they will give you the whole can)

I like to drink a lot of water so I always bring a litter of water on board with me. I usually have a ziploc bag of mixed nuts as well with me. Bring the water with you since buying at the airport can set you back $2 - $4

I would be cranky if US was my hub. :p , I'm a Continental gal since I have to travel at min once a month for work they are perfect for me. US Air is not a thought - I despise United and will tolerate Delta (like SONG) and American. I've been burning through my miles the past year.

America Worst and US Scareways merger gives me the chills no amentities on late arrivals :D

wish us luck for Friday - we are PHL to SFO with return on Monday. did a mileage upgrade, for whatever good twill do us:mad: I'd like to make a brief report on how it goes if y'all care to hear?

I do envy you CO-fliers.....but when you have a hub close, it pays to fly that airline to get those desireable Non Stops + e-savers ;)

SFO wkend wx doesn't look very exciting -- any comments?

Does anyone know anything about KLM airlines? I will be flying from Seattle to Amsterdam non stop and then on to Barcelona. I hope its a good one, I will be flying solo:eek:

Carrie

International still serves meals, even for those of us back in steerage. A particular new development though is that the US domestic airlines (i.e. American, Continental, etc.) that fly international are starting to charge for alcoholoic drinks back in coach on overseas flights where-as alocholoic drinks used to be gratis.

PHL-SFO-PHL - used miles to upgrade to 1st class. boo-hiss...Got the standard cardboard box - WHO decided to make a sandwich out of raison bread w/a smear of cream cheese and one almost invisible slice of ham ??? yuck! The "fruit bowl" was wilted and contained ONE grape! oi vey....such an insult....would have been very upset to have been charged $7 for this fare:mad: Wish Continental had a hub in PHL:rolleyes: p.s. the coffee is hardly worth drinking, either!grrrrr....

I flew 1st clas on AA from Chi to Reno last december. Got hot mixed nuts and a meal consisting of salad, filet mignon, and a desert consisting of pecan praline icecream on top of frozen strawberries. I guess it was a bit better than what you'd get on US Air.

Update on Delta:

I talked to a csr. She sounded like she was sourced from Sri Lanka, so it was real hard to understand what she was saying. The website says snack (I am flying from 'Frisco to Honolulu), but she said I will be given a cold meal, though she didn't know what it would be (sounds spooky). Whenever I fly, I pick up some lunchables from Walmart and mid flight, pass'em out to the family while other passengers are dining on nuts. I think my upcoming flight with Delta will be no different.

Just a little off subject but about 22 years ago I flew TWA from NY to SF. I was a college student with not much flying experience. I remember there was a buffet on the plane. It was breakfast foods, fresh fruit, etc. I remember knocking my bagel off of my plate and into the hollowed-out watermelon bowl. It was truly one of the stupidest ideas I'd ever seen. I later found out this was not typical and must have been an experiment. I just wonder if anyone has ever had this experience before.

Archived