Elegant Night or Not?

jtdlmc

Elegant, formal or not?  

677 members have voted

1. 1. Elegant, formal or not?

• Go back to Formal Night where everyone dresses in gowns and tuxes.
    • Keep it how it is but enforce the dress code.
    • Have an "elegant or not night" - nice jeans would be acceptable.
    • Have one dining room formal and the other not for elegant night.

The MDR may not be one of the finest restaurants in the world, but it is certainly not Fridays, Applebees or any of the myriad of chain restaurants one is expected to wear jeans and a t-shirt to.

The decor is there, the ambiance is there, the waitstaff is dressed accordingly and the food is on a higher scale (or for those of you who think not, it is MEANT to be on a higher scale) and it is meant to be a fine dining experience.

If you want to wear your bathing suit, your cutoffs, your jeans and t-shirts with messages on them, that's what the Lido is for. I travel with teenagers who have no problem putting on a nice shirt and a pair of khakis, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. A rolled up pair of khakis doesn't take up any more space than a rolled up pair of jeans and will weigh less.

The MDR may not be one of the finest restaurants in the world, but it is certainly not Fridays, Applebees or any of the myriad of chain restaurants one is expected to wear jeans and a t-shirt to.

The decor is there, the ambiance is there, the waitstaff is dressed accordingly and the food is on a higher scale (or for those of you who think not, it is MEANT to be on a higher scale) and it is meant to be a fine dining experience.

So.....

Waiters singing poorly

Dancing waiters on tables

Announcements over the PA

Photo ops by photographers (strictly for mega profit)

Dancing thru the aisles

...is ambiance that is on par with a fine dining establishment?:confused:

As far as decor,you must have not seen the grapes have you?

I voted for a return to Elegance.

Look at it this way......If a couple appeared on the lido deck buffet for dinner dressed in "elegant attire" wouldn't it rather odd and out of place?

The same can be said if a couple showed up in the MDR is shorts, t-shirts, and sandals - it's just odd and out of place.

I now prefer NOT to do elegant anymore. The limitations on luggage is one reason, and it gets old after so many cruises.

You really don't have much of a choice when it comes to dinner in MDR or Lido. CCL Lido leaves a lot to be desired at dinner time.

If CCL wants to enforce the dress code on elegant nites, the alternative dining should be revved up.

I love formal/elegant night. I have a few occasions a year to dress up. But on a cruise with my family. It is special. It is part of the whole cruise package to me. We get dressed go to dinner, get some great pictures (memories). Personally I don't care what anyone else does.

I can understand SOME of the arguments about flying and baggage charges. But I think most of my dresses weight less than a pair of jeans. And the talk of spending $100s on formal (elegant) outfits I don't understand. Are these people who feel walking into the MDR in shorts, jeans or flip flops too proud to visit Ross, Marshalls or TJ Max?

For my parents 50th wedding anniversary cruise I purchased my eldest son a suit at the Hospice thirft store for less than $15 bucks. He wore it once but we have such great pictures of that night. And that cruise was on NCL which for any future cruise would be my absolute LAST CHOICE for a cruise. CCL buffet beat their MDR hands down. Maybe if passengers feel they don't need to put in any effort, the MDR staff does the same. Don't know the reason, but that food was awful! And from my research most NCL cruises (except for the new mega ships) are cheaper than CCL. We could have gone much cheaper on the Sky but choose to pay more for the Destiny.

Guess taste is subjective.

I now prefer NOT to do elegant anymore. The limitations on luggage is one reason, and it gets old after so many cruises.

You really don't have much of a choice when it comes to dinner in MDR or Lido. CCL Lido leaves a lot to be desired at dinner time.

If CCL wants to enforce the dress code on elegant nites, the alternative dining should be revved up.

Not everyone has taken so many cruises that is old for them though.

Everyone can think what they want, but how others around you are dressed does impact your dining experience. They could serve the same food as the buffet and it would seem nicer because it is being served to you, it is presented nicely on the plate, the lighting, etc. One of those factors is that everyone is dressed nicely and not wearing shorts or swimsuit coverups.

I agree that there may be some benefit to having other alternatives for people who do not want to dress up, but there already is an extensive buffet on the lido deck (although I have not eaten there at dinner as we always go to mdr. Maybe it could be improved upon?), room service, and people can carry out lobster from mdr. I just think it is inconsiderate to show up wearing jeans when it is supposed to be elegant night and other diners have made an effort to look nice.

The irony about this is that maybe 15 years ago you'd be thrown out on your ass, if you tried what some people try now on those nights.

I understand not liking it, I'm not crazy about it (mainly havin to take pictures), but at the same time, you need some standards because if you don't, and you don't enforce them, people come in looking like total slobs. I would say, leave it at what you would be expected to wear in a quality restaurant.

If you want to dress like you're going to Golden Corral, go upstairs to their version of Golden Corral...

If you think the MDR is fine dining, you need to step up your restaurants.

Part of the reason it isn't (hence I used "quality"), is that the people allow it to be that way. I think a slippage in who shows up and how they shows up correlates with a slippage in what they get served.

obviously, you do not know the difference between eating and dining. your loss.

COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!!! You (H82seaUgo) took the words right out of my mouth! IMHO, WHERE you are dining should dictate (to a certain extent) how you dress for the occasion!!! DH & I will be going on our 1st cruise this Thursday (10/20/2011) & I plan on not only wearing a evening gown for elegant night (dh is going to wear his best suit), I also plan on wearing a nice "coctail dress" for the other 3 nights! We RARELY get a chance to dress up when we're at home but, in the event that we're invited to a nice dinner/party, etc, WE DRESS ACCORDINGLY!!! Personally, I think that alot of the problems that we have with the youth (and NO, I'm not elderly - currently 43 & dh is 48), dressing the way they do (i.e.: baggy pants, underwear showing, BRA straps showing), is a DIRECT reflection on the examples that have been set for them! In NO WAY do I suggest that the way they dress is because of the way they were raised!!! Trust me, my DH & I raised our children with all the morals that we were raised with, but, we STILL have to tell our son to "pull his pants up" & our daughters to "wear a strapless bra", LOL! If some of the posters here think it's O.K. to wear jeans/tank tops/flip flops to a "fine dining room", IMHO they should stay home & go to Mickey D's or Burger King!:) If that's not acceptable to them, there's always the buffet/pizza, etc! I would never judge anyone on what they wear, but a LITTLE BIT OF DRESS CODE COMPLIANCE FROM ADULTS, might go a long way in setting an example for today's teenagers!:)

yet, that's exactly what it was created for. alternative dining for those that didn't feel like dressing up. at home, we call that mcdonalds.

AMEN! (just read this post from you, AFTER, I posted my response to your 1st post)!!! GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE, LOL!!!:)

What? I have to buy closed toe shoes too? :(

I'm from FL. I wear flipflops year round except at work, where I wear steel toed weather resistant clunky boots.

I have been fortunate enough not to have to attend a funeral and none of my friends or family has been married yet (never been to a wedding.) The last time I wore a skirt/dress was at my graduation back in 06. So nope, I don't have "elegant night" clothes and am debating if I want to buy something to wear or not.

What? I have to buy closed toe shoes too? :(

I'm from FL. I wear flipflops year round except at work, where I wear steel toed weather resistant clunky boots.

I have been fortunate enough not to have to attend a funeral and none of my friends or family has been married yet (never been to a wedding.) The last time I wore a skirt/dress was at my graduation back in 06. So nope, I don't have "elegant night" clothes and am debating if I want to buy something to wear or not.

No you don't need closed toe shoes - just no "beach" flip flops (the plain rubbery ones).

If you think the MDR is fine dining, you need to step up your restaurants.

it's on the same level as a wedding, or a banquet for a company dinner. only difference there is you usually know those people, and you will surely pick out your best outfit just to show off.

I am not into "formal" but we do comply with dress expectations. I think there should be enforced standards in the dining room as it affects the atmosphere. IMHO jeans are never appropriate for dinner in any "nice" restaurant so it just doesn't seem appropriate for folks to wear them to the dining room. Because we prefer assigned dining, I don't know how optional elegant in different dining rooms would work. I'd rather if folks don't want to participate on even the most basic level (i.e. sundress / khakis & polo), enjoy one of the other dining options so they don't bring down the ambiance. The OP asked, so there's my opinion, for what it's worth.

That said, it's a cruise...we're on vacation...it's not a deal-breaker!

I agree that there may be some benefit to having other alternatives for people who do not want to dress up, but there already is an extensive buffet on the lido deck (although I have not eaten there at dinner as we always go to mdr. Maybe it could be improved upon?), room service, and people can carry out lobster from mdr. I just think it is inconsiderate to show up wearing jeans when it is supposed to be elegant night and other diners have made an effort to look nice.

If you haven't eaten at the buffet, then you're really not familiar with it. It's about on par with the Old Country Buffet. The food is not as good at the MDR by a long shot and it's not exactly extensive either.

I could make a comment on how dictating to other what to wear to make your experience "nice" isn't considerate either. But the fact of the matter is, CCL is the final arbiter of this. They don't make changes without focus-grouping them and user-surverying them six ways to Sunday.

Archived