Ato or Fakarava Pinnacle Snorkeling

goletans

Please advise!

I'm prebooked for Fakarava Pinnacle Snorkeling with the ship, but thinking about Ato's Blue Lagoon Tour. Is it possible to compare the snorkeling on these options? According to the dive guys on PG, snorkeling in the Garuae Pass is the absolute best. I've read and re-read all about Ato's wonderful tour and am just plain stuck. I do know that the Fakarava Pinnacle Snorkeling either will, or may already be sold out. Oh, yes, we're vegetarians so Ato's picnic isn't a plus for us. I would like to see the pink sand beach. HELP!

BTW: It's cheating to say I need to book another cruise so I can do both :)

We're in the same boat goletans! Hubs was supposed to dive, they've cancelled his trip and now we aren't sure which option to take. I did book the Pinnacle snorkel - but Hubs thinks we should do Ato's tour. I see that we are on Marilyn's list with Ato - so we need to decide asap.

I'm also a non-meat eater (not vegetarian, just picky :))

If anyone has any input - please help us out!

It was the Scuba Fakarava single tank dive that was cancelled. He doesn't want to do the two tank because then I'm waiting around for him for more than a few hours.

Yes, PG does call when they cancel. We've had two excursions cancelled on Fakarava to date.

I also want to know the difference between Ato's and Pinnacle Snorkeling tours. I want to do some snorkeling here but need to decide which tour is best.

Hibiscus - if we both do Ato's tour, I would trade you my Vegetables for your meat. Ha Ha;)

John

I havent done the pinnacle but can vouch for Ato.

For those who dont eat fish he has some kind of salad and coconut bread and watermelon. Make sure he knows in advance so he can bring some vegetables to grill on the open fire. I would even take some myself for him to grill.

the beauty of Ato's tour is the isolation - just you and the soft white sands and 10 or so select participants. I think the snorkelling as snorkelling goes was average. There were close encounters with reef sharks. Its the location that sings...

I also want to know the difference between Ato's and Pinnacle Snorkeling tours. I want to do some snorkeling here but need to decide which tour is best.

Hibiscus - if we both do Ato's tour, I would trade you my Vegetables for your meat. Ha Ha;)

John

I would agree John, but Hubs is a HUGE meat eater, and it's always spoken for around here :)

The meal isn't make or break for me, I'm looking for the experience...and like Emdee says, if the location is what Fakarava is all about, I can afford to skip a meal.

I'm leaning towards the Pinnacle snorkeling. It is touted as super terrific. The dive master advised Micah to do the 2-tank dive and the timing on that depends on the conditions. I have watched the Ato videos/photos. I don't think I want to see anybody spearing fish in person.

BTW: Our itinerary has changed a bit according to my TA

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a 10 day and did the Blue Lagoon tour with Ato. I can vouch that it was terrific. The spot they took us to was gorgeous--I almost felt like Brooke SHields and the place was perfect. The food also was outstanding. They had caught some fresh fish and grilled--fabulous!!!! The poisson cru also was one of the best we had on the trip. Marc's tour on Huahine won out for best poisson cru on the cruise but Ato's was certainly close. Fresh fruit and many veggies. It was perfect and so was the snorkeling! Beautiful at the motu and then at another spot. I would highly recommend Ato.

Emdee

Forgot to mention the coconut bread--also terrific. My husband hates processed coconut and won't eat anything with coconut. He did love the fresh coconut (which also they had slices almost everywhere we went including with Marc and Ato) and even liked the coconut bread, too.

• 4 years later...
Emdee

Forgot to mention the coconut bread--also terrific. My husband hates processed coconut and won't eat anything with coconut. He did love the fresh coconut (which also they had slices almost everywhere we went including with Marc and Ato) and even liked the coconut bread, too.

How do I get in touch with Ato at Fakarava Tours? Do you have an email address? Thanks so much!

doesn't sound too unfortunate to me! :):):)

Unfortunately....I won't get to see the Blue Lagoon again!

I am sure if I asked him to he would take me there as he is quite fond of me but he has been asking us to come and stay with him so it will be nice To spend the day with his family.

Edited by Emdee

we have only been on Ato's trip but it continues to be the one we talk about 4 years later! Would go again in a heartbeat! Just know Ato is not super quick at responding to emails but he does eventually..picnic -GRAND! fresh fish BBQ-yum and I am not a fish fan!!

we have only been on Ato's trip but it continues to be the one we talk about 4 years later! Would go again in a heartbeat! Just know Ato is not super quick at responding to emails but he does eventually..picnic -GRAND! fresh fish BBQ-yum and I am not a fish fan!!

Why don't you come on the Reunion and b2b? I promise to ask Ato to take us to The blue Lagoon.

Yes, I know he isn't great at responding that's why I suggest people use my name as I have sent him many groups .

Also if anyone doesn't get a response feel free to let me know the details and I will follow up with him.