Gr Caymans vs Ocho Rios vs Falmouth

Capecodbeachfront

60 year olds going on our second cruise...

Can anyone give suggestions as to which of these ports might be best for us?

Ex: Ocho Rios port stay is 7:30 to 3:30... Is this enough time? Considering it really would be more like 9 to 2:30? We are not the zipline types but Dunn Falls does sound interesting?

Falmouth has a new port but is it really in full use? Other things to do there?

Only thing I know about Caymans is 7 Mile beach? Or was that Grand Cayman?

Suggestions would be helpful. Cruise would likely be late Jan 2012?

thanks.

Haven't done Falmouth, so I can't comment on that.

Without knowing much about you and what you like, I'd recommend Grand Cayman over Ocho Rios. Dunn's River Falls, from what I understand, is a lot of exercise--we didn't do it because my DW didn't know if she would be able to do it--she gets worn out pretty easily. There are other things to do in Ocho Rios--we did river tubing, went to a plantation, and there is also Fern Gully. The area around Ocho Rios is beautiful, but you can get into bad sections of town fairly easily.

Grand Cayman is very westernized, it's like stepping off the ship into any American/Canadian city. There is plenty to do there, either through excursions or just shopping or going to Seven mile beach. Don't expect any real bargains here, though, because it's expensive. Also, it's a tender port, if that makes any difference to you.

We did both Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman on our first cruise, and loved them for different reasons.

I note you have been to Costa Maya ?

Did you enjoy that site ? How about Cozumel?

Our last cruise was Bahamas... Which we liked.

But my wife does not want to repeat any ports...

So I'm open to suggestions???

Thanks

Loved Costa Maya and Cozumel. Can't stand Grand Cayman. If you're not into swimming with rays which I'm not there is only the beach and I live in Florida with great beaches. I stay on the ship in GC.

In Costa Maya we went with Ivan to Mayan ruins. Also rode a golf cart into Majuhal (sp). Nice port area. Long pier.

Always plenty to do in Cozumel. Bar Hop was great. Got to see the other side of the island and 5 bars with a drink at each with nachos and salsa or guacamole. Beautiful beaches. I was on water after 2nd bar. The drinks are STRONG!

Sounds like GC might not be to our liking. Westernized... probably would be a duplicate of what we can get in Florida... FLL or Miami. Tendering off is okay but I wouldn't like the wait to get back on ship. Think I may re-adjust focus toward Costa Maya. Might take some convincing to do Cozumel? Is that one of the Mex ports where soldiers, jeeps, and machine guns are part of the local scenery? I'm sure the press hypes the dangers of travel in Mexico but I'm not looking for that kind of adventure. 30+ years ago we traveled to St Thomas... I still vividly remember the barb wire fences around the beaches, the vacuum tubes to pay for purchases, and the barred windows on shops. Never went back!

Sounds like GC might not be to our liking. Westernized... probably would be a duplicate of what we can get in Florida... FLL or Miami. Tendering off is okay but I wouldn't like the wait to get back on ship. Think I may re-adjust focus toward Costa Maya. Might take some convincing to do Cozumel? Is that one of the Mex ports where soldiers, jeeps, and machine guns are part of the local scenery? I'm sure the press hypes the dangers of travel in Mexico but I'm not looking for that kind of adventure. 30+ years ago we traveled to St Thomas... I still vividly remember the barb wire fences around the beaches, the vacuum tubes to pay for purchases, and the barred windows on shops. Never went back!

Grand Cayman is fun if you want to swim with the stingrays or are beach people. It also has some good snorkeling. Otherwise, I would not suggest it unless you want to buy expensive duty free goods.

I enjoyed Dunns River Falls, but a lot of people do not Like Ocho Rios.

I have never been to Falmouth.

Cozumel is definitely not one a port with soldiers, machine guns, etc. It offers nice beaches, snorkeling, shopping of all kinds, Mayan ruins (if you do not mind a long ride,) Mexican cooking courses, etc.

Costa Maya is a relatively new port and, the last time I was there it was not as developed as Cozumel, but that has probably changed a little. There are Mayan ruins about a half hour from the port and, of course, beaches.

Grand Cayman has Sting Ray City, which is by far my favorite excursion I have done on 9 cruises. (done SRC 3 times as of last month's cruise)

It also has the Turtle Farm, world class diving and snorkeling and Seven Mile beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to. (not a beach anywhere in Florida nearly as nice)

It is also nice that with the huge international banking community there, it is by far the most developed Caribbean island we have been to.

Ocho Rios, made the mistake of booking it for our 10th anniversary cruise and we will never go back. (be aware that 95% of every excursion offered by Carnival goes to Dunn's River Falls at some point, so it gets a bit crowded)

Have no idea about Falmouth.....

Bill

Calica has the soldiers with the guns. My daughters were a little intimidated when we ended up there.

We are 2-- 60+ year olds and have been to Ocho Rios several times. My parents in their late 60's(at the time) really enjoyed Dunn River Falls. They were very active people and the guides were so helpful that they had no trouble getting up the falls.

I really do not like Costa Maya or Grand Cayman anymore. I used to love GC but it is so crowded and I feel a little dirty now. Of course everyone has their own opinion. this is just mine. If you have the chance to go to Half Moon Cay go there. I know that was not one of your choices but it is a great place for those of our years!!

Have a great time no matter where you land!!

Archived