Not allowed to rent a power chair?

Mama24

I just spoke with someone at Special Needs at Sea. I was told they will not rent me a power chair because I am not a regular power chair user. She said it was too complicated and powerful and it would be dangerous for me to use it. :(

She would however rent me a scooter. I'm hesitant to do this for a couple reasons. I can't walk or stand so I would have to transfer to it from either my own manual wheelchair or the bed. Not sure if this would work. I'm also concerned about using it in places like the MDR. I do not want to have to transfer to a dining room chair.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm seriously considering doing just that. :) Thanks for the idea!

Is maneuvering in a power chair difficult to learn? We'll be on Freedom of the Seas -- the ship is just too big for me to get around by myself in a manual wheelchair.

I just spoke with someone at Special Needs at Sea. I was told they will not rent me a power chair because I am not a regular power chair user. She said it was too complicated and powerful and it would be dangerous for me to use it. :(

She would however rent me a scooter. I'm hesitant to do this for a couple reasons. I can't walk or stand so I would have to transfer to it from either my own manual wheelchair or the bed. Not sure if this would work. I'm also concerned about using it in places like the MDR. I do not want to have to transfer to a dining room chair.

Any thoughts on this?

standard procedure.. no rental company allows someone who does not use a motorized chair in their daily life to rent one.

not sure a scooter can be brought all the way into the DR but I am pretty sure you could not remain in the scooter anyway

I completely agree that a power chair is a better choice for the needs you stated. My advice is to call back and tell them you regularly use a power chair. Problem solved. ;)

lying is dangerous. especially at sea where the floors are not stable. if you are not used to using one you can get hurt..or worse, hurt someone else by being unable to properly control the chair.

Is maneuvering in a power chair difficult to learn? We'll be on Freedom of the Seas -- the ship is just too big for me to get around by myself in a manual wheelchair.

yes actually they are very difficult to learn how to operate safely and definitely should not try to do so on a ship where the decks roll.

it is incredibly foolish, shortsighted and dangerous to consider lying about having experience.

standard procedure.. no rental company allows someone who does not use a motorized chair in their daily life to rent one.

not sure a scooter can be brought all the way into the DR but I am pretty sure you could not remain in the scooter anyway

My husband uses a scooter all the time .Yes they can go all the way into the dining room ,and if you dont transfer to a chair,your scooter seat will turn so you can sit on it at your table. However even scooters take time learning how to operate. I can always tell when people on cruises are renting for the frst time. One really has to look out for the way they drive them. Good luck!!!!

I respectfully disagree.

My DH uses a power chair full time, and many people have driven it with no experience - for example, from the car to the garage when taking him somewhere. No problems, and nothing like the hilarious scenes I have witnessed in grocery stores when people try to use their scooters.

The scooter we rented on our last cruise was very complicated to learn for someone who is used to a manual/power chair combo. It has a much bigger footprint, it was difficult for him to straddle with legs that don't bend well, and it was completely impractical in the buffet area. I think scooters are a great solution for someone who can walk a little and can leave the scooter outside of crowded areas. But they are a poor choice for many folks who cannot walk.

If the OP wants to use a power chair on her next cruise, she should use one. And if that means renting it ahead of time and practicing a little onshore, fine.

IMHO:

Practice is a good idea.

A power chair, with practice, can turn on a dime. Can not do that in a scooter.

A power chair takes up less room on the elevator.

A power chair requires an accessible cabin, a scooter can go in a regular cabin.

A transfer board may help your transfer problems.

Many people try to steer a power chair using fingers, you get more control using the palm of your hand. The slower speeds give you more control.

With any mobility aid, your assigned table in the MDR may not be accessible. Visit the MDR as soon as you board and find your table. If needed, talk to the staff about being moved to a different table.

Thank you for all the help. :)

The last thing I want to do is hurt others or myself, so I've decided to rent a power chair for a week here before the cruise so that I'll have at least some experience. Not much I know, but I'll have some idea of how they work. It's the best solution I could come up with.

I was so disappointed when I hit this snag. I've been looking forward to having the independence a power chair would give me aboard the FOS.

Lea, Another idea is to go to a store that sells scooters and power chairs. Try them out. Get hints from the sales people. They will be most willing to show you the variety of products that will best fit your needs. Maybe you are not in the market for a chair now, you might be in the future and they most likely will be willing to help. MY FIL bought a power chair, never having tried one out. He can't use it at all. He can't control the "joy stick".

By sitting in a chair in a store, you will know what size, cushion, etc will be most comfortable to rent.

Have a great cruise.

yes actually they are very difficult to learn how to operate safely and definitely should not try to do so on a ship where the decks roll.

it is incredibly foolish, shortsighted and dangerous to consider lying about having experience.

Once again sounds like someone is going to get hurt. I am sorry if you have mobility issues, but from someone who has been ASSAULTED several times by people driving these things, you have NO BUSINESS using one with the limited experience you have described.

All I can say is if you ASSAULTED me with one of those things, you will have more Medical Issues to deal with. I knocked one person out of their chair after they ASSAULTED me with it as I attempted to stand back up. AND I WILL DO IT AGAIN if needed.

Overall I think they should be BANNED from Cruise Ships. If you need a Motorized Wheelchair & you OWN one, then that is fine. But these things are being used by too many INCOMPETENT people that are causing Accidents and ASSAULTS upon others.

Also FYI, if you hit someone here in the USA with one. You can be PROSECUTED Criminally for Assault with Battery. I did so when I was ASSAULTED several years ago in a Wal-Mart.

Airwolf, I believe you are talking about scooters, since that's what Walmart offers.

Sounds as though each form-factor works better for different people. And they both have learning curves. I think people should be able to rent whichever style of motorized assistance they need.

Once again sounds like someone is going to get hurt. I am sorry if you have mobility issues, but from someone who has been ASSAULTED several times by people driving these things, you have NO BUSINESS using one with the limited experience you have described.

All I can say is if you ASSAULTED me with one of those things, you will have more Medical Issues to deal with. I knocked one person out of their chair after they ASSAULTED me with it as I attempted to stand back up. AND I WILL DO IT AGAIN if needed.

Overall I think they should be BANNED from Cruise Ships. If you need a Motorized Wheelchair & you OWN one, then that is fine. But these things are being used by too many INCOMPETENT people that are causing Accidents and ASSAULTS upon others.

Also FYI, if you hit someone here in the USA with one. You can be PROSECUTED Criminally for Assault with Battery. I did so when I was ASSAULTED several years ago in a Wal-Mart.

DFW Airwolf, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with others in power chairs/scooters, however I think your reaction may be a bit over the top. And if you are constantly being ASSAULTED by these chairs, perhaps you either have unbelievably bad luck or you need to watch where you are going. I use a manual chair and I can attest to the fact that people simply don't see me and walk directly into me or in front of me and I have hit them because I cannot stop quickly enough (I'm not wheeling fast, trust me). Slamming into someone on purpose is wrong, but I genuinely don't think that everytime someone bumps you with their power chair that they are assaulting you.

DFW Airwolf, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with others in power chairs/scooters, however I think your reaction may be a bit over the top. And if you are constantly being ASSAULTED by these chairs, perhaps you either have unbelievably bad luck or you need to watch where you are going. I use a manual chair and I can attest to the fact that people simply don't see me and walk directly into me or in front of me and I have hit them because I cannot stop quickly enough (I'm not wheeling fast, trust me). Slamming into someone on purpose is wrong, but I genuinely don't think that everytime someone bumps you with their power chair that they are assaulting you.

ChollaChick...I have experienced the same thing. I am an amputee and either use my scooter or wheelchair on the ship when we cruise...I have found that I am under the sight line of most people (especially the tall one's) who are busy looking at things or trying to see over other ambulatory people so that they walk directly in front of me, I can stop my w/c quicly but not the scooter, I keep the scooter in slow mode in groups of people, but I still cannot stop on a dime. I try to vocally warn people of my presence, but even that does not help as someone tries to get on an elevator ahead of me, or cut in line.

I am sorry Airwolf got bumped into but his anger is out of place...I hope he never needs to use a w/c or scooter to enjoy his vacation...I cannot beleive anyone tries to bump into another person on purpose (I must admit though that I have seen people on scooters going too fast for conditions on board, so a 'please slow down' might be amore appropriate response)

You seem to be over reacting to someone who is simply looking for the best mobility device for their needs.

I can tell you that were you to ASSAULT my son or Mother for bumping into you with their scooter or wheelchair you would be PROSCUTED for ASSAULT. I find it mind boggling that an able bodied person would ASSAULT a handicapped person for ANY reason. Adults use other means to handle situations like this. Perhaps there is something in your attitude that turns an accident into an ASSAULT. Gotta ask ,did you REALLY knock a handicapped person out of their wheelchair??? Seriously?? That is so far beyond over rection to nearly any scenario I can imagine that I can't imagine you were not thrown in jail!! Be glad it was not a member of my family, or frankly that it did not happen in our general vicinity, YOU would have been dealing with medical bills.

DFW Airwolf, I've been thinking about your post ever since I read it last night. I admit, it bothered me a lot. My first reaction was to come back with something as angry as your post was, and even now I'm sorely tempted to answer you with a snarky comment. I'm very sorry you were injured by the thoughtlessness and carelessness of others, but I wasn't the one who hurt you. I can assure you, I am always very conscientious and courteous of others around me, but that courtesy and care should work both ways, don't you think? As I said before, the last thing I want to do is injure someone, and I believe the overwhelming majority of my fellow wheelchair and scooter users feel the same way.

Thanks for all the genuinely helpful replies, everyone.

DFW Airwolf,

If you have been "assaulted" multiple times be people using mobility aids, then perhaps you should evaluate whether your actions are partially at fault. Do you suddenly turn around, stop, or talk on your cell phone while walking?

My mom uses a manual wheelchair and she never moves very fast. However, people regularly run into her. Usually it's because the person makes a sudden turn, not noticing that my mom is beside him/her. The person turning into her is clearly at fault, but that person almost always rudely tells my mom to watch where she is going, like my mom has no right to be there.

I can't believe that you would publicly admit to knocking around a disabled person. That makes you as bad as the other person, assuming the disabled person did, in fact, deliberately run into you. If they did deliberately run into you, are you certain that you did not say or do something to provoke the attack? From the tone of your post, it seems like you have a hateful attitude towards anyone with a disability.

Mama24 has said that she plans to rent a powerchair in advance of her cruise to learn to how to control it in a contained setting (her own home). I think that shows she is a conscientous person and is not deserving of the attack.

Oh, Lea, please, please, please don't take Airwolf's comments to heart. We have seen his rants on here before, and he seems to have an - ahem - extreme position. The internet is full of people like this; you can't let them get to you.

You are being more than responsible. I agree with those who suggest that you simply try out a power chair at a local store, rather than going to the expense of renting it. You may find that you can quickly get "the touch", or you may find that it takes awhile and renting for a week prior to the cruise would help.

Trying to provide some insight here as I use a Power chair at home and a scooter while cruising.

A. For either to be rented, you must have your Dr fax a copy of your prescription (describing why you need either.) I had to do this in 2008 and have had to provide one on an annual basis.

B. Using a Power Chair is difficult sometimes. The controls are on the arm and look kind of like a Joystick. You CANNOT look at the Joystick and try to go anywhere or you will wreck, been there done that when I first got mine. It took me nearly 3 days to learn to drive it (have damaged walls as evidence:o. You have to look at where you want to go, not where you are.

C. A scooter is so easy to get onto and off of. It is much easier than getting into and out of the power or manual chairs!!

D. You can stay on the scooter wherever you go, except for when getting onto, on, and off of a tender. This includes all dining venues. The dining venues will move a chair so that you can stay on the scooter or in the power/manual chair.

E. It is so much cheaper to rent a scooter than it is to rent a Power Chair.

Hope these explanations help you.

Joanie

ChollaChick...I have experienced the same thing. I am an amputee and either use my scooter or wheelchair on the ship when we cruise...I have found that I am under the sight line of most people (especially the tall one's) who are busy looking at things or trying to see over other ambulatory people so that they walk directly in front of me, I can stop my w/c quicly but not the scooter, I keep the scooter in slow mode in groups of people, but I still cannot stop on a dime. I try to vocally warn people of my presence, but even that does not help as someone tries to get on an elevator ahead of me, or cut in line.

I am sorry Airwolf got bumped into but his anger is out of place...I hope he never needs to use a w/c or scooter to enjoy his vacation...I cannot beleive anyone tries to bump into another person on purpose (I must admit though that I have seen people on scooters going too fast for conditions on board, so a 'please slow down' might be amore appropriate response)

I agree with you and others who have had the problems of able bodied people tripping over us and other incidents:(

Our last cruise, September 10-24th 2011 I was at a dead standstill, with the scooter turned off, in the Atrium waiting my turn in line to talk with the Front Desk staff when a man literally fell over me:eek: He started screaming that I'd run over him and demanded the staff do something about me and my scooter.

Thankfully both Front Desk personnel had seen the entire incident and when a Security Officer arrived and was told by the staff what had happened, the Officer was able to calm the man down. I imagine he received some chocolate covered strawberries or something...

I still apologized to the man, but in all fairness he was in the wrong 100% as he was not looking for any obstacles (read me in my scooter) in his way.

I, on the other hand never received one word of apology from the man:( The staff on the other hand were wonderful and apologized profusely!!

Joanie

DFW Airwolf,

If you have been "assaulted" multiple times be people using mobility aids, then perhaps you should evaluate whether your actions are partially at fault. Do you suddenly turn around, stop, or talk on your cell phone while walking?

My mom uses a manual wheelchair and she never moves very fast. However, people regularly run into her. Usually it's because the person makes a sudden turn, not noticing that my mom is beside him/her. The person turning into her is clearly at fault, but that person almost always rudely tells my mom to watch where she is going, like my mom has no right to be there.

I can't believe that you would publicly admit to knocking around a disabled person. That makes you as bad as the other person, assuming the disabled person did, in fact, deliberately run into you. If they did deliberately run into you, are you certain that you did not say or do something to provoke the attack? From the tone of your post, it seems like you have a hateful attitude towards anyone with a disability.

Mama24 has said that she plans to rent a powerchair in advance of her cruise to learn to how to control it in a contained setting (her own home). I think that shows she is a conscientous person and is not deserving of the attack.

Bingo

Our last cruise, September 10-24th 2011 I was at a dead standstill, with the scooter turned off, in the Atrium waiting my turn in line to talk with the Front Desk staff when a man literally fell over me:eek: He started screaming that I'd run over him and demanded the staff do something about me and my scooter.

This exact thing happened to my mom. She was parked in the atrium on her scooter waiting for me to finish at the information desk. The scooter was turned off . Someone walked/backed right into her. The woman said..."You hit me" My mom said how could I have hit you? I wasn't moving and my scooter is off. The woman still thought it was my mom's fault. CRAZY!!!!

My mom has used her scooter for the last ten years and is very experienced. She has never hit anyone but many people have hit her. She also drives in slow speed as people are always cutting in front of her. Elevators are the worst as people practically crawl over her so they get into the elevator before her. I also believe scooters/power chairs are in a lower field of vision and able bodied people do not see them.

However, our pet peeve is people who rent scooters and don't know how to use them. If you are not experienced you may hurt yourself as well as others. Not only that but you give all scooter users a bad name as Airwolf has.

OP may I suggest if you don't want to rent a power chair before your cruise, you can always go to a scooter store and ask to test drive a power chair for a while. This way it is free and you can get experienced at the same time. Good Luck!

DFW Airwolf,

OK let me clarify a few things. I have been ASSAULTED when someone in a scooter was in a hurry & wanted everyone out of their way. I was knocked to the ground & had trouble getting back up because of injuries to my legs & hip from being knocked down. I pushed that person to the ground out of their scooter thing as I stumbled my way back up. Police were called, I was seen by Paramedics. Police report was made, but No arrests were made. Civil Suit was filed & their insurance company settled with me for a modest monetary amount plus medical payments.

I may have an attitude about these things because of my experiences, but you do too. Just look at your comments about wanting others to have sympathy for your disability & needs.

Recently I had to use a scooter at the store because of issues I had with my legs. I tried to walk the store normally but after a short time, could barely continue. So a store person offered to get me a scooter. I didnt run into anyone & was very cautious whenever I went around a corner or got around others. I knew I didnt have experience & made sure I was safe & others stayed safe around me. THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO DO.

The main problem I believe with these scooter things & a lot of other problems is a sense of entitlement everyone thinks they deserve these days. I have no issue with people who have needs to use these devices. But I have seen some people use these things like a Amusement Park ride. I have also seen people think they can use these things as a race car to get around faster than everyone else. These are the types that bother me. These things are supposed to be tools to allow people to lead a more normal life. For that I reason I have no issue with them when they are used in a safe manner. But it is like anything, with their use comes a obligation to be responsible. When you are not, then I will have a problem with you. And everyone else should also.

Archived