Saw the Mercury Docked in Monterrey, CA on 4/26

lucyjohnz

I'm from Fort Worth, TX, but am here in Monterrey on a business conference. My room here at the Mariott happens to have a beautiful view of the Monterrey Bay and guess what I saw yesterday docked around 2pm - yes, you guessed it (from my topic title, maybe), the Celebrity Mercury.

I ran out and purchased a disposable camera, walked to the wharf and took several pictures. This was quite a thrill to me as we're cruising on the Mercury out of Seattle this July to Alaska. Seeing the ship out there made me really excited about our cruise.

My question: does anyone know why it was there? Is it doing a repositioning cruise to Seattle or is this part of a normal itinerary?

Thanks for any info you have.

Lucy

Hiicon_smile.gif she is lovely, isn't she? I sailed her last month!

Yes, this itineray includes Monterey. They sailed from San Francisco...and go to Monterey...Catalina Island and Cabo San Lucas. Its not a repositioning cruise..as they will return to SF this coming weekend icon_smile.gif

I am not sure when she starts her Alaska itinerary...sometime next month possibly?

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

It sure was exciting seeing her - she is quite an elegant looking ship. I figured it was the Mercury even before I could read the name because I have sailed the Galaxy before and she looked like it.

I would imagine Alaska cruises start quite soon - sometime in May.

Did you sail on the cruise that goes to Monterey? Did you like the port? Monterey is quite a pretty city. They're all complaining right now though because of the "extreme" heat - it's 85! Back in Texas, we call that perfect weather. However, hardly anyone has AC here and it can get uncomfortable at 85. I heard temps in San Francisco are near 100. Now, that is hot.

Lucy

Hi Lucy...I was incorrect about this particular itinerary..thought it was the same as mine...but April 25 is a 10 night cruise..they do Monterey and Catalina Island and Cabo..but they also do Puerta Vallerta (sp)and Mazatlan.

I loved my cruise! Monterey was really nice....Catalina Island was lovley as well and had a great time in Cabo icon_biggrin.gif Had lunch at a place called "Margaritvillas" with my tablemates!

I was looking at the ROLL CALLS...I think as soon as this sailing is over...the Alaskan cruises start! (that would be the first week of May!)

Oh wow..100 degrees in SF?? That is HOT!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Lucy,

We are on her to Alaska 7/23 when are you going? I started a roll call but have not had ant response.

Ho

Norway 9/00

Sovereign 3/01

Rhapsody 9/01

Grand 9/02

Rhapsody 9/03

Next cruise,

Mercury 7/23/04

Infinity 4/6/05

The Mercury does a 12 night RT cruise from SF to Alaska on the 5th and 17th of May. Then a repo cruise to Vancouver and a non revenue sail to Seattle, then the 7 night Alaska cruises.

Just so as not to confuse, the Mercury would actually have been anchored in the bay, Monterey being a tender port.

Reggie icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rhapsody 10-17-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;12;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Mercury 12-06-04

Monarch - Sometime soon

Viking Serenade 1998

Viking Serenade 1999

Voyager of the Seas 2000

Viking Serenade 2001

Majesty of the Seas 11-2002

Norwegian Sea 11-2002

Vision of the Seas 11-2002

Mercury 5-03-03

Monarch of the Seas 6-09-03

Mercury 10-12-03

Monarch 11-17-03

Monarch 1-19-04

Monarch 3-29-04

God bless the USA and all freedom loving people. May God protect all those who fight and die to protect those freedoms.

Yes, you are absolutely right about the "anchoring" as opposed to "docking". I did see the lifeboats being used as tenders - at 2pm they zipped in and out pretty empty. Since the bay is full of little boats, it seemed to make manuevering (sp?) tricky in the bay.

And, yes, it was very exciting seeing "our" ship in the bay. My parent live 20 minutes from Galveston and when we visit them, it's typically on weekends. We always drive down to Galveston and look for any ships docked there. The Carnival ships always look big and bulky compared to the RCL Rhapsody with all its glass. Somehow, too, the Celebrity ships I've been on look classy with their navy hulls. No matter where you see them though, I enjoy just looking at them and I'm always very, very jealous!

Lucy

Archived